The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Onota and the Glen  (Read 628 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Onota and the Glen
« on: Feb 11, 2024, 05:22 PM »
This morning, I met with Mogli and his girlfriend Tiffany around 10:30 AM at Onota Lake in Pittsfield.

We set up to the right of the boat launch/pier at Burbank Park, where there seemed to be a promising "transitional" zone between shallow weeds and deeper stony bottom.

The weather was favorable - - about 40 degrees and cloudy for most of the day (although it did clear up in the late afternoon), albeit a bit windy.

The ice was good too - - generally about 7" of white ice, with (much to my surprise) no water on top.

Unfortunately, we only had two flags (and no strikes on the jig) all day.

My tip up went off fairly early on, with the line "screaming" out, but I messed up on the retrieve, and it got away.

Mogli caught a small (24"?) pike on another tip up later in the day.

We made up for the poor fishing by eating like kings - - hot dogs, hamburgers, braised pork in a tomatillo sauce, not just one but two different types of Indian food, clementines, a pot of hot coffee and Reese's peanut butter cups for dessert.

We were also checked by an EPO - - the fourth one that I've seen this year.  And I can recall going four years or more without seeing one.

I picked up around 3 PM and headed home.  (Mogli and Tiffany had a bit more equipment to retrieve, so I left before they did).

On my drive home, I stopped at Greylock Glen and ice fished a small pond.  (The "upper" pond, not the one with the gazebo).

An hour of fishing produced three large mouth bass, ranging from 12" to 18", as well as a couple other "missed" flags.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Onota and the Glen
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2024, 12:36 PM »
Nice work Jim.  I was in the same areas on Friday and Sunday.  High pressure this weekend made for some slow fishing for me.  Weather made up for the limited fish.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Onota and the Glen
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2024, 01:07 PM »
good outing ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.