Author Topic: St. Croix Legend Ice Rod  (Read 3425 times)

Offline Bluegill Man

• IceShanty Rookie
St. Croix Legend Ice Rod
« on: Dec 19, 2007, 03:02 PM »
I just received my new 24" UL Legend ice rod in the mail and noticed that the eyelet don't appear to line up like I'm accustomed to on my other rods.  They progressively become more off-centered to the left.  I was wondering if this was normal or if I should return this product.  Just curious if anyone else out there noticed this anomaly?
"Of all the liars in the world, rest assured that fisherman are the most trustworthy."

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: St. Croix Legend Ice Rod
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2007, 03:08 PM »
I don't have one of those but i would think they should line up. I'd give them a call
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline original_iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm out of beer... I'm out of beer...
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2007, 03:24 PM »
I have 3 Legend ice rods and none of mine do that, I would send it back if I was you.  Once you get a good one your going to enjoy the rods, at least I sure do!  Good luck, sorry to hear the problem that you have thou...

Offline fish time

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • i live to fish
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2007, 03:33 PM »
if you are going to spend that much money i wood get it fix or send it back :tipup:
from big ice to small ice i will be out there me and my bumpa

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2007, 04:51 PM »
I'd send it back - I own 4 of them and are all in alignment. They are great to work with and should be no problem fixing your problem.

:icefish:

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2007, 05:02 PM »
I'm not impressed with their ice rods at all... I've sold many at my shop and several have come with the tips completely off and rolling around in the box ::) I'd expect more for $50.

Offline crappieslayer22

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • damn dinks
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2007, 05:24 PM »
send it back i one a couple of those rod and mine are all perfict
Loren W
ST.Croix
Iced Slabs
28 in walleye
15 in crappie
14 in perch
12 in golden shiner
25 in pickerel
11 1/4 in bluegill
6 1/2 pound largemouth
36 in lake trout

Offline Bluegill Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2007, 05:43 PM »
Thanks everyone for your input.  I didn't think that the rod looked right and I'm a little disappointed that St. Croix would have this type of a problem on such a high-end rod.  I own several St. Croix spinning rods that I use for soft water fishing and love them.  The store I bought the rod from has agreed to send me a new one tomorrow, I just hope it gets here soon so that I can get out and use it ... weather permitting.  Tight lines to all of you!!!
"Of all the liars in the world, rest assured that fisherman are the most trustworthy."

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2007, 05:48 PM »
I'm not impressed with their ice rods at all... I've sold many at my shop and several have come with the tips completely off and rolling around in the box ::) I'd expect more for $50.

I agree with Blaine.  For the money you are better off to buy another higher end rod.  They are way over priced especially the Legend series.  You can actually buy their spring bobbers and get an eyelet and rubber gromit and make your.  I have done this on less expensive rods and the spring bobber works just as well.  The first and last Legend I own showed up with a broken tip and the replacment did not have the spring bobber lined up.  :(
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline Bluegill Man

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2007, 06:02 PM »
What types of higher end rods would you guys recommend??

Offline brewer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2007, 06:06 PM »
If you want a rod with the eyes that don't line up you can go to your local Gander Mtn and find plenty for $19.99.  Stopped in yesterday and was just browsing around. I noticed several rods with eyes that didn't line up.  Different brands as well.  You would think that an employee would look at the items as he hung them on the racks.  Guess not.

Offline Damn Yankee

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2007, 06:13 PM »

Top quality (made in USA) rods all come from Thorne Bros.   www.thornebros.com
Leave Some For Seed

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2007, 06:18 PM »

I like the Legend rods, however they are overpriced. I have 3 two of them I bought for $25 each though. A couple of my rod tips didn't line up and one fell off while trying to tweak it, I reglued it back on. If the guides are off slightly you can usually twist them into alignment. For the $$$ paid for these rods though they should be perfect out of the box.

For the best rods money can buy go to the following site: http://www.thornebros.com/winter/rods/thorne/custom_rods_menu.html
USA made too.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2007, 06:23 PM »
Bluegill,.....I think that is normal for them.  I bought 2 of them and one of them came with no tip on it.  The other ones eyes weren't lined up.  They were made in Vietnam.  You can't go wrong with the Thorne Bros. sweet pea....
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2007, 07:16 PM »
St. Croix goes to China and still wants a made in USA price. ::)

Their Triumph series spinning rods are the same story. They want to save a buck on overseas labor, but people bought their stuff because it was USA made! St. Croix shot themselves in the foot if you ask me. I own 2 legends and they look to be in order, but the made in SE Asia tag irritates me. If it wasn't for those spring indicators, I would have bought something else. I was going to talk to a custom rod builder about setting one up like Icenutter posted, but I never got to it. I love those spring tips..

Offline djkruszewski

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • that's one big hole.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2007, 07:30 PM »
i ordered some st croix premiers last year through thorne bros, they didn't line up either.  i just turned them myself and they are fine now.  i believe all of those line guides can be turned.
when fisherman fish alone, do they really catch fish??

Offline 4cator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Will ya look at that pig!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2007, 10:14 PM »
throw it back  ;)
All tyranny needs to succeed, is for men of good conscience to remain silent.    Thomas Jefferson.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.