Author Topic: noodle rod question  (Read 672 times)

Offline ougot1

• Team IceShanty Regular
noodle rod question
« on: Dec 02, 2023, 08:55 AM »
will a 1/12 oz tungsten jig be to heavy for the tip of a noodle rod ? the rod i am interested in is the beaver dam 27'' or 32'' , any help appreciated !

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: noodle rod question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2023, 09:08 AM »
1/12 of an Oz. is 2.36 grams which is pretty heavy for a noodle rod.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2023, 02:24 PM »
It will handle it.  It's not that soft, just a soft load with fish on.  It will handle up to 1/8th oz. lures comfortably.  Starts to be tip mushy at 1/4 oz. which is superb for dead stick at that.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline defish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2023, 05:37 PM »
If you can see the rods you are interested in at a store, hang a spoon from the tip and give it a light tug that is equal to how much force you use to work those spoons to see if deflects a lot to seem like it's too floppy.

Offline jlkachina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 03, 2023, 07:36 AM »
Of all places I picked up a nice noodle rod @ Walmarts that's exactly what you are looking for, also made by Beaver Dam

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2023, 05:20 AM »
The "noodle" rod term gets thrown around alot by rod manufacturers....often they just mean that's it made out of glass.

True noodles are super light, sensitive, flexible & made for light jigs (< 1/12 oz).

That said, I bet you could make it work w/ small, subtle jigging moves....even if the tip might always have a bend in it....and still catch plenty of fish.

The Beaver Dam Noodles are fairly inexpensive, so if you buy it & don't like it for 1/12 oz jigs....you could always use it for something else....or even dead-sticking....and you're still only out $15-$18.

Good luck!  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.