Author Topic: Vexilar Vs. Lowrance  (Read 12952 times)

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: VEXILAR FL-22HD
« Reply #60 on: Dec 11, 2010, 06:25 AM »
Really? You can get a Marcum LX3 for $349 and a brand new Eskimo Stingray power auger for $259.99 all delivered for exactly $600. I'd say for the average fisherman that's a much better deal and most would agree. If I asked the average fisherman to choose the FL-22 on one hand or a Macum LX3 plus a new power auger in the other I bet you 95% would choose the combo. I've never been burned in that aspect and all I'm saying is that I (in my case) try to get the most for my money. I have no doubts that the FL-22 is a very fine unit and if money is no object then by all means, make yourself happy.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/product_detail/fishing/ice-fishing/augers/eskimo-stingray-33cc-power-ice-auger-8-inch?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct%20search
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:33 AM »
Really? You can get a Marcum LX3 for $349 and a brand new Eskimo Stingray power auger for $259.99 all delivered for exactly $600. I'd say for the average fisherman that's a much better deal and most would agree. If I asked the average fisherman to choose the FL-22 on one hand or a Macum LX3 plus a new power auger in the other I bet you 95% would choose the combo. I've never been burned in that aspect and all I'm saying is that I (in my case) try to get the most for my money. I have no doubts that the FL-22 is a very fine unit and if money is no object then by all means, make yourself happy.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/product_detail/fishing/ice-fishing/augers/eskimo-stingray-33cc-power-ice-auger-8-inch?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping%2Bsearch&utm_campaign=google%2Bproduct%20search

You guys in the States get all the good deals!! $600 just pays for the auger up here. Marcum LX-5's sell for over $550 and the Vexilar FL-22 isnt even available for sale up here yet. To top it off most stores offer you guys free shipping. My last order from Sportsman Warehouse I was raped with a $96 shipping/tax/fee/duties and my order only cost 171.00

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Dec 11, 2010, 09:22 AM »
 :o Yea, that is some crazy shipping and a lot of stuff must be cheaper here. Perhaps that is where we may disgaree on many price points. I actually buy much of my fishing gear from The Sportsmans Guide which is similar to Sportsman's Warehouse. I joined their buyers club and have ordered from them at least a dozen times in the last few months. Got my Strikemaster from them as well. They were $40 cheaper then any other price anywhere.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Dec 11, 2010, 01:31 PM »
You guys in the States get all the good deals!! $600 just pays for the auger up here. Marcum LX-5's sell for over $550 and the Vexilar FL-22 isnt even available for sale up here yet. To top it off most stores offer you guys free shipping. My last order from Sportsman Warehouse I was raped with a $96 shipping/tax/fee/duties and my order only cost 171.00.

You Canadians get royally screwed on a lot of what you buy up there, plain and simple. I spend two weeks a year in CA so I see it for myself.

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #64 on: Dec 11, 2010, 05:42 PM »

Check your math.  Look, a guy can get a good deal via sales, rebates ect, but in a very short time the package you just listed will cost you $750.00 not including $50+ in shipping and right now it's gonna cost you $655 and throw in another $50 or so for shipping your over $700. Quite aways from $500 or even $600. None of this gear is cheap in price, even the low end stuff like a VX1 + Skimo Stingray will cost a guy $650 shortly, if a guy wants to look smart, don't dilly and get to buying before those sales end in a week. Note- Prices are from Cabelas, used as a baseline.

Sooooo, it looks like the man with "real brains" is gonna stick with his snoopy rod and a bucket  ;D

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Dec 11, 2010, 07:32 PM »
Check your math.  Look, a guy can get a good deal via sales, rebates ect, but in a very short time the package you just listed will cost you $750.00 not including $50+ in shipping and right now it's gonna cost you $655 and throw in another $50 or so for shipping your over $700. Quite aways from $500 or even $600. None of this gear is cheap in price, even the low end stuff like a VX1 + Skimo Stingray will cost a guy $650 shortly
What are you talking about "in a short time" or "shortly"? Apparently you don't know how to use the internet to shop for the best prices. You can get those prices most of the time if you shop around. I paid $349.00 for my LX3 with no special rebate (like now) with free shipping. Nobody buys direct from the factory (most expensive) on ANTHING except you apparently.  Many sites have free shipping on ordesr over $199.00. I just got my Strikemaster Electra Lazer from the Sportsman Guide for $40.00 less (shipped) then any other site on the net by shopping around. If you want to waste your money, go ahead but your point above is moot.  Apparently any man with a snoopy pole and bucket is beneath you but he'll catch fish just like you. Dropping your wad doesn't make you Fishing Jesus.  :icefish: :bow: ;)2

