The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: High Point Lake  (Read 2366 times)

Offline Trout-n-Eye

• IceShanty Rookie
High Point Lake
« on: Jan 17, 2008, 10:42 AM »
Was up to High Point at 10:30 am.  90% frozen over.  Open strip of water down through the middle pretty much from north access all th way to breast.  The closer you get to the breast the open water is closer to the south shore  (left side facing the breast).  Was in the low 20's at 10:30am and snowing pretty good.  Didn't check Ice thickness.  Supposed to be in the single digits here 2 nights this weekend with a high of 11 on Sunday.  If you go out Saturday you may want to be careful, Ice may be thinner towards the middle.  Ecspecially if it gets snow covered as soon as it freezes.  Snowing pretty good here now.  If temps hold good this weekend we should be good to go for quite a while.  I have work this weekend but already planning to be on the ice all next weekend.  Will do a drive by Sat. morning on the way to work and see what's going on.

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: High Point Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2008, 07:45 AM »
Trout-n-Eyes, not digging anyone for anything they may or may not post but, I went through the archives for several lakes I fish. I used the data and weather data for a spreadsheet and graph to get an idea as to when, on average these lakes get their first reports posted - so I have an idea as to when good ice is usually starting on them, how long the ice last, how long after a warm-up do these lakes get good ice back and most of all, how hard these lakes get hit and when. This way I can avoid crowds and lakes that get hit very hard. The one thing that jumps right out is that on these lakes, usually around the second week of Feb. the postings trail off. Leads me to think a couple of things....
1.) The ice has gotten bad enough that people are not getting out on them,
2.) They are doing pretty good on these lakes and they don't want to broadcast it or,
3.) They are too busy fishing  :)
I'm just glad for the info that people do post  :) All I care about is what the ice is like.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline whitetailmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shut up-n- fish
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2008, 08:34 AM »
i agree. i dont care about someones "secret spot" because i have my own and wont tell anyone where they are either. and why should you, you put the time in to find them and you have success when you go there. start telling people about it and the next time you go theres 50 people there. trust me, ive made the mistake and done it. on this site actually. all I care about is the ice thickness and weather i can get on it.
team I.C.Light

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2008, 10:04 AM »
number 3 when i fish hard dont get home till 7-8 pm fillet fish 8-9 see family eat  post 10pm its a tough question the secret spot thing is there really a secret spot if you fish dawn to dusk and you always see a shanty in a spot no matter what your told about the fishin its a secret spot.  mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2008, 10:29 AM »
Just get me on the ice, I'll find fish. Although I can understand wanting to be able to at least be pointed in the right direction. Some lakes are easy to figure out, others not so easy. Who knows, my secret spot may be your secret spot  :)
Guess it comes down to several scenerios:
1.) An area to fish gets posted - no clue as to what they were using
2.) Your told what they were biting on - just not where
3.) Your told everything there is to know - this spot will be burned in no time
3.) Or a very quiet post - the lake is producing well and everyone is tight lipped.

I hear ya 1MO, can make for a loooong day. Don't cha' just luv those "secret" spots? lol
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2008, 11:50 AM »
i think the best answer is did you see anyone fishin today?checkin the ice is one thing fishin' it another.someone is fishin highpoint today need to get out and fish. i like the way you think scavengerj get me on the ice i'll find fish. my iceshanty buddies got me jiggin' my next hole could be the future secret spot lol   mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2008, 12:12 PM »
You'd be surprised what you can learn from the archives, past weather reports, a few maps, a good notebook, a GPS and a few spreadhseets. And of course, a tip every now and then  ;)2 Trout-n-Eye, a PM doesn't hurt either. Some may be more willing to share with the few then with the many.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2008, 12:41 PM »
No Trout I don't think you are wasting your time.  I have never even fished the lake before. I'd like to some day. I think I even drove to it one day during the summer a bit ago. There are alot I haven't fished but, I do enjoy seeing what others have to say, what the conditions are like and fish they are catching. I guess some just post more then others. I found it interesting, as I stated in my first response, that based on the archived data, things seem to get quiet on the board for some lakes. I can only imagine it is because of bad ice, they are hot and noone wants to talk or they are just too tired from being out fishing all day to post. Please don't take anything I said as being against anything someone may or may not post or against you in anyway. Just stating what jumped out at me after looking at the data. I apologize in advance if I came off wrong with my responses. I was just shedding light on the way some are when not posting and know that they have their reasons for posting or not posting as I am sure you know also  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Pajns

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • YA JUST GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2008, 01:03 PM »
Not a waste of time. I for one appericate everyone that does post ice thickness. Saves me a trip. I haven't fished High point in years but do  read the posts. I live close to a small lake and when I can I post ice thickness. And everytime I'm out on a lake I post ice conditions. As far how to catch em on that lake...thats another subject. I have the small crappie down but can't get the biggins..LOL  I spend my time on the lake looking for fish but I also remember where I've seen people set up and fishin. If I'm not doin good at my spot I'll move to one I've seen people fish. Am I stealing their spot....NAW...cause people see me fishin my spot and fish that also. I will share info with anyone when fishin. Lotta times when tellin someone about a spot they tell me where they have had luck on the lake. Like the ole sayin...Takes TWO hands to wash a face. Gives me some satisfaction when I tell someone what their hittin and how deep and see them do good. Because people have helped me many times with info that has helped me catch em. 
NEVER lied about the size of the fish I caught.....just remember them being BIGGER!!

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why, I dream of things that never were and ask why not"---RFK

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2008, 01:55 PM »
i always appreciate it when people report ice conditions. I do when i can for north park lake. I dont mind telling people what fish are hitting on and even the general location for them to go too. The problem is the little ive fished this year i havnt been able to find out myself what the bass are hitting on and where they are at. By this time last year i pulled about 50 bass out of the ice. This year im only at 5 right now. Once the ice comes back and if i can figure them out ill be sure to let you guys know

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2008, 02:03 AM »
thankx for checkin things out by helpin someone out you may be helping yourself pay it forward genuine thankx goes a long way ---jay the bass turned on in the back of muddy creek shallow and weeds i'll bet the same in shannon good luck you'll find em   mo

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.