Author Topic: Flasher battery Charger ?  (Read 895 times)

Offline alumabass

• IceShanty Rookie
Flasher battery Charger ?
« on: Mar 06, 2012, 06:06 PM »
This fall I bought a 1 year old used Marcum VX1 from a local guy, but the battery would not charge before I bought it so we negotiated the price if I bought a new battery.  I bought the new battery and did the initial charge with my Battery Tender.  I used the unit twice and then charged it with the Marcum charger..............a gain it will not take a charge.  Basically this unit has been through 2 batteries in 2 years, could it be the cheesy Marcum charger that comes with the VX1?  Maybe it is defective?  The charger for my older LX3 works fine on the LX3, but would be a pain to use on the VX1.  Do you have any idea what would work for a reliable compact charger for my VX1?  I guess Iam thinking that there may be something wrong with the charger considering that it has been through 2 batteries in 2 years.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Flasher battery Charger ?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2012, 06:11 PM »
Call Marcum, they will maybe give you a new one....

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2012, 06:15 PM »
Sounds like a bad charger. Any "Stepped" 12 volt charger will charge your 12 volt batteries. The little transformer based chargers (Black box plugged into wall) are not that good for a battery when they are working right. Here is some info on charging;
The style of charger that all the major battery manufactures recommend is a stepped or multi staged charger. The new stepped chargers charge at a higher voltage and as the batteries become charged, the voltage drops to a lower level.  Most all lead acid/ AGM battery manufactures call for their batteries to be charged at about 14.6 volts. At this voltage range batteries will charge quickly, fully and help to de-sulfate the batteries.  As batteries discharges sulfates builds up on the plates and make a barrier that current can not flow through. With a higher voltage the sulfate is “knocked” off the plates. A gentle bubbling you see when a lead acid battery is charging is helping to knock the sulfates off the plates.

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2012, 11:54 AM »
Get one of these.      http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S  inexpensive and a great charger to boot.
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.