Author Topic: Shimano Stradic Ci4+ Drag problem while ice fishing ?  (Read 1745 times)

Offline DanDANthefisherman1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish
Bought this reel over the summer and had no problems with it in the summer and fall months.
Went to use it while ice fishing, and the drag would not adjust at all ! Stays very loose and will not tighten up at all.  Has anyone else had this problem ?
Anyone have a quick fix for me ?
                                            Thanks in advance,
                                                                         Dan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish
Re: Shimano Stradic Ci4+ Drag problem while ice fishing ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15, 2015, 08:49 PM »
Just took the rod and reel out of my rod case, that has been in the warm house for a day, and the drag works fine !! To me it sounds like some part is contracting from the cold of ice fishing. Help

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2015, 05:00 PM »
There's been chatter about that off and on with the Stradic's over the years, particularly the 2000's.
I don't know why, never heard a reason.  Shouldn't have carried over into that new model you have....All I own are Shimano's and President's, been lucky so far with them. I do know Shimano has terrific customer service, at least for me they did, maybe give them a call? Sorry I couldn't help, but you're not alone, I know that.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2015, 08:11 PM »
 Okay, take off the the adjustment knob, and the spool. On top of the spool will be a retaining pin and a metal washer. Take both off. Under that there will be a washer, the drag washer. Take it out and lightly rinse it off with some dish soap to remove the oil/grease. Dry completely with a towel. Now apply some very thin OIL. I OIL my drags, I don't grease them anymore. I like quantum hotsauce, it seems to be the best for cold weather. Now re-assemble that. On the adjustment knob there should be a spring. You can disassemble if you want, but I usually just put a drop of oil in the hole and shake it real hard to distribute. Now put it all back together and your drag should be as smooth as butter.

Its been a while since I took one apart, but I don't think the ci4 is a felt washer... but if it is then don't use the dish soap! Just use a paper towel and pressure to soak the oil out of it, then put 2-3 drops of quantum hot sauce on it. Felt drags sometimes get condensation in them and freeze in super cold weather. Best to leave those reels outside in a garage.

While you are at it, might as well drop a fresh drop of oil on the bearings as well.
EYECONICFISHING

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2015, 08:41 PM »
Thanks,
           I'll give that a try.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2015, 05:10 PM »
I havent had any problems with mine since new. I have the smallest one. But I dont use it for ice fishing. Thats one expensive ice reel!

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Live to fish
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2015, 03:25 PM »
Mine is the 3000 and I use it for open water and ice. Just trying to get my moneys worth !!
Its working again now. Thanks for the advice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.