New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake Durant  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Spinmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Durant
« on: Jan 06, 2023, 12:38 AM »
Just wondering has anyone been to Durant this week? Wondering how the ice held up, how has the bite been? And does anyone have tips for someone (me) who has never been there

Offline Castaway

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake Durant
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2023, 05:20 AM »
I unfortunately don't have an ice report as I have not been out on it recently. As far as tips go, it a very shallow, weedy lake where action can be hit or miss. I have set up all over with no place seeming to be any better than another. Try and find a hole that doesn't have weeds all the way to the surface (not always easy to do). Maybe someone else can give you some better info. Good luck

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2023, 05:52 AM »
I haven't fished it in years, but in the 90's we fished it regularly. There used to be a deeper channel that ran down the center, 7-9'.  We would set up around that. Also we learned that they weren't like pike, that took the bait and ran. The tigers would take the large gold shiners that we used and just sat there, sometimes for 10 minutes, then slowly swam away. Our hooksets greatly improved after we figured this trick out. If anybody has eaten in Pitkins Restaurant in Schroon Lake, you probably saw the 15lb Tiger mounted the owner Randy Rice caught.  I fished with Randy there alot.
Tony

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #3 on: Jan 08, 2023, 08:49 AM »
The tigers are the main attraction that gets guys on the ice at Durant. That, and the fact that it is always the earliest thing to freeze in the area that is not a small pond that has to be hiked to. I was on there on November 22, 2020 as the only time I was ever able to ice fish in November. I did not catch any tigers, but did manage a couple of small LMB that were kept due to still being in season until 11/30, and a handful of skinny perch on the tipups that I had set with small bait.

The perch look like they can't find enough to eat.  :'(
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 08, 2023, 06:50 PM »
8-9 inches of ice. Use dead bait, 1/2 way to the bottom.

Offline Spinmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 08, 2023, 08:05 PM »
Thanks everyone for the tips. Went out this morning it was a cold one. Fished right off the campground found 6-8 feet of water with no weeds hardly, got my first tiger musky

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.