Author Topic: northland mini airplane jigs?  (Read 3544 times)

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
northland mini airplane jigs?
« on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:38 PM »
I just traded some stuff for 5 of em but cant seem to find much info on them. Anyone have any luck with them?
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
Re: northland mini airplane jigs?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2013, 11:47 PM »
Yeah.  If they're what I think they are.  Just a head.  No body?  No trailer hook?  They were 1/8 oz. or 1/16 oz. sizes.  I like the glow in the dark.  Don't know if they made any that didn't glow.  There was pink, blue, green, and orange, I believe.  Wish I could get my hands on a BUNCH of them.  I used to knock the daylights out of some dandy cutthroat trout with a 1" piece of nightcrawler on them.    One afternoon with my nephew and his friend watching, I caught probably 18 or 20 cutthroats in less than 20 minutes.  As fast as I could get it back in the water I had another fish take it.  I'd reel them in, they'd fall off the hook, (I'd bent the barb down) if the nightcrawler was still there I'd drop it back in and wham.  If the nightcrawler was gone, I'd hurry and put another piece on and get another fish.
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2013, 11:59 PM »

This type

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2013, 08:48 AM »
I have caught walleye on them when tipped with a wax worm or minnow head. I have had better luck with Darters and I believe it's because of the rattles in them.

WS

Offline Fishrmn

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Prayin' for sub-zero temps.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2013, 06:05 PM »
I haven't had any luck with the new ones.  The newer model has the tail fin, like a jigging Rapala.  The older ones, like the one at the bottom of your picture, are the ones that I wish I could still find.
Fishrmn

"I tolerate with the utmost latitude the right of others to differ from me in opinion." Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2013, 03:30 PM »
I have some of the bottom ones around here somewhere. I'll have to look for them some day. Believe they are blue/glow and yellow/orange.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2013, 06:13 PM »
These can be some very hot lures at times. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2013, 06:30 PM »
Wish i could catch a fish on them. Tried the other day but no luck. Any tips?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2013, 06:59 PM »
These are the kind of jigs, that one should keep a jigging motion going when a fish is coming at it.  Well for myself, I do slow down the jigging motion for more of a glide to ensure a solid bite.  Most of the time the bite does come at the end of the glide, the pause, or just before my next lift.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:42 AM »
Ive had success jigging perch, pickerel, and smallmouth on a jig identical to the little orange one in that picture. i like to use a small panfish tube on mine. Good action and when the bite is really hot there isnt the inconvenience of having to re-bait...
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.