New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Saratoga Lake BS 2016  (Read 22177 times)

Offline pixleyken

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Saratoga Lake BS 2016
« Reply #150 on: Feb 12, 2016, 01:58 PM »
I've done most of my fishing at Schroon this year, but with this "lovely" weather coming in, I might stay south for the weekend, hows the ice near Browns?

Offline havejigwilltravel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #151 on: Feb 12, 2016, 02:34 PM »
thank you for the headsup on the saratoga lake cam lakesteve.

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #152 on: Feb 12, 2016, 05:51 PM »
Fished on the south end today. 5 inches of good ice and making more. Wind was pretty brutal today. I can only imagine what it will be like this weekend. Fishing was poor for me only managed a couple keeper gills. Strange part is I was fishing in 6-8 fow and I had more walleye show up on my aquavu camera than I did gills. The Walters would come right up to my lure and literally headbutt it but never attack. I tried everything in the tackle box but they would not eat! Anyone else have this "problem" fishing togas clear water shallows during the daylight hours?

Fishmon

« Reply #153 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:14 PM »
Fished on the south end today. 5 inches of good ice and making more. Wind was pretty brutal today. I can only imagine what it will be like this weekend. Fishing was poor for me only managed a couple keeper gills. Strange part is I was fishing in 6-8 fow and I had more walleye show up on my aquavu camera than I did gills. The Walters would come right up to my lure and literally headbutt it but never attack. I tried everything in the tackle box but they would not eat! Anyone else have this "problem" fishing togas clear water shallows during the daylight hours?

Yup!  I was out farther in a Shappell flip over. I got some nice perch and got some weird "headbutts".  Would see big red blob on vexilar and Nada.  At least you got to see them on camera.

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #154 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:15 PM »
Hey thanks rayban for the heads up on baits shops . & places to get out ...I am not sure where we are staying yet ...just want to get out there...  Thanks Dewey
images.jpeg

Offline lakesteve

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #155 on: Feb 13, 2016, 01:05 PM »
I counted at least 30 people out there as of about 10am braving the cold. As of 2pm everyone is gone. Wind picked up and nobody could stand it anymore.

Offline Iamthenextone34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #156 on: Feb 14, 2016, 02:05 AM »
There was a benefit fishing tournament from 7 to 2 out in front of Brown's today seemed to be a pretty good turn out

Offline trapper1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #157 on: Feb 14, 2016, 05:26 AM »
Is it crazy to try Toga today? I am thinking to brave the cold off of the boat launch! I'll be in a Red Eskimo

Offline beachwoods 16

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #158 on: Feb 14, 2016, 07:17 AM »
Had the eyes do the same thing one time this year. See them on the vex, no bump even. Went through some lures then tied on a small perch diamond jig with a fathead, and nailed two eyes a little over twenty. May have been dumb luck, or might be worth a try.

Offline slabcommander

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #159 on: Feb 14, 2016, 02:31 PM »
Welcome to walleye fishing mid season lol!

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #160 on: Feb 14, 2016, 03:12 PM »
Just a question why cant people put there wheelers or sleds off a state launch.Sounds like horse hockey to me  we should do what we can to turn that around!

Offline fl18guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #161 on: Feb 14, 2016, 04:29 PM »
its is listed as a state park and no motorized vehicles allowed in the state park. You have too use lee's trailer park or the south end marina

Offline rpdfishes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #162 on: Feb 14, 2016, 05:38 PM »
Grafton is a state park!!!! Wheelers & sleds are allowed!!!!! Where does ENCON put there machines on Saratoga ??????????????

Offline backwoodsboy-

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #163 on: Feb 14, 2016, 06:11 PM »
Had the eyes do the same thing one time this year. See them on the vex, no bump even. Went through some lures then tied on a small perch diamond jig with a fathead, and nailed two eyes a little over twenty. May have been dumb luck, or might be worth a try.
good call on the fat heads usually seals the deal gor me too

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #164 on: Feb 14, 2016, 09:44 PM »
Grafton is a state park!!!! Wheelers & sleds are allowed!!!!! Where does ENCON put there machines on Saratoga ??????????????

