New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Line on Brant Lake  (Read 1132 times)

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
Line on Brant Lake
« on: Feb 27, 2012, 08:21 PM »
         While fishing on  Brant Lake today I found some Dacron line, about 40', left on the ice w/some other debris. Don't these people know that line could get tangled in birds & fish not only that it gives us ice fishermen a bad name. My 2 sons & I picked up the junk to dispose of it properly, I'm not looking for any recognition, I just want to remind you all our duty to help keep the place we enjoy most, clean. The pic I took doesn't tell how bad it was .

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Re: Line on Brant Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2012, 08:26 PM »
Icewanderer, that was great of you and your sons to pick that up ! If people now don't repsect the resources, and they are fragile ecosystems, then who is going to tell young kids why there is no good fishing left when they are adults  ? I personally don;t ever want to see the environment, and fishing opportunities be worse for my kids than they are for me. I won't even let plastic food wrappers blow away from me - I believe in the motto " CARRY IT ON,  CARRY IT OFF " with no exceptions.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2012, 05:00 AM »
Mealworm told me where you guys' were fishing. Picked up a bunch of junk when I was out there last Thursday. Couple hundred yards away from where you were yesterday. As you said, a pat on the back is unneccesary. But, it's a good thing we've fished that lake this week.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2012, 06:01 AM »
i was up at lincoln pond 2 weekends ago, and there were a group of guys in a shanty. i could tell they were in there 20's or so. it was very windy. i dont have a shanty and im sitting there jigging and i here "clink, clink, clank clank." i see an empty labatt blue light can blowing down the lake right to me. i pick it up and put in my sled thinking how could they not here it? also, i return cans so good for me...lol

half hour later, the same thing happens, coming from the same direction. again, i can understand if they didnt realize they were blowing away, which could have happened seeing as they didnt bother to give chase to them, but i dont know how they couldnt hear it clinking down the lake. anyway, i picked it up and added it to my collection. oh, and in between this a wrapper of some of those little propane tanks flew in my direction that i picked up.

on the other side of me was another little shanty with a few guys kigging. they packed up and walked across the lake to that shanty. obviously were part of that group. they were jigging in a good spot i like to fish, so i told my cousin i was going to go over and jig in their holes they just vacated. as i approached, i saw something on the ice. 3 more empty labatt blue light cans.

maybe i need to become more vocal and say something to people like that. i know there are always going to be people like that, and immature kids, but i think i was upset mostly because its a lake that i grew up on that has great fishingand is such a cool place to go every summer, and even winter.

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2012, 06:52 AM »
yea sometimes ill spend half an hour chaising a plastic bag that got away from me. its good exercise ;D

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2012, 06:57 AM »
Nitzer,
Sadly, I think you're better off taking one for the team and keeping quiet. If that's how they carry themselves, I can't imagine they'd be very approachable or react well to someone else being critical of them. You'd would be 110% in the right in my mind. However, when you measure the worth of saying something it may not add up. Pick it up and keep moving. Unless, your crew is bigger of course! ;D

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2012, 07:13 AM »
prchslyr i'm gonna have to disagree with you there,but first just let me say that i love to "flip off at the mouth" no matter t5he size of the crew i deff would have had some choice words with those fellas or any one else that deserves an ear full no matter where we are.i think thats why my wife hates taking me out in public she never knows whats gonna fly out of my mouth

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2012, 07:14 AM »
oh i definately agree. thats what i do. i am not the confrontational type. i mean, dont get me wrong, it was eating me up inside. when u say take one for the team, i hope you mean just picking up the trash and keeping quiet in person and not being quiet on ere.

i figure if they are on this website, there might be a chance they will read this and know who they are. if not, there it's out of my hands, but at least i know i did the right thing.

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2012, 07:15 AM »
hahaha, nice mealworm. i ususally fish with that type of person, so at elast i have that side covered if it isnt me...lol

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2012, 07:45 AM »
hahaha, nice mealworm. i ususally fish with that type of person, so at elast i have that side covered if it isnt me...lol
We should get ahold of Combz and all of us go up there and fish! You and I can go around picking up the trash while Combz and Mealworm set dudes straight.  ;D
I too tend to be too nice for my own good.

Offline adkgold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2012, 07:56 AM »
Growing up in that area, I am sure that there will be no changing them.  I would assume they know that littering is wrong but do it anyways.  Its hard to make people care about certain things.  Until the state/county/town puts trash receptacles at launches and public access points, I do not see stubborn people changing their ways.

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:03 AM »
sounds like a plan prchslyr...would love to get up to lincoln with at least 3-4 people. igo up with 2 and would love to have more tip ups out there. i know ther are nice fish in there.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:18 AM »
sounds like a plan prchslyr...would love to get up to lincoln with at least 3-4 people. igo up with 2 and would love to have more tip ups out there. i know ther are nice fish in there.
i'd be down for a trip to stinkin lincoln

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:19 AM »
hahahaha....i always call it that........where did you hear that from? lol

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:30 AM »
i been calling it that since i first fished there,i love that place but dont get to fish there as much as i like

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:33 AM »
id be down for fishing there! always like trying a new lake!

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:39 AM »
well, if this helps or works, i have fri march 9th off and am taking mon march 12th and tue march 13th off to do some last day pike fishing if anyone is interested. i mean, i have no clue on the ice situation then, but as of sunday there was a foot out there. if the weekdays dont work, the weekend should be good. my buddy pikeman3033 would probably come up as well, and my cousin and brother. that could give us a good amount of bodies and cover some water for those elusive tigers in there...hahahahhaha

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:46 AM »
yea that sounds good. ive nevr caoghta tiger so i would love to try.

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:48 AM »
i have never gotten one out of the ice....got a few small ones in the open water. pikeman3033 got a nice 15-16lber a few years ago out of there with me.

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:50 AM »
would love to know if they still stock them yearly. does anyone know? i have that sportsman book that only goes up to 2003. my grandfatehr use to watch them dump em into the lake. havent heard anything recently. if anyone knows, let me know

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2012, 08:51 AM »
nice! all you can do is try. if you put in enogh time you will get one! how r the pike in there. any size to them?

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2012, 09:26 AM »
yeah, caught a couple nice ones last weekend around 35 inches...didnt weigh them. nice dark colored, long, thick ones. they are gorgeous up there. i know there has got to be a nice 18-20lber lurking. if not a few. problem is, need big shiners...the bigger the better. i use perch and catch some, but do better with the shiners in that lake.

if we go up there that weekend, will anyone be able to get any. any where from 6 inches and up wud be perfect.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2012, 10:29 AM »
hmmm i will look around fro big bait but its tough to find.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2012, 10:36 AM »
would love to know if they still stock them yearly. does anyone know? i have that sportsman book that only goes up to 2003. my grandfatehr use to watch them dump em into the lake. havent heard anything recently. if anyone knows, let me know

Lake Durant 1420 Tiger muskellunge 9.5inches
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2012, 10:42 AM »
what website did you guys find that info?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2012, 11:21 AM »
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2012, 11:22 AM »
got it...thanks adkroy

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #27 on: Feb 28, 2012, 03:43 PM »

Thanks to everyone who shares my feelings on these pig fishermen. I too would confront them if I saw them trashing the ice. Now for a trip into Lincoln would suit me, I've never fished there but I been fishing a lot of new lakes this season since LG was a bust. I love to add Lincoln to my list.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.