Author Topic: Black Hills Ice report  (Read 12936 times)

Offline Fillet

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Black Hills Ice report
« Reply #60 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:20 PM »
No ice over the good trout water on Pactola. Pretty shaky looking ice in Jenny. If you want a few trout to eat or just catch to say you caught some trout I would go to Horsethief. Jig in that 6 to 12 foot range and hang on. They come flying in, chase your jig, and give it a good thump. Plus some crappies and perch to boot. My advice for you anyways...

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Dec 07, 2011, 09:28 PM »
ahh yes, the ol ice dilemma.  Forgot there wasn't any ice out there.  The other lakes in the central/southern hills might be worth trying also.  Sylvan, Center, Lakota

Offline nbaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Dec 07, 2011, 10:34 PM »
Yeah if pactola had good ice I would go there and try for a laker!  I've never been to Horse Thief, is there a place where I can get a lake map so I can find the 6' to 12' water faster?

Offline Fillet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Dec 07, 2011, 10:45 PM »
Pretty much anywhere on the south end is 6 to 12'. Drill some holes and start hopping around! Most of the perch seem to be in the deeper water (20') or right in the weeds. Horsethief is a fun little lake full of plenty of biters. One thing bad about fishing Horsethief though is having to look at the butt's of the presidents all day

Offline nbaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Dec 07, 2011, 11:10 PM »
Can you have live bait on that lake?

Offline Fillet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Dec 08, 2011, 07:08 AM »
Live baitfish can only be used on Stockade, Sheridan, and Pactola

Offline TheRo0sTer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Dec 08, 2011, 11:48 AM »
That applies to Black Hills lakes. If you are going to fish outside of the Black Hills check the Fishing Handbook for regulations.
Anthony

Offline PerchMaster24/7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Dec 08, 2011, 05:38 PM »
To catch numbers of trout I'd go to deerfield. The bite is always consistant and if you have two setups handy you might be able to catch a handful of perch in the same spot. Perch populations have really increased the last couple of years. You may also get a shot at a monster splake up there!

Offline Foshay

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Back Tha PACK
« Reply #68 on: Dec 08, 2011, 08:01 PM »
I'll post ice conditions if good at stockade n maybe Sheridan.  Going Fri morning.  Think someone posted 5 "
Joshua 1:9

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Dec 08, 2011, 08:14 PM »
from what i've experienced and heard, stockade should be all good to go.  If you do check out sheridan, and have time, it'd be nice to know the ice condition down by the south boat ramp

Offline Foshay

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Back Tha PACK
« Reply #70 on: Dec 08, 2011, 09:05 PM »
Isn't that the side where supposedly a current flow from what someone told me?  or maybe its on other side.  was told to stay off of there till later.  if not n I got time I'll stop.  Just gotta hustle back for Rush game

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Dec 08, 2011, 10:30 PM »
Fished Stockade Wens 12/8 in the afternoon landed about 50 perch in about 2 hours. Nothing big. Had three flags up shallow but no hook ups. 5" to 6" of ice. Fished Deefield early in the AM and landed three trout and I perch. ice was a solid 5".
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline Foshay

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Back Tha PACK
« Reply #72 on: Dec 09, 2011, 05:34 PM »
Perch biting at Stockade this 9 to 2.  Caught about 30 I suppose.  Bout 10 were pretty good size.  Guessin 7" of ice

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Dec 09, 2011, 06:44 PM »
A buddy and I fished Sheridan for a couple about an hour and a half with no luck. I have never fished Sheridan before. It was a spur of the moment thing. the ice where the creek comes in was about 8 ish inches. Does anyone have any suggestions for when i go back to Sheridan? Looking at hitting stockade next wednesday after my finals.

Offline Foshay

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Back Tha PACK
« Reply #74 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:12 PM »
Hit stockade about 300 yards from the dam on the 3rd turn I think into the lake

Offline nbaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:26 PM »
How was the fishin this last weekend?  I'm going to try to get out with my dad on friday and maybe again on sunday.  Don't know where though?

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #76 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:37 PM »
fished sheridan sunday.  Probably caught 50 perch and 1 rainbow.  I think i only kept 6 or 7 fish.  Caught a lot in the 6-7 inch range. 

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:59 PM »
Flagchasher i was thinking about going out tomorrow around one. I think i was fishing the inlet? I was right by the parking area off of the highway there. We couldnt find water deeper than 8 to 10 feet. I would love to get on some perch tomorrow if I can. Would you be willing to point me in the right direction?   

Offline nbaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:28 PM »
Did you have a chance to check out the south end of the lake by the boat ramp?

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Dec 13, 2011, 12:31 AM »
nbaker if that last post was directed to me. No I didn't we hit sheridan if we have just a couple hours after school. I was thinking I would try over by the marina tomorrow. I have been studying the contour map of Sheridan and I think that would be a good place to try. I am determined to catch some good fish out of that lake. 

Offline Jynx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Dec 13, 2011, 02:54 PM »
Big Al 1:

The south launch is also treating me fairly already this year on the perch.  There is roughly 5" of good clean ice from the ramp clear out to where the bay meets the main body of water, this may be a good place to try as well.  most of my fish have been coming from 15-25 ft of water, and the bigger fish have been deeper

Tight Lines
Jynx

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:05 PM »
Thanks for all the tips guys. We went to Sheridan and caught 14 perch and 2 crappies. I couldn't have done it without your tips thanks again everyone.

Offline KingCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Dec 14, 2011, 03:27 PM »
A few of us will be on Sheridan Saturday - anyone else planning on it?

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #83 on: Dec 14, 2011, 05:14 PM »
Not Sheridan, but there are a couple of us planning to hit Orman on Sat if anyone else is interested....  :tipup:
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline nbaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:38 PM »
Might try Sheridan on friday with my dad hopefully, I don't want to go christmas shopping with my mom & wife!  Sunday I'm going to take the wife and kids out to Sheridan for sure.

Offline Outdoors_Junkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Dec 16, 2011, 01:21 PM »
Not Sheridan, but there are a couple of us planning to hit Orman on Sat if anyone else is interested....  :tipup:

I am in Spearfish and was thinking of hitting Orman this weekend too.  When and where? 

I hear the afternoon to evening bite has been best.

Offline nodakbassmaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #86 on: Dec 16, 2011, 02:18 PM »
I will be there a little before sunrise on the north side of the main part of Gadens Point that points towards the dam. I'll have my big Red Eskimo Eskape shelter out there and be wearing black Carhart, my geezer gold 4dr long bed Ram will be on shore with a yellow atv in the back or around it somewhere..... if you want I'll PM you my Cell # :tipup:

Just to make it harder to miss me, I'll have the Ice Shanty flag on the ATV too!
-Richard

Not enough ice or time... not necessarily in that order.

Offline sdpackfan25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #87 on: Dec 16, 2011, 02:59 PM »
My brother and I are planning on being on Orman fairly early also.  We will have Clam shacks and both driving dodges.  I will probably leave the 4 wheeler home on this trip.  Hope to meet a few of you on the ice.

Good Luck!

Offline Fillet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Dec 16, 2011, 10:32 PM »
Nice fishin rig there bassmaster! Be careful around Gadens this weekend. Someone reported to the Rooster that there was open water somewhere around Gadens. Take that for what its worth.

Offline nbaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #89 on: Dec 16, 2011, 11:24 PM »
We had some luck today, fished from 10 til around 4, caught fish all day.  Lots of little perch and gills, and a couple trout.  We took home a dozen fish, was nice to have some fresh fish to go with supper!  Might head back Sunday afternoon to see how the late afternoon & evening bite is.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.