Offline strik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Dec 11, 2010, 07:45 PM »
WOW
New here correct me if I'm wrong is this what happens when their is NO ICE??? ??? ???  ;) ;)

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Dec 11, 2010, 07:49 PM »
WOW
New here correct me if I'm wrong is this what happens when their is NO ICE??? ??? ???  ;) ;)

Yup, pretty much. ;D
Especially when ya get two guys who both think they have the biggest 'sonars' and won't give it up.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #68 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:00 PM »
I haven't been on the ice yet this year and it keeps the boredom down for me. It is cold and very windy here at this time, so I guess I'll settle for a few more ice cubes in my drink for a day or two. Mon, Tues and Wed were beautiful here this week and I was at home with a very sick grandson and scratching at the walls.  :whistle:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline korn_2956

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Dec 11, 2010, 08:33 PM »
I got more money in electronics on my boat than I paid for the boat. I put the best I can on the boat, HDS 5 and soon a HDS 8 or 10 with structure scan, that alone will run me $2-$3K. Then again I run $750 rods and reel combos, and carry $3-$5K in baits onboard.

you are a real badass

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Dec 11, 2010, 09:21 PM »
What are you talking about "in a short time" or "shortly"? Apparently you don't know how to use the internet to shop for the best prices. You can get those prices most of the time if you shop around. I paid $349.00 for my LX3 with no special rebate (like now) with free shipping. Nobody buys direct from the factory (most expensive) on ANTHING except you apparently.  Many sites have free shipping on ordesr over $199.00. I just got my Strikemaster Electra Lazer from the Sportsman Guide for $40.00 less (shipped) then any other site on the net by shopping around. If you want to waste your money, go ahead but your point above is moot.  Apparently any man with a snoopy pole and bucket is beneath you but he'll catch fish just like you. Dropping your wad doesn't make you Fishing Jesus.  :icefish: :bow: ;)2

I found a Marcum LX3 for less than what you paid, but wasn't interested even at $329  ;D . J/K I considered it, just not what I was looking for.

So you think $349 will last forever? It's a tight economy now and Marcum is trying to move their stuff, simple as that, It won't last for ever.............Glad you saved on your unit too and I hope everyone can save. Your math is still off a bit.

And to the bucket fisherman, look at the smiley putz! I've been one for almost 40 years, still am, this season I'll be looking down at a flasher from atop me bucket  ;D

All this gear is spendy, even the entry level stuff is very expensive, and your an icehole, plain and simple, to insult folks for their decision on how and what to spend their hard earned cash on.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Dec 11, 2010, 11:48 PM »
you are a real badass

Thanks, means alot to me to have you say that.....

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:51 AM »
All this gear is spendy, even the entry level stuff is very expensive, and your an icehole, plain and simple, to insult folks for their decision on how and what to spend their hard earned cash on.
::) Hello pot, this is kettle ......... Sorry if I was able to provide you an example of what you believed I could not. Apparently you didn't ready anything else in this thread either.

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:58 AM »
Should have known that this is where the thread was going to end up....  :-\

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:08 AM »
You guys in the States get all the good deals!! $600 just pays for the auger up here. Marcum LX-5's sell for over $550 and the Vexilar FL-22 isnt even available for sale up here yet. To top it off most stores offer you guys free shipping. My last order from Sportsman Warehouse I was raped with a $96 shipping/tax/fee/duties and my order only cost 171.00
darkwater777 your info here is wrong.
The FL-22 is available in Canada & at a price quite similar to the US. Shipping is $10 within Canada.
http://radioworld.ca/index.php?cPath=3_628&filter_id=175
With the 60' limitation I can not see it being real popular here as many of us fish much deeper on a regular basis.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:43 AM »
darkwater777 your info here is wrong.
The FL-22 is available in Canada & at a price quite similar to the US. Shipping is $10 within Canada.
http://radioworld.ca/index.php?cPath=3_628&filter_id=175
With the 60' limitation I can not see it being real popular here as many of us fish much deeper on a regular basis.

