New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Fine for outdated baitfish receipt  (Read 5100 times)

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fine for outdated baitfish receipt
« Reply #30 on: Jan 14, 2015, 12:59 PM »
I don't  belive  they  are allowed to trap  fresh water bait  in nys I think it's all bait farm  isn't it?

Correct. No trapping. They are all bought.... Certified bait
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #31 on: Jan 14, 2015, 01:08 PM »
lol, but if all ya buy is pike bait, then it is worth it.

2X I've got 40$ swimming around in my basement.
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Jan 14, 2015, 01:26 PM »
Another year of needing a receipt has gone by. I'll ask the same question I have since this started.

Is there one member who can show proof that they got a ticket for an outdated or no receipt for bait?

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline KeukaZ71

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Jan 14, 2015, 01:47 PM »
Another year of needing a receipt has gone by. I'll ask the same question I have since this started.

Is there one member who can show proof that they got a ticket for an outdated or no receipt for bait?

Rg

been stopped many times. never asked for a receipt. just license and tipups labeled

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Jan 14, 2015, 01:51 PM »
Exactly!

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #35 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:00 PM »
Exactly!

Rg

RG, I was with my buddy Dave when he got a bait receipt ticket.  It was the first year of the law, and they were looking to write the ticket.  We were fishing Mariahville Lake.    We all got checked.   The bucket my buddy was using to put his fish in had some old fatheads frozen to the bottom.   Of course my buddy didn't have his receipt for those frozen dead fatheads...and got a ticket for it.   I was 10 feet away from him when this happened.    Only bait receipt ticket I've seen given...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #36 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:02 PM »
Ok, there's 1.

Rg

Offline G.Warner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:13 PM »
You can Trap bait fish but you can only use them in the same water that you trap them in,do it all the time.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:28 PM »
You can Trap bait fish but you can only use them in the same water that you trap them in,do it all the time.

Me too.  Its amazing how I always seem to find those goldens trip after trip....must be special  ;)

Offline H2O-32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:38 PM »
RG, I have been checked for bait receipt numerous times on the causeway @ Otisco Lake. I have seen the game warden give a guy one for no bait receipt. He and his friends were using a cast net. This was open water, I only have encountered him once on my way out on the ice. I hadn't started fishing yet so he didn't check anything. So at least on Otisco, it is enforced. I believe warden's name was Richard Head, and yes that is his real name. It is probably enforced by some wardens more than others, just depends on your location.

Offline perch-hound

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 14, 2015, 02:50 PM »
Like others have stated, you 'can' trap bait in New York...but...you need a license for that as well!
Here's the link to the license application for those interested.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/baitlicenseap.pdf

Offline jon ny

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 14, 2015, 03:07 PM »
I've been checked for a receipt twice.  Once on George, while I was walking off the ice.  Ironic he didn't ask for my license, just wanted to see the receipt.  Other time was on a smaller body.  Two friends had bought a  license but left them at the hotel (no I'm not opening a new can of worms- he rightly could have ticketed them but looked them up in the system instead as a courtesy).  Before he looked them up in the system he asked to see a receipt just to make sure they weren't pulling a fast one on him. 
I love clipboard man

Offline jiignut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:39 PM »
I really dont know anything about $2.00, and $5.00 a dozen bait. I get the biggest they have. Pricey. But its not so much the cost. Its the pain in the butt too have to drive down the valley for nine miles for NEW bait, then turn around , nine miles back, pass my house again and go another six miles to my lake. Just to be in compliance. Believe me I'm not looking over my shoulder. And, three pages, and nobody knows the cost of that ticket.cheers

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 14, 2015, 09:58 PM »
Don't forget your supporting the ever disappearing bait shops!  How often to you have to drive out of your way to get bait because there are so few shops left???   Id rather give the shop the $2 for the receipt then give the state $100+ for the ticket! ;D

It's my understanding that the bait shops made out better when bait certification wasn't required. Now there are more strings atatched which means more hands in the pot.  Sometimes they cannot even get bait if there dealer is out. Now they are on the radar with sales receipts if you catch my drift.

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #44 on: Jan 14, 2015, 10:58 PM »
I'm not a fan of the law either. However; keep in mind, if you buy bait every ten days, your keeping the local bait shop in business. I cant imagine running one is a real money maker.

Believe me, there is nothing more I would like to do then catch a bunch of smelt to use as tip-up bait on other lakes... but the rules are the rules. sometimes you just have to deal. Someone with a lot more biological education/ experience has put this idea in the law makers hands for a reason. Being a double Biology major I can understand this.

Offline sbuffaloice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 15, 2015, 12:22 AM »
The last couple comments hit on what I was going to say.  In Pre-certification days , bait shop owners could catch and buy their own local bait and resell it. Now, there is money going out of state to bait farms, being sold to the bait shops at whatever they want to charge them, and passed down to us, the consumer.I'd love to see the actual " certification" process that guarantees that each and everyone of these out of state bait fish goes thru to deem them safe.Besides, we used to get much larger chubs for pike when they were local, and a " bakers dozen" was the norm. Now, they are counting each and every one of the chubs like they are gold.
I understand the concern over invasive species and disease, but personally see this as just another way for NYS  to squeeze us. Honestly, it's hurting small businesses and the sportsman of NYS..
Off my soapbox now...
Real good Steve, we were biting this morning..we were biting this morning...