No sleds or quads allowed on any of the ponds in grafton. Sleds are ok on designated trails but atv's are strictly forbidden. I personally don't agree with it but that's the rules. As for Saratoga where all machines are allowed on the ice I don't see why one couldn't go from the state launch parking area, down the ramp, and onto the hard water? Then again it is New York State and nothing surprises me anymore.

Offline slipbob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends use tipups!
« Reply #165 on: Feb 15, 2016, 10:05 AM »

The couple times I've seen ENCON on the ice with machines at Toga they parked at Southshore marina and went from there and I saw their vehicle and trailer when I came back in.

Offline touge30

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #166 on: Feb 15, 2016, 12:56 PM »
hearthstone is a state park when the ice is safe they plow it for ya.Different rules how come.

JJ

« Reply #167 on: Feb 15, 2016, 01:15 PM »
Hearthstone is a DEC campground, run by a different state agency than NYS Parks, Rec. & Hist. Pres.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #168 on: Feb 15, 2016, 04:27 PM »
A surprising number of guys out on the south end around noon today.  Must figure tomorrow's gonna be no good weatherwise.

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #169 on: Feb 15, 2016, 08:49 PM »
A surprising number of guys out on the south end around noon today.  Must figure tomorrow's gonna be no good weatherwise.
I was one of them. Not much action 1 perch 13 inches buddy lost one decent walleye in the hole. Probably would have done better with an early start but we waited till about ten when temp got above 0.   7 inches of ice 14 -16 FOW

Fishmon

« Reply #170 on: Feb 16, 2016, 07:54 AM »
I was one of them. Not much action 1 perch 13 inches buddy lost one decent walleye in the hole. Probably would have done better with an early start but we waited till about ten when temp got above 0.   7 inches of ice 14 -16 FOW

Agree. I was loser that was too lazy to take transducer out of hole when trying to land Walter.  I thought ice would be thicker given the cold weather we had over weekend, but the 7 inches or so is solid.  As usual, you have to move around out there to find the bigger fish.

Offline jigshimmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Feb 16, 2016, 08:29 AM »
Fishing is a sport where we  learn something new every time out. Hopefully you wont make that mistake again.  That's why my transducer cable is now tied to the unit so no play and when I pick up unit transducer is free from the hole  I don't have to try to grab the cable

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #172 on: Feb 16, 2016, 09:27 AM »
I will be coming up to saratoga this weekend for the beer festival & ice fishing ...Hopefully the ice will still
be good with all this rain we are getting today... :)
images.jpeg

Offline basshunter12748

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #173 on: Feb 16, 2016, 11:06 AM »
I'll be out there tomorrow as well.  I think the ice should be held up fine so far today there has not been much rain.

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #174 on: Feb 16, 2016, 01:32 PM »
I live 1/3 mile from the lake and its 50 degrees and raining hard here at 2:30pm.

Offline madflasher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #175 on: Feb 16, 2016, 01:57 PM »
I had always been told that as long as your sled is registered and insured you could access Toga from the state launch.  However no wheelers are allowed since you can't legally operate a wheeler on any state land it good ole NYS.

Offline pikeman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #176 on: Feb 16, 2016, 05:14 PM »
Anybody been by fish creek today? Just wondering how bad it's looking w the rain..any info appreciated

Offline xxxbeer247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #177 on: Feb 17, 2016, 06:09 AM »
How did everything hold up with the rain and 50 degree weather?

Offline deweyicefish

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #178 on: Feb 17, 2016, 07:23 AM »
Hopefully the ice will still be good for this weekend ...I got a room at the Nest motel at browns beach for 3 nights  ...They said I can get on the ice from there ...Looking forward to this coming weekend... The beer festival is on sat. :) still gives me time to hit the ice...stay on top guys see you this weekend...  :icefish:
images.jpeg

Offline buz23

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #179 on: Feb 17, 2016, 01:03 PM »
How did everything hold up with the rain and 50 degree weather?

Down by Brown's it isn't bad.  There is a 2-3" puddle on the way out, but once past that the ice is either bare or has < 1"water/thin ice on top.  Thickness is fine everywhere I checked, >6" I'd say.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.