The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Search for Ice fisherman at Ontelaunee  (Read 5515 times)

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
Re: Search for Ice fisherman at Ontelaunee
« Reply #30 on: Feb 15, 2008, 05:20 PM »
I've spoke to several guys that say they've "fell through" more than once and they make light of it, I wonder how many guys have gone through the ice while alone, and at night.

I've gone thru more times than I can count and its the price of being the 1st on at the beginning of the year and last off at the end...luckily I've never gone thru at night and I've always been able to get myself out with picks when I have

Thanks for backing me up ski hunter. In a conversation w/ one of my liberal friends about the tragedy, he had the audacity to say something as ignorant as "well nobody should have been allowed to icefish around here(berks county) at all this year". He doesn't even icefish.

I know when my manager asks me if I've been out fishing he flips out when I told him I was ice fishing since it was 50 degrees out, only 6" of ice, ect ect....people who don't ice fish and don't know anything about walking on water are, unfortunately, more often then not the ones who end up having a say on new laws being passed to protect us from ourselves as they put it.

Has anyone ever thought of it this way, maybe the guy died doing what he loved. How many people can honestly say that? I know if I die icefishing atleast everyone who knows me will have known I died doing what I loved and wouldn't have wanted to go any other way
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2008, 05:29 PM »
 As for ownership of this lake I am sure it is owned by the city of READING. It is one of their many water sources. As for the condition of the ICE well I have to say that it had to be 1st ICE again because that part of the lake had completely melted with the recent warm weather. I was just there the day before fishing the open water & it was all open water as far as I could see. The only part of the lake that was froze. Was out front along rt 73. I would have to guess the ice thick ness was no more than an inch thick at petes where he went in. If you watched the video the rescue guys were breaking the ice as they paddled the boat.So It could not have been very thick. again my heart goes out to his family. we all have lost another great friend & fellow ice angler :tipup:

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 15, 2008, 07:18 PM »

I've gone thru more times than I can count and its the price of being the 1st on at the beginning of the year and last off at the end...luckily I've never gone thru at night and I've always been able to get myself out with picks when I have

You know... there's a good chance that dude at Ontelaunee had been telling the same tale. >:(

This has to be the most disgusting thread hijacking of all time.

I can't believe that a man has lost his life, and the first thing that actually comes to somebody's mind is that a lawsuit may follow and ruin their fishing????? It's amazing how some people always find a way to make everything about themselves.

This thread is tragic and sad... for a variety of reasons.

Offline the_mad_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 16, 2008, 02:14 AM »
Has anyone ever thought of it this way, maybe the guy died doing what he loved. How many people can honestly say that? I know if I die icefishing atleast everyone who knows me will have known I died doing what I loved and wouldn't have wanted to go any other way
My thought and prayers go out to his family and it's a shame that it happened, but like people say when your times up your times up.  Like you said he was doing something he loved, didn't die working, or driving somewhere, but where HE wanted to be.

HenryDavid

« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2008, 03:13 AM »
I've honestly told most of my friends, I'd like to go, when I go, to the bottom of a lake I love,  :)

Offline ValleyStocker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Trout through the ice... now that's nice !!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 17, 2008, 07:47 PM »
I am with you on that one, I don't want to slowly rot away, not able to get to my fishing spots, or having to just be able to watch fishing shows from the old soldiers home .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.