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Jan 15, 2015, 03:35 AM »
We certainly do get the squeeze in ny. Rochester has the 4 th highest gas prices in the nation due to almost $.70 per gallon in taxes. However, I fail to see where the state is making any real money off the bait regs. Sure the bait is somehow deemed certified by who knows who. A fee is probably paid for that service. Ain't nobody getting rich of bait certification. Not the inspectors, the state or the bait farms.

In my opinion, it's a necessary evil. VHS is very real. Whatever restrictions are needed to stop the spread are fine by me.

Rg

Offline big_guy_13021

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 15, 2015, 06:07 AM »
Dec always checks bait reciet .no biggie i guess although if u pike fish like me then it can get a bit exspensive if u have a slow day on the ice13 bucks a dozen.and if u can only get out once every 10 days .that would blow..more money outta ur pocket..but it beats paying the normal 100 bucks for not having a reciept..

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 15, 2015, 07:04 AM »
I still believe that ducks, geese, and other critters that travel from one water to the next are more of a harm than people that trap bait. You would think that frozen bait would kill any organism that could infect the waters. I'm sure mergansers regurgitate plenty of bait that's undigested. Same with the ever popular cormorant.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:37 AM »
I still believe that ducks, geese, and other critters that travel from one water to the next are more of a harm than people that trap bait. You would think that frozen bait would kill any organism that could infect the waters. I'm sure mergansers regurgitate plenty of bait that's undigested. Same with the ever popular cormorant.

Nope. Freezing doesn't kill all viruses. Only fire and some chemicals kill all viruses.

Offline bird21s

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:48 AM »
Well I stand corrected, what about VHS does freezing kill or prevent the spread Of that? Since that's the underline problem here. Might not but bottom line I feel the bait laws are bogus. If the state requires certified bait so be it, it shouldn't expire though and I won't be convinced of anything different.

Offline felix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Jan 15, 2015, 09:28 AM »
  Does VHS come from underground wells or municipal water supplies? How does it get into a cooler sitting on my front porch? Is it like a time bomb that goes off after ten days? Who did the science on this? Where is the evidence that after ten days my bait is dangerous?  Do bait shops have to dump all of their bait after ten days? Where did this number come from?
  I agree that the spread of invasives and disease is a real and serious problem and that bait should be certified, but until I see proof I will continue to consider ten days as being arbitrary and political rather then scientific. 
  Just because something is a law, rule or regulation does not mean it is right. Our forefathers were pretty clear on how they felt about following unjust laws, nothing wrong with a little rebellion from time to time. It's the American way.

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:24 AM »
The 10 day rule is there to make sure you don't catch/trap your own bait and use a receipt from 3 months ago saying it was certified

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:28 AM »
lol, doesnt matter what its there for, its ridiculous. i think if they, whoever, extends it to a4 days, alot of people would be fine and not complain

Offline fishmaster13184

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:36 AM »
They should just abolish that rule, I know in the thousand islands you do not need certified bait

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:29 AM »
They should just abolish that rule, I know in the thousand islands you do not need certified bait

Only if you are on the Canadian side!

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:38 AM »
Well I stand corrected, what about VHS does freezing kill or prevent the spread Of that? Since that's the underline problem here. Might not but bottom line I feel the bait laws are bogus. If the state requires certified bait so be it, it shouldn't expire though and I won't be convinced of anything different.

I found this: The (VHS) virus has been shown to survive two freeze/thaw cycles in a conventional freezer, suggesting both live and frozen bait could be a transmission vector.

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:47 AM »

From the DEC website, prefaced by a statement about "as used in all bodies of water in / bordering NY." Note in particular the last line: Certified bait fish can be transported overland and can be used in any body of water where it is legal to use bait fish. When buying certified bait fish, a sale receipt that has the name of the selling vendor, date sold, species of fish sold, and quantity of fish sold must be issued by the bait vendor. A receipt is valid for 10 days from the date of sale. The angler must have this receipt available while transporting or using the bait fish.

Offline felix

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:49 AM »
The 10 day rule is there to make sure you don't catch/trap your own bait and use a receipt from 3 months ago saying it was certified

We are talking about trying to prevent the spread of invasive species and disease. Moving fish, water, plant's etc... from one body of water to another is already illegal.  Someone who is willing to do that is far different then someone who wants to reuse bait that has been certified. If the argument you are making is that it makes it easier for law enforcement to catch someone who has moved non-certified bait then you are correct. However, it does little to prevent the spread of invasives/disease. By the time the ticket is given the damage has been done.
  Making criminals out of people who care about the environment and have no intention on spreading invasives/disease just because others don't care can undermine the public trust and lead to unintentional consequences.  Our government lacks credability on all levels, the ten day limit only helps law enforcement issue tickets and does little to prevent the spread of invasives and disease. I understand the principal of deterrent. A good law deters people from breaking it, a bad law deters people from following it. This is a bad law and it needs to go.
  I propose we all save our receipts and expired bait then we mail them along with an invoice for the amount of money they are making us waste. We could call it "The Bait Fish Revolution of 2015".
  I typed that last part just cause I thought it would be a funny thing to say, but.........   

Offline jsmex

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'm awaitin for a lunker!
« Reply #59 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:51 AM »
They should arbitrarily make it 16 days so we can get a few weekends out of them. My certified fatheads from gander mountain refuse to die, they're 3 weeks old now.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.