Author Topic: hook set for bass  (Read 1621 times)

Offline erikphillips

• Team IceShanty Regular
hook set for bass
« on: Feb 13, 2007, 10:48 PM »
i have never jigged for bass before but am going to give it a shot. i'm a little uncertain when to set the hook. do people let the fish take the jig or do you set the hook when they hit? may seem dumb but i havent tried it yet and would hate to have a good jig end up in a fishes gut for no reason....thanks

Offline ICE CREEPER

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: hook set for bass
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2007, 08:25 AM »
The bass around here usually hook themselves when they hit

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2007, 09:53 AM »
In Michigan, Bass season ends on January 1st. If we have safe ice prior the Bass bite can be phenominal! I have found that the Bass around my area can in-hale, then ex-hale a small ice fishing jig about 1000 times faster than a rubber worm. Set the hook quick if you can. 8) :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Greenz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 06, 2007, 11:10 PM »
Never got a bass on a jig :-\  Good luck though :)
Fishing, Flyfishing and Bowhunting!!
Not here for a long time just a good time!!

Offline lotwfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 06, 2007, 11:57 PM »
I have caught them a few times and the way bass seem to take a bait is too inhale it and swim or blow it out (usually artificial tackle). I set the hook when i feel any kind of hit or my line moves sideways or such in the hole. You shouldnt nbee the big hook set either....Also depending on the bait. With live bait letting them take it can mean having them swallow it or take it deep. If you plan on keeping them ( I usually dont ) then letting them take it with live bait will mean more surer hook sets but if you want to release the fish and decrease the risk of hurting them then I would try and set it as soon as possible. Most bass with completely inhale a lure initially.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.