Author Topic: If you had to pick one type of lure for jigging, what would you grab, and why ?  (Read 7549 times)

surflizard

Because My primary target species is Lake trout, I'll have to go with a Red & white 3/4 oz glow head Buck tail with a 4" skirt. Over the years, I've tried pretty much everything out there and I aways end up with the bucktails for the simple reason that it consistently out fishes all the other lures for me on all the different lakes that I target for lakers ! I did have some success with a Berkley 4" power tube on one particular lake, but it wasn't consistant and it didn't work anywhere else.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
i would have to say buckshot rattle spoon in glow rainbow trout color.i use this spoon for catching the bait i use for lakers and i catch my fair share of lakers, as well as perch pike pickerel and bass.

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
For lakers in my homewaters this is my selection and why:

1.  FCGS-117 Clown bucktail in the 3/4oz size.  I have found that lakers seem to "see" the white easier in the stained waters. The added Chartruese seems to agrivate the lakers more than any other color, IMO.  Then the final touch it the little bit of red on it that simulates bleeding. On lakes loaded with dinks, I drop down to a 1/4oz bucktail!

2. 3/4oz silver/glow or silver/purp Pimple with a single hook and a piece of shiner on it. I agressively pound the bottom with these jigs and it has yeilded great results!

3. Buckshot rattle spoon in the #12 gold shiner color for suspended fish. They go nuts for this jig suspended in some of the lakes up my way!

Bullelk34

Orange/glo buckshot. Its what we use 90% of the time for perch and walleye. The other 10% it's a perch/glo buckshot.

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
swedish pimple go to jig for most species :tipup:

but lakers ive had the best luck with white power bait tubes the few times i have gone in maine if the laker apears on the vex it pounds the tube every time like it was candy but i have only fished for them a handfull of times.
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
I'm also a laker fisherman and my go to jig is a big Williams Whitefish, Gold, Wrinkle.

Secondary is a Lemon/Lime Buzz Bomb in the 4" size.

Third is a Bad Boyz jig tipped with a crappie tube.

Offline Richard Cr

• IceShanty Rookie
My personal favorite is quarter stick of dynamite with a 3/4" x 6" stove bolt attached to reduce boyancy. This really takes care of the finicky issue  ;)

Since I prefer to fish for walleyes, my actual favorite would probably be a jiggin rap-firetiger size 1. I've had good luck on THE bay as well as several other lakes with this.
Hoovering like a fly....waiting for a windshield on the freeway

surflizard

Hey Drifter, how goes the battle ? Is it possible to order those bad boyz jigs online ? I gotta ask, Any ice up yonder yet ?  ;D

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
I mainly use hali's for the smaller perch presentation. We do have one lake here with lakers in it, though, and I will try some big bucktails on em. Thanks fer the tip! :tipup:

Offline IceNomads

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GOT ICE!!
I would have to say a frostee spoon!
 FISHIN' IS LIKE SEX, THE LESS YOU GET, THE MORE YOU LIE!!

Offline bababooey

• Team IceShanty Regular
Gotta love the Frostee!!

Offline rodrunner

• Team IceShanty Addict
Buckshot rattlespoon for me..Great verticle jigger..May have a new favorite this year tho..Will report back\

[img]http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee5/elkcrazedfrk/TeamWyoming1.jpg[img]

Offline lindenborn

• Team IceShanty Addict
I would have to say a frostee spoon!

same here catch everything on it!!!!  and lots of em!

Offline troutsdaddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
My go-to lure here in wyoming for lakers is predominately a tubejig...although the rattlespoons and the williams spoons catch their fair share!!!
troutsdaddy

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
A Northland Forage Minnow Spoon in orange glow or green glow, rigged with a Hali dropper chain tipped with a waxie or soft plastic, depending on species....

Offline weavs150

• Team IceShanty Regular
a silver with orange glow pimple  tipped with a minnow head for perch and walleye

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
I would use a jigging rap.

Your question says type of lure, and doesn't limit me on the number, size, or color.

I like the Jigging Rap, I have caught a variety of different fish on them,  Perch, Walleye, Pike, Bass, Whitefish, and Trout.

Wiener

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Forage minnow spoon for me...However I have more forage minnow jigs in my tackle box.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
I have to agree with Wiener on the rapala jigging raps if I had to pick one type of lure for jigging. With the different sizes & colours most types of fish can be caught.
Here are some of mine.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline ImAJigginFool

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I see 'em!!
I go with a 1/4 oz green and yellow Hali jig, loaded up with grubs.

The WORST day of fishing is ALWAYS better than the BEST day in the office.

Offline Ekruger01

• Team IceShanty Regular
White fatboy, red micro nuggie, proven and tried my number one lure

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
5mm fiskas e65 epoxy with a glow nuggie
Dave

Offline gould

• Team IceShanty Regular
I like a 1/32oz orange jig head and white or glow nuggies.

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
 Perch colored Hali loaded with maggots.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
I would have to say a small Guster/Slab Grabber/Kens type spoon with a red bead as I have caught a metric crap load of perch on these over the years.

J-

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
if I am fishing perch I am reaching for a glow red Genz Fat Boy, I have never caught the numbers of perch on any other jig as I have a fat boy.

For eyes its a toss up between a gold pimple and a Buckshot

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
Orange and white Northland forage minnow, with 6 spikes. Had my most productive season last year with this combo.

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
My "Go To jig" is a 1/2oz. jighead on a 4/0 Gamagatsu hook, although I have been experimenting with a Matzuo Sickle Hook with a 4'' tube, either white, chartruse or another preferably un-named color. tipped with a minnow, bullhead or strip of sucker meat. Why? Because they produce.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
tuff question.. I vote the jigging rap as well, the smaller sizes are multi species, from perch, crappie, walleye to pike

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
Perch colored Hali loaded with maggots.

I agree, have caught just about every species in MA with this combo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.