Author Topic: Box Butte Tourney  (Read 5282 times)

Offline hammerhandle41

• Team IceShanty Regular
Box Butte Tourney
« on: Feb 02, 2012, 04:20 AM »
Anyone as ready for the Box Butte Tourney this Saturday as I am!!!!
If you never try you will never know!

Offline Hardwaterlee

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Box Butte Tourney
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2012, 08:13 AM »
YES I am, Is there enough ice??? I would like to know if there is enough ice be for I drive that far.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2012, 08:21 AM »
We are going to try and make it. Don't like the forecast one bit though.

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING...
THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NORTH PLATTE HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM LATE THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING.
* TIMING...PRECIPITATION WILL BEGIN FALLING ACROSS THE AREA THURSDAY NIGHT AND WILL CONTINUE INTO THE DAY SATURDAY. THE PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN FALLING AS RAIN THEN SWITCH OVER TO SNOW FRIDAY MORNING.
* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...LOCATI ONS THAT ARE MOST LIKELY TO RECEIVE TOTAL AMOUNTS OF 6 INCHES OR GREATER WILL BE FROM SOUTHWEST INTO CENTRAL NEBRASKA. THE LOCATION OF THE HIGHER SNOW AMOUNTS MAY CHANGE IF THE STORM TRACK DIFFERS FROM THE CURRENT PROJECTIONS.
* WIND...NORTHERLY WINDS OF 20 TO 30 MPH ARE POSSIBLE WHICH COULD CAUSE VISIBILITY RESTRICTIONS DUE TO BLOWING SNOW.
* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITH THIS STORM...INCLUDING ICY ROADS AND REDUCED VISIBILITIES DUE TO HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.
PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...
A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

dc

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2012, 08:35 AM »
well crud, would like to fish one tourney this year was going to call today to see if it was too late to enter that one

Offline JUST BELOW THE ICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2012, 09:01 AM »
You can sign up for the box tourney when you get there.  As for the ice I am sure there is enough of it!!! there was 13" last weekend.  Drive carful not supposed to be too nice out Friday night into Saturday morning!   Good luck!

Offline Uncle Grumpy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2012, 04:34 PM »
Gearing up with the Eskimo 3 out for it's first trip this season. Also the heater. Sounds like the wind will wind down on Sat. so that is good. Hope the bad stuff stays south of us but you never know. Made a batch of jerky today so stop on by.

Offline 13tjohns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2012, 05:47 PM »
what fish do you place for at this tourney. Pike, bass, bluegill, walleye or crappie. Or all of them?

Offline hammerhandle41

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2012, 06:23 PM »
what fish do you place for at this tourney. Pike, bass, bluegill, walleye or crappie. Or all of them?

Your entry money automatically enters you in to the total bag division (which is anything you can catch) and the panfish division and there is a side pot for biggest fish this year. So you can fish for just total bag or just panfish or enter fish in both divisions. Its all what you want to do.   

Offline 13tjohns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2012, 06:29 PM »
thanks hammerhandle. Is the tournament just on Saturday or is it a two day deal and where do you sign up at. and what time would a guy have to be there to get signed up and to hear about the rules and stuff like that.

Offline hammerhandle41

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2012, 06:53 PM »
thanks hammerhandle. Is the tournament just on Saturday or is it a two day deal and where do you sign up at. and what time would a guy have to be there to get signed up and to hear about the rules and stuff like that.

Yes it is just Saturday so everyone can get home for the Superbowl on sunday :). Regestration is from 7:30-9:00 at the boat ramp its the only one on the lake so you cant miss it. We are probably going to start talking about the rule and regs 15-20 min before 9:00 when the tourney starts.

Offline 13tjohns

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2012, 07:14 PM »
thanks again hammerhandle41. I might be going. Maybe see you out there! If not good luck

Offline Tebow Time

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2012, 11:33 PM »
Could you guys keep the ice conditions posted for the week.. Im gonna head up there monday but I wanna make sure the ice is safe before I go... Thanks and god bless
Hard Work beats Talent When Talen Doesnt Work Hard

Offline hammerhandle41

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2012, 11:36 PM »
I'm sure that the ice is good there was 12+ inches this last weekend and its been freezing every night so there should be enough to get us to the end of February.

Offline hammerhandle41

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2012, 11:40 PM »
thanks again hammerhandle41. I might be going. Maybe see you out there! If not good luck

Your welcome, if you have anymore questions just let me know.

