Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: 3 mile/12 mile ice  (Read 2923 times)

Offline whfishman

• IceShanty Rookie
3 mile/12 mile ice
« on: Jan 14, 2012, 10:25 AM »
Anyone know if there is fishable ice at either of these or if they are even capped over yet?
Wayne

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
Re: 3 mile/12 mile ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:24 PM »
Im from20 miles from them barely safe ice on farm ponds some ponds have 4" some 2" wind messed it up lakes might have a skim on bays only  fishing ponds today and tommorow . Call dennis at the pier he give you best report hes bait shop owner phone #641-782 5519 Hoping for safe ice there by next weekend !!!!!!!You get down this way PM me I will show you some smaller lakes in my area MtAyr ringold county!!!!    They have been better than 3 or 12 mile for me anyways !!!! ;D
Never to many short poles

Offline orangefeetdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2012, 09:06 AM »
bump

Offline warpig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:02 AM »
Hey Jumbo Chaser, I spent all my summers as a kid down in your neck of the woods. Lots of HUGE ponds down there with good fish. Found one with perch, not real big ones though.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2012, 10:38 PM »
War pig so you no the kinda fishing im talking about i have been fishing around here and no almost every pond and what in it some guys doubt my perch down here but last year I caught a few over 15" dont no how to post pics . been out a few times and done very well but ice is scary 2.5-4" but sounds like thursday and friday maybe 4-5" would be good for a change to be safe instead of wearing life jacket on ice!!!!!!Pm me if you get down this way!!!!!

Offline warpig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2012, 08:44 AM »
jumbo, Grandpa had a farm by Blockton. Some nice fishing in some of those ponds. Not sure how to send a PM, kinda new to all this.
I think that by the next weekend, might try heading down that way.

Offline gocyclones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2012, 01:36 PM »
Hey jumbo where finding good ice to fish?   From MA also  checked old lake the other day and you couldn't get me out on that.  LMK ready to get out there

Offline orangefeetdown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2012, 01:49 PM »
would 3 mile be fishable by friday?

Offline snokyguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2012, 04:22 PM »
I'd highly highly doubt it as lakes around DSM are iffy.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2012, 11:05 PM »
ya old lake is about 3+" of ice 3 and 12 will be lucky to be safe this year  :'( :'(    but getting back to old lake I saw a pic of a crappie that a lady caught this fall that was over 4lbs believe it or not but the lady isnt a bull crapper she didnt think it was a bigdeal she took a pic and measured it then ate it  :'( :'( :'( I told her it was almost a record fish she about crapped!!!!

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2012, 11:07 PM »
sorry I about forgot send me a email @ [email protected] and we could hook up!!!

Offline gocyclones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2012, 01:21 PM »
just checked a pond close to town this am and it was 3.5 inches.  not enough for me especially when I am alone.  going to check again tomorrow I need no less than 4 and would prefer 6 inches of ice.

Offline icerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If your bobbers gone put on another one
« Reply #12 on: Jan 20, 2012, 10:20 AM »
I plan on Heading to 12 mile on sunday, anyone interested?  We could meet in Creston.  I don't know the ice thickness but with cold I willing to bet is will have fishable ice. Let me know.

Offline icerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2012, 10:50 AM »
Man am I a nimrod.  ;D Sorry for the bad grammar, I was in a hurry.  I Meant to say, I'm willing to bet, there will be fishable ice on 12 mile because of this cold spell.  :) :)

Offline whfishman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2012, 12:43 PM »
Saw a report of someone fishing 12 mile last night on 3.5".  Would think there will be 5-6 by Saturday.  I'm headed down there also at some point this weekend, just not sure when yet.  About fricken time! 
Wayne

Offline icerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2012, 01:00 PM »
sounds good whfishman, I am planning on leaving Melcher around6:00 am which will get me to creston about 7:00 ish let me know. ;D

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:59 PM »
Any new reports

Offline ripNlips83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:17 PM »
some buddys went today said 7 inches and a slow bite, they found spots that were 3-4 inches. Be careful after this warm day

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2012, 06:20 PM »
Thabks isnt looking good long term either

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:24 PM »
Ya it isnt looking good might have shortest ice season in iowa history 7 days crazy but last year was sweet . I heard it was something to do with solar storm on sun good thing it didnt happen in summer it would have been 120 here but I would have taking that and had normal ice LOL maybe february be normal and fish all month not ready for a 7 day season . At least I was on ice for 6 long days ;D ;D ;D ;D!!!!

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:51 PM »
Uh, it was 120+ this summer. In August the week before the fair it was 126 degrees.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2012, 09:11 PM »
Didnt no that I was working in colorado all summer 7 days a week so I have most of winters off but weather this year I have been working here all winter but last week I fished like it was our only week to fish and it might be  :'( :'( hope not hope we have a cold february!!!!!!!

Offline squ1rr31_

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Addicted to freezing.
« Reply #22 on: Jan 26, 2012, 05:21 PM »
With the warm up coming I'm starting to get worried.  :o

Offline UncleBlazer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2012, 10:57 AM »
Alright Gentlemen,
  The fellas and I are taking our annual drinking hardwater trip down to the Creston area on Feb 10/11/12.  This gives us a few options:  Green Valley/Summit, McKinley, 3mi and 12 mi. 
Ice permitting, which lake has been producing this year (given the short amount of time we have had to ice fish this year)?  This is only a weekend trip so we will have all day Saturday and some of Sunday.....limitted time, but we are definitely open to changing locations if needed.  Is the ice varying much between the lakes, given their relative proximity?
With the weather outlook, will the ice hold up over the next few weeks or would changing our overall location to someplace further north be a better bet?  We had originally talked about Big Creek (next to Saylorville Rez), but i don't know that only going that far north would make much of an ice difference. 
Any info would be appreciated.

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2012, 01:06 PM »
The IGL's   ???  ;D

Offline ku-nu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2012, 02:42 PM »
Alright Gentlemen,
  The fellas and I are taking our annual drinking hardwater trip down to the Creston area on Feb 10/11/12.  This gives us a few options:  Green Valley/Summit, McKinley, 3mi and 12 mi. 
Ice permitting, which lake has been producing this year (given the short amount of time we have had to ice fish this year)?  This is only a weekend trip so we will have all day Saturday and some of Sunday.....limitted time, but we are definitely open to changing locations if needed.  Is the ice varying much between the lakes, given their relative proximity?
With the weather outlook, will the ice hold up over the next few weeks or would changing our overall location to someplace further north be a better bet?  We had originally talked about Big Creek (next to Saylorville Rez), but i don't know that only going that far north would make much of an ice difference. 
Any info would be appreciated.
   Green valley is still being worked on, Summit is drained completely. Mckinley, 3-mile and 12- mile  are still fishable for now. But we have more warm weather coming next week.

Offline UncleBlazer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2012, 04:19 PM »
so what you are saying is bring the long poles and short pants.

any fish being pulled out of the fishable lakes?

Offline icerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2012, 05:44 PM »
 This Sunday I plan on going to 12 mile again, I am leaving Melcher around 6:00 am.   will be there around 7:30  I want to land at the accesses by the dam. Hope to meet anyone interested ;D ;D.

Offline whfishman

• IceShanty Rookie
Any 3 mile ice?
« Reply #28 on: Feb 04, 2012, 09:49 PM »
I know there isn't fishable ice down there but just wondering if anyone knows if there is any ice left.  Hoping to get back on the ice next weekend with the colder temps forcasted, wishfull thinking or have a realistic chance?
Wayne

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.