Author Topic: Ice in Nashua NH!  (Read 1594 times)

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice in Nashua NH!
« on: Nov 30, 2013, 01:22 PM »
Small acre pond had 2.5" of clear ice on it this morning.. Walked on the edges but didnt want to test my luck.. Earliest ice i can remember seeing  ;D gets me excited for first ice. Wont be long fellas!! Oh and my new dog loves the ice, always a plus!
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline PapaAthona

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice in Nashua NH!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2013, 03:46 PM »
These posts are pumping me up!  Awesome! 

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2013, 08:00 PM »
Yep, I found 2" of hard water in the henniker area! Walked on it! Crystal clear. Going to check some other ponds tomorrow.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:19 PM »
Small acre pond had 2.5" of clear ice on it this morning.. Walked on the edges but didnt want to test my luck.. Earliest ice i can remember seeing  ;D gets me excited for first ice. Wont be long fellas!! Oh and my new dog loves the ice, always a plus!

haight if you are new to dogs on the ice there are a couple safety things to keep in mind in addition to the obvious issue of thin ice. If you have experience with dogs on the ice you already know this.

Watch out for bare ice with out good traction.  There are all kinds of post on here about dogs blowing out their hips and knees on slick ice.  Very painful for the dog, very expensive for you.  As much as it pains me I leave Cooper at home when the ice is slick he stays at home.

Keep your auger blades and chipper blades covered

Don't let them start eating bait or fish.  With mine it does not matter how much I try to stop him, so I have to be extra vigilant.  The vet bill for a hook remove from a dogs esophagus is not cheep.  look up the posts.  So far the only time I had to chase my dog with a tipup trailing behind him the hook was stuck in his lip.  I made sure that it came out hard and since he has not pulled that one again, though he will eat bait if no one is looking.

Enjoy the dog I bring mine all the time, just try to keep one step ahead of the pup.

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2013, 09:28 PM »
I appreciate the post. My dog will never be on bare ice.. My old dog had the hip problem after my sister took him out on the slick stuff and he tool a spill. Ive been with people with dogs on the ice ad their paws get torn up. Sucks! But thanks for the concern it means alot! :)
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Follow the code of the Fish Nerds...
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2013, 04:20 AM »
My dog wears muttlucks on the ice, the do not improve traction they worsen it, a few years ago when we had almost no snow the wind was blowing so hard, my dog was bracing herself and the wind pushed her across the ice a hundred feet or so...I leave her home on days like that now.  ;D
For free fishy fun, check out the Fish Nerds Podcast on iTunes or Stitcher

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:39 AM »
I'm not a fan of dogs on the ice when ice fishing especially males. My buddy brought his male dog "Hector" out last year and he decided to use my pack basket to mark his territory. Hector and I are no longer friends.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:42 AM »
I'm not a fan of dogs on the ice when ice fishing especially males. My buddy brought his male dog "Hector" out last year and he decided to use my pack basket to mark his territory. Hector and I are no longer friends.

Did Hector have a boot sticking out of it's hind quarters?

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:51 AM »
Did Hector have a boot sticking out of it's hind quarters?

Hector was a fast mutt and I couldn't catch him. Even tried to lure him back with food but he knew he was on my hit list. Don't have to worry about Hector anymore he went to Doggie Heaven this summer. I'm going to miss him. At least I will not have to hang my pack basket on the bobhouse this year.

Offline Surfcaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2013, 07:58 AM »
My pups stay at home unless there is snow cover too.  Last year at Bellamy my dog John ran over to some other guys fishing and was looking for food and he ended up hosing on one their sleds n bait bucket...i appolgized but they were laughing about it....glad they thought it was funny... :P

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:03 AM »
I have a friend that almost lost a Lab down a 10" hole in the shanty. Fell in hind first, was able to grab the collar just as she went under the ice. Don't think a 65lb dog can fit through a 10" hole? Think again! Just be careful.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:13 AM »
I had a lab that lifted his leg on the game warden while he was checking our licensees....soaked his Johnson wools from the knee down until my cousin noticed what was going on  :woot:

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:19 AM »
I had a lab that lifted his leg on the game warden while he was checking our licensees....soaked his Johnson wools from the knee down until my cousin noticed what was going on  :woot:

Claude?

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:30 AM »
No, it was in the 90's on Nubi...something like Marcou???

Offline basst_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2013, 08:57 AM »
my buddy and i trained his dog to chase flags!

wed be looking down a hole panfish jigging! look up and see him halfway across the pond running after a flag!

the best and craziest fishing dog ever! i got more stories about him! jumping into a striper blitz trying to eat the fish!!!!

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2013, 12:37 PM »
well all the ice we had in Nashua is pretty much gone.. my little pond has a skim over it and that probably wont last too long.. but cold temps this week will be promising! :tipup:

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2013, 10:46 PM »
Has anyone had the chance to head back out and check the ice? We've had some really cold days and I can't wait to hear how much ice we have! I'm currently at college and come home Thursday and can't wait to get out there, I live in Amherst but have never fished in Nashua does anyone know any good ponds close by?
Tight Lines!

Offline bngalloNHVTfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 13, 2013, 10:53 PM »
I'm a little more South in Windham NH. Went out on Cobbetts Pond (fairly large pond) and it barely had enough to support my weight. I walked out probably 2-3 feet where there was probably around 1" - 1.5" of ice. Looking out at the rest of the lake, it looked like it was all skimmed over!

I'm hoping these next few even COLDER days thicken the ice up enough! I'm in the same boat as you I just got home from college earlier this week! Hoping to get in some quality time on the ice until I have to go back.

Ben

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2013, 01:51 PM »
found 4" today, but have work at 4 so no fishing  >:( sucks!

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2013, 03:02 PM »
awesome thanks everyone! Hoping to get out there soon :tipup:
Tight Lines!

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2013, 04:36 PM »
Saturday before the snow I checked the ice on a small pond just down the road from the ICE HOLE in Brookline - spud went through too easy on ice measuring about 2.5 inches.  The temps are good but this snow isn't going to help… it will be a bit before I venture out on this one.

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2013, 04:42 PM »
I'm in Peterborough.. went out Saturday and was surprised to be on 5" over the whole pond.. got some perch and a decent 2.3lb largemouth.. waiting for some of the other places around here with trout to be solid.. likely should be this weekend. Probably the earliest I've been out in forever too .. nothing like getting a few extra bonus weekends with an early season !

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.