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2012, 04:11 PM »
How much is it? I heard $15.00

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2012, 06:07 PM »
2012 Chadron State Wildlife Club Ice Fishing Tournament

Box Butte Reservoir
February 4th Registration starts at 7:30
Tournament begins at 9am. and weigh-in is at 3:30pm.
One man team ($15)   Entered in total weight of daily catch and panfish division. (10) Best panfish
Two man team ($30)   Entered in total weight of daily catch and panfish division. (10) Best panfish
Optional big fish pot for tournament ($5)

For more Information/Rules E-mail
Jake Rodiek:  [email protected]
Adam Bahl: [email protected]

dc

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2012, 08:37 PM »
i was hoping to make it but work calls so everybody be safe out there tomarow

Offline Tebow Time

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2012, 05:44 PM »
Any word on the ice conditions this wekend

Offline eepks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2012, 07:08 PM »
Had a blast!!! Caught some fish and the weather was great!!

Ice is a good 12"

Offline hammerhandle41

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2012, 07:53 PM »
I would really like to thank everyone who came out to the tournament to support the Chadron State Wildlife Club today. I hope that everyone had fun, and we hope to see you all again next year. We all who worked the tourney had a great time tallking to all of you, so thanks again for the support.

I will post results and hopefully some pictures tomorrow?

Offline Uncle Grumpy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2012, 09:06 PM »
I would like to thank the wildlife club for putting on a great tourney.  You guys are doing a good job. The weather was great and a lot of fish were caught. Not as many as last year but still good. We took second in the panfish division and were surprised to do it. Any time you can come home with 27lbs of fish is a good day. The winning total was 43lbs.

Offline fishngolf

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The bigger the teeth, the better it gets!!!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2012, 09:22 PM »
What a great day!!! The fishing was good, as well as the weather and even got to put faces to some of the Ice Shanty crew.
Thanks to the Outdoor Club for hosting this tournament, plan on being back next year.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2012, 08:40 AM »
Big thank you to CSC Wildlife Club. You all did a great job.  :tipup:

Always great meeting new people that enjoy this sport and getting to know IS members in person. Congrats to all the top placers. Pan fish division adds a little something to a pike dominant tourney. I like it. Poor rock bass won't be safe anywhere next time. Very fun event!!!

Sorry for those of you not attending. Plenty of ice, fishing was great, warm temps and no wind had the coeds sunbathing. I would post pictures, but got harassed for previous forum photos so I won't these. :P  Just shoulda been there.   ;)

If anyone is interested, fishngolf is a very good pike fisherman and will be looking for a new teammate with a better live-well system next year.  :'(

dc     

Offline Tebow Time

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 05, 2012, 11:13 AM »
Did anyone get into the Crappie? im headed to box butte in the morning and would love to tag some nice crappies

Offline wyofisher85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 05, 2012, 12:17 PM »
Couldn't make it to the tourney which was a disappointment. But I am heading down Monday morning and will be fishing Monday and Tuesday. I was thinking about taking my 4 wheeler down if the ice is safe enough. Does anyone know if I can use it on the ice and if so do I need a special permit for it?

Offline Uncle Grumpy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 05, 2012, 02:37 PM »
I did not see any crappie weighed but I did talk to two locals coming off the lake early with limits of panfish. There were at least two crappie their bucket. They said they fished in 5-10' with 6-7 the hot spot. They had a nice bunch of gills.

There were four wheelers all over the lake. Don't know about regs, just a park permit for sure. The edges were pretty sloppy coming off. The ice is a good solid 12" or so. Be carefull and good luck..

Offline wyofisher85

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 05, 2012, 04:54 PM »
Thanks for the info.

Offline Tebow Time

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 05, 2012, 05:10 PM »
Outstanding! thanks for the info. any pics?

Offline Uncle Grumpy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2012, 06:12 PM »
Sorry no pics, but the tourney sponsers may put up some. I did also hear of a 35" pike caught and I caught one at 30".  The slot is 28-34" Was not near as painfull as the 33 7/8" that I caught last year. My partner and I had different depths and we both caught about the same amount of fish. I put my tipups a couple of feet under the ice and he fished off the bottom. He also was using little perch that he caught. Best to very your approach and see what happens.

Offline fishngolf

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The bigger the teeth, the better it gets!!!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 05, 2012, 07:07 PM »
The largest legal fish of the tournament was 27 3/8". Almost perfect under the slot length for the pike.

Don't anyone think Sandbilly is only good at panfish, he caught pike after pike and released one that was almost 32". Oh yeah, in his spare time he managed to pulled out about a dozen perch. Don't think I will be looking anywhere else for a partner next year!!! ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.