Geez, I would have ordered one from them had I known. Never thought to search Radio World for fishing releated gear.
Around my area here in Sask, its Walleye, Pike and perch country. 99.9% is done in water under 40ft.

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:48 AM »
Lets all go find some ice and "chill;D

Heading out this a.m with the vex for some jumbo perch and fat walleye. Have a good one boyz!!!!!

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Dec 12, 2010, 02:15 PM »
::) Hello pot, this is kettle ......... Sorry if I was able to provide you an example of what you believed I could not. Apparently you didn't ready anything else in this thread either.

Hey Kettle!  Not quite there, your getting good at chest thumpin though ;D

Offline jhookj

• IceShanty Rookie
Vexilar Vs. Lowrance
« Reply #78 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:33 PM »
I plan on buying my first flasher this year and I planned on buying a vexilar until someone let me use their Lowrance Ice Machine X67 out on the ice yesterday.  What is/are the dissadvantages of the ice machine that people would spend an extra $200 bucks for a vexilar, which in my oppinion is harder to read and the ice machine has a flasher mode that looks just like the vexilar.  Can you guys offer any input?

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
Re: Vexilar Vs. Lowrance
« Reply #79 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:40 PM »
The only reason I would consider one is because you could use in on a boat during the summer.

I'm a vex guy myself...
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline bjeff42

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish forced to work!!
« Reply #80 on: Dec 12, 2010, 05:58 PM »
I love my Lowrance X67c easier to read like you said, but if u get used to the vex it works good to. Like C P said The Lowrance is a great all year tool for fishing. I bought a trolling motor transducer and use it on the boat in the summer. 

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #81 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:05 PM »
I;ve had a vex for 4 years now and I love it. Easy to use, easy to learn to use. It has definitely increased my fish catch 10 fold.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline jhookj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:12 PM »
Are there any specific advantages to the vex?  So far, I'm pretty convinced that the ice machine is the way to go since I will be able to use it on my boat and it has more functions than the vex.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:14 PM »
Get a 'Bird!!  ;D  ;D

Offline crosscobra

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Give em the beans
« Reply #84 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:26 PM »
I have an FL 20 that  i am selling to switch to the x67c because of the all year useage. Also you have more features with the x67c. You have flasher and graph modes as well as un limited zoom and 10sec history to see how the fish are hitting your bait. Whatever you choose to buy it will increase your numbers on the ice
"Huddle round the shanty momma, Put a good buzz on!"

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #85 on: Dec 12, 2010, 06:35 PM »
I plan on buying my first flasher this year and I planned on buying a vexilar until someone let me use their Lowrance Ice Machine X67 out on the ice yesterday.  What is/are the dissadvantages of the ice machine that people would spend an extra $200 bucks for a vexilar, which in my oppinion is harder to read and the ice machine has a flasher mode that looks just like the vexilar.  Can you guys offer any input?

This thread is just going to turn into a big fight and will have way more opinions than facts so here is the section of this web site that has all the facts, and some B.S.  ;D
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=74.0
I have the Lowrance x67c and I love it but it's best for you to make up your own mind because I here they are both great units so it sounds like you can't go wrong  8)

Offline reel-m-n

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:08 PM »
all I know is i LOVE my vex, will not go without it.

Offline icemantwo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:19 PM »
I got a Marcum but I would go with a traditional flasher and not the digital screen Lowrance.  I think the real flasher would be a lot easier to read and would be more accurate since it only has one use instead of the two different modes on the Lowrance so I think the Lowrance wouldn't be as good in the flasher mode.  It is your preference though.  I guess I'm just used to a traditional flasher.  The lowrances are getting more popular and some people say they like them.  They also are good because you can use them on a boat in the summer.
A day without fishing is a day wasted.

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #88 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:29 PM »
i have the x67c and find it has some interference when other electronics are around,ive seen the marcum have the same prob but never used the vex, x67c will save you couple hundred and still do what you need it to do
i like the garph mode better on my x67c because it seems as though i can see the speed of the fish rising and dropping but like they say it is preference
if you used the lowrance and liked it then there ya have it

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Dec 12, 2010, 07:33 PM »
here's my afternoon with the Fl-22 HD. The more I use this unit the more impressed I am.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.