Author Topic: The adventures of JOASMON, krappie_king and ??? 05/06 Update pg 2 bucket perch  (Read 5662 times)

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
First time pic poster and fairly new to the Ice Shanty. Now the season draws near I have to do a quick review to catch up! I will update more with what seems like little season is left! Here around our neck of the woods the ice is lacking. OK here goes!

In our quest for ice, krappie_king and I head 2hrs and 15mins. north to the St. Lawrence where we catch alot of dink perch. But both experience driving on ice for the first time! freaky  :)

Heres krappie_king fishing out of the car!

And the only other fish a small pike!

Lots of pike fisherman up there, a sea of tipups. New and different experiance! Now, on our couple of trips to Sodus early ice, myself, krappie_ king and  ??? got into a few slobs. Heres one.

krappie_king will be adding pics to this post or his that follow our season. Myself and  ??? head 50 miles south where we both catch a bunch of dink gills. But successfully catch my first brown through the ice and second. 12" and 14". Jack of all species, master of none. Add one to the list!

myself, krappie_king, and  ??? head 29 miles southeast. couple days fishin'. While I was tigermusky fishin' caught 11 green carp! jiggin and tipups. Heres a few.

Also managed to get some tigers 7 of them the bass gave em a chance. Finaly! A few of them, all small, still looking to catch the monster! :)

While I was catching green carp and tigers, krappie_king and  ??? had caught some tasty supprizes! :o

??? 11"

krappie_king 10" and 10.5" sorry krap you can post more of your pics! :)

I also hooked into two nice crappie lost them at the hole. >:( Sideways and caught in the transducer wire of the vex! Twice! Ever feel like chucking your vex across the ice, I HAVE!!! >:( >:( >:(

We all had caught a bunch of dink gills and perch, kept a few of the better ones!

Most recently myself and  ??? head 74 miles east for more new hard water. We both caught a bunch of dink perch! Dinks, dinks, dinks!!! But did'nt get skunked.  ??? caught a 9" walleye, Huge! I caught three chains, kept two.

3lb. chain

3.5lb. chain

Dinner!!! ;D

I'll have more later to update. Not much time left!  ??? is not on the Shanty yet, thats why his name is  ???. I could give him a name but I'll let him. He wouldn't like mine! LOL  ;D

Bart :)

JACK OF ALL SPECIES, MASTER OF NONE!

Offline krappie_king

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Crappie anyone?
Re: The adventures of JOASMON, krappie_king and ??? 05/06
« Reply #1 on: Mar 05, 2006, 09:19 AM »
I could think of a few names! ;D
Hello, you have reached John. I am currently fishing. Leave me a message and I will get back to you as soon as Ice fishing becomes an olympic sport.

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2006, 10:45 AM »
I could think of a few names! ;D
I'll suggest a few!  ;)

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #3 on: Mar 05, 2006, 12:33 PM »
nice fish
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #4 on: Mar 05, 2006, 12:54 PM »
nice fish
Thanks Pond, just wish there was more ice this year! Have to get the boat ready I guess. :(

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 05, 2006, 06:47 PM »
Looks like you had a decent year even for the lack of ice :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #6 on: Mar 05, 2006, 09:07 PM »
Looks like you had a decent year even for the lack of ice :)
Alot of little ones this year fishingking. I miss the slob perch! most of my perch waters didn't freeze! >:( that slob in the pic was one of few this year. Next season! :)

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #7 on: Mar 06, 2006, 07:25 AM »
That's alot of nice pictures!
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #8 on: Mar 06, 2006, 04:19 PM »
Nice ones.  When you hook a nice fish, even panfish yank the float or transducer out of the hole right after you hook the fish so they don't wrap you.  Never, never leave the ducer in the hole with a nice fish on.   ;)
Thanks slipbob, I'll try it. I got the vex fl-18 at the end of the season last year. No problem seeing fish and chasing etc. But i wonder about the noise the transducer makes scares the fish? I catch them still with or without, the old debate. I have to use it more often I guess. Most of the time I jig a little, see fish take trans. out shut off. you know theres fish why use it anymore. I also check my minnow depthes under my tipups. I'm just not a believer in that thing yet. Thanks for your input any more tips on the vex to make me a believer would be appreciated.

