Author Topic: Bitter Lake Conditions  (Read 9205 times)

Offline creepworm

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bitter Lake Conditions
« Reply #30 on: Feb 26, 2013, 11:45 AM »
A decent rain followed by a freeze-up would be just fine with me.

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 26, 2013, 05:08 PM »
Anyplace in Webster to rent a sled ? Or anyone want to make a little cash renting theirs out?
Maybe a rookie at this game but willing to travel for the BITE....
Jiffy Pro4 8 in auger Clam Yukon Marcum LX 5 Muck boots. Xwife got the 4wheeler so I'm dragging it if I cant drive on the lake....

Offline fish-core

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 26, 2013, 10:00 PM »
Doug's renting a couple out I believe, check with him he may have something available.

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 28, 2013, 09:08 PM »
Yea talked to Doug today....it will prob be a couple weeks before I get up there so hopefully the truck traffic will be better by then........
Jiffy Pro4 8 in auger Clam Yukon Marcum LX 5 Muck boots. Xwife got the 4wheeler so I'm dragging it if I cant drive on the lake....

Offline bubba69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Mar 02, 2013, 03:08 PM »
looks like another dumping of snow on its way.was going to head up on thrus but if they get much more may have to cancel this trip,no sled >:(

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Mar 02, 2013, 08:56 PM »
I was just going to ask how's the fishing report was......Doug at sportsmans cove has speeds with trailers 100.00 per 24 hrs.....a couple guys pitch in it would be worth it.... ;D

Offline SDfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Mar 04, 2013, 01:43 PM »
Just fished it on Saturday morning, tip-up for pike, and did ok,

But a SLED is a MUST, just to get out on the ice was a pain. Then even when a flag did go up, a guy would get winded just walking to it, at least a foot on the ice plus a 2 inch crust makes its tuff.

But the fish are in the brine, and the pickels should be done in a 2 weeks.
Jesus was said to have walked on water, I feel comfort in knowing he was an avid ice fisherman like me.

Offline iabubba

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Mar 08, 2013, 05:21 AM »
We are up in webster and the guys at bitter lake resort are plowing trails on the lake.if ya are up here stop in and thank them it a great service.a big thank you from boys from iowa

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Mar 10, 2013, 11:53 AM »
That's Great to hear.....anyone been doing any good?  Ice still must be good enough to drive on....? Any major Heaves? 
Hoping on one last trip depending on the weather......

Offline jon johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "He says you fish poorly."
« Reply #39 on: Mar 11, 2013, 08:00 AM »
Is there any possibility of ATV travel at this point? Wondered what the weather this weekend did to it.  Hoping for some settling.
Clam Thermal X--Ski Doo Summit---Vexilar FL-12

Offline roostertail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Mar 11, 2013, 03:07 PM »
Fished Bitter last Friday, the good folks at the new Bitter Lake Lodge have a Bombardier that they have plowed access well out onto the lake with. I had no trouble driving out in a 4wd pickup, and there were lots of other trucks out there as well. We were planning on fishing Fri-Sun, but the weather forecast was pretty dismal so we left Friday afternoon rather than fight the ice storm followed by snow and wind that was in the forecast, and it sounds like it was a good thing we did. We didn't do any good fishing, but access wasn't the problem. Can't say what affect the weekend's weather had though.

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Mar 11, 2013, 05:09 PM »
Where's this new Bitter Lake Lodge located at? Is it along the South side ? I noticed there was a couple new buildings along the road going to the south Ramp....
Oh boy feeling the flu coming on.......... ;D. Sick day here I come

Offline ravelingw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Mar 11, 2013, 07:41 PM »
fishing was tuff last weekend if you set up on them you did fair depth from 20 to 35 ft. bitterlake lodge plowed a lot of trails on the lake. still need snowmoble to get to your favorite spots.

Offline dwmiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Mar 12, 2013, 07:23 AM »
Are 4 wheelers able to make it out on the plowed paths or do you still need the clearance and power of a p/u. Has anyone been on Waubay? I heard they had a few plowed paths on it also on the south end.
It's all about Ducks, Dogs, and Kids

Offline roostertail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Mar 12, 2013, 08:50 AM »
Bitter Lake Lodge is on the east side of the lake, it's on the oil road that goes down to the state access from town.

Offline roostertail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Mar 12, 2013, 11:02 AM »
Tried Waubay (north of the Grenville grade) for a while Friday morning before going to Bitter, nada. Never went to the south end, so I can't say about access there. Some of the guys in our group did pretty good for on gills at Enemy Swim, they were able to get out on the Swim using four wheelers. Don't know for sure how much access was affected by the weather over the weekend. As for wheelers on Bitter, I don't think I would try it.

Offline dwmiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Mar 12, 2013, 11:28 AM »
Thank you for the info. I have pushed out three trips this year due to snow. I am coming up hook or crook just want to have all my bases covered. If access is to tough, can always drop down to Thompson or Whitewood. I think a sled or tracks are in the works for next year.

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Mar 18, 2013, 09:53 AM »
So even with these plowed trails on bitter, it'd still be a good idea to bring the sled along?
Let's fish it.

Offline moab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Mar 18, 2013, 01:42 PM »
So even with these plowed trails on bitter, it'd still be a good idea to bring the sled along?

Is this a question or an answer?  You are located in NESD and you are in blizzard conditions right now.  I would think the answer to this is definately yes. 

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Mar 19, 2013, 08:53 AM »
Is this a question or an answer?  You are located in NESD and you are in blizzard conditions right now.  I would think the answer to this is definately yes. 

And I had friends 20 miles away from my house where it was a whiteout who said the sun was shining with no snow or wind...AND with reports of plowed trails out on the lake I figured I'd just ask some fellow members on here incase I don't need to lug my sled up there.  But by all means thanks for the response.
Let's fish it.

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Mar 19, 2013, 12:08 PM »
Take your sled....the roads only go so far.....

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Mar 19, 2013, 12:10 PM »
Take your sled....the roads only go so far.....

Thanks very much sir!! WHat i expected to hear but just wanted confirmation...
Let's fish it.

Offline jonas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Mar 20, 2013, 01:23 PM »
Still bring a sled for sure.  Tough to get around yet.  Not sure what the wind did these past couple of days.

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Mar 20, 2013, 08:44 PM »
Thanks!
Let's fish it.

Offline jon johnson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "He says you fish poorly."
« Reply #54 on: Mar 28, 2013, 04:57 PM »
Anyone on Bitter lately?  Thinking about heading up next Wednesday after some melting/settling.
Clam Thermal X--Ski Doo Summit---Vexilar FL-12

Offline Greasy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Mar 29, 2013, 09:53 PM »
As of today bring a sled and rubber boots
82 pinto, acid washed levi's, members only jacket, Dekalb stocking hat, and a banana hamock

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Mar 29, 2013, 10:23 PM »
Howa the fishing?
Let's fish it.

Offline jonas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Apr 03, 2013, 11:24 AM »
Fishing is pretty slow.  Fish are down there but no takers.  I hope its not because of low 02 conditions, they seemed pretty lethargic hopefully the ice comes off soon!

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Apr 04, 2013, 02:45 PM »
Has the snow melted yet? What's the ice like? They still plowing roads or not?

Offline dwmiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Apr 08, 2013, 06:44 AM »
Fished Waubay, for the last trip of the season. Ice is still 24"+ but drills soft. About 5" of slush on top, with a few slush pockets 12" deep. We were told the Bitter was even worse. Was able to get around with a 4 Wheeler pretty easy, but the access points are really rough. Fishing was real good, most people were catching good numbers of perch. Early morning and late day were best. Only 8 and a half months to go tell ice up :tipup: Have a safe open water season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.