Thanks Bart :)

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #9 on: Mar 06, 2006, 04:28 PM »
That's alot of nice pictures!
Thanks adkroy, told ya had to catch up for the season! hope to have more pics before seasons end. not looking good.  :(

Offline Bartman44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 06, 2006, 04:37 PM »
Love the first pic. Drive through fishing!  :D

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2006, 06:49 AM »
Good season photos.
The largmouths on Otisco have been unrelenting this year, good to see you picked up a few tigers with them.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2006, 11:35 AM »
Good season photos.
The largmouths on Otisco have been unrelenting this year, good to see you picked up a few tigers with them.
Your right dogfish, I caught more bass than anything this year! Do you fish for tigers? I've heard of monsters in there. only seen a few nice ones so far.

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2006, 11:39 AM »
Love the first pic. Drive through fishing!  :D
I like that all your gear is right there! easy to get warm and listen to the tunes on the radio! it was cold 7 degrees frost still on the windows!

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2006, 12:36 PM »
Your right dogfish, I caught more bass than anything this year! Do you fish for tigers? I've heard of monsters in there. only seen a few nice ones so far.

Yes I icefish Otisco more than any other.  The past couple of years the Tiger size has been down.  An age class must have died off and we are waiting for the past couple of stockings to grow up.  Last year the fish all seemed to be 24 to 30 inches.  They are supposed to put on 10+ inches a year with a good food supply and Otisco has that.  I do not know why but nobody has caught any Tigers in the high 30's or low 40's this year?
Have seen them 25lbs plus dragged into derby weigh in's 3 and 4 years ago.  Awsome fish when they are that big.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
« Reply #15 on: Mar 07, 2006, 05:57 PM »
Yes I icefish Otisco more than any other.  The past couple of years the Tiger size has been down.  An age class must have died off and we are waiting for the past couple of stockings to grow up.  Last year the fish all seemed to be 24 to 30 inches.  They are supposed to put on 10+ inches a year with a good food supply and Otisco has that.  I do not know why but nobody has caught any Tigers in the high 30's or low 40's this year?
Have seen them 25lbs plus dragged into derby weigh in's 3 and 4 years ago.  Awsome fish when they are that big.
Haven't caught any keeper size yet all from 18"-27". I'll never keep any, just lookin for a good pic with a monster. catch and release on the tigers for me. My dads buddy caught a 28lb. I don't recall the length few years back.Was in the paper. I just started to fish for them end of last season. maybe see you out there. not many days left! It slowed down, went out yesterday no flags few keeper gills and of course bass! :) Thanks for the info.

Bart

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
Went out today and caught a few perch to include my biggest yet!
just short of 14".

13 7/8" slob, self portrait its hard to take a pic of yourself. arm ain't long enough! :)

and a few 9" and 10" they look small with that whopper next to them!

hitting  em tomarrow hope to get some more slobs. Finally some perch! ;D

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Nice slobbo perch!!!!  The 9 & 10's look like dwarfs compared to that monster!

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
Nice slobbo perch!!!!  The 9 & 10's look like dwarfs compared to that monster!
Thanks. I'd like a limit of those slobs! going out tomarrow. Won't be able to sleep, ::) dreamin about big slobs!                                       

Offline fishingking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Congrats on the slob looks like she's ready to pop :)
Loose Lips Sink Ships
50,232 Members and 50,232 Lurkers.
Ego's :nono:

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
Thats a great big fat perch.  Its looks like you are at sodus bay in NY.  Am a right....  If so when were you there.  I was there this weekend and did alright. Ill be posting pics tomorrow under Jiggermans 05-06 season. 

looks like you were near thrird creek on the north end. 

JiggerMan

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
just checked out the other pics on your thread.  is that otisco lake.  Looks like the panfish and crappies were back in the narrows and for the tigers it loks like you were in front of turtle cove. 

Nice fish.  I really wnated to get at those tigers but the choice was go for the slobs on sodus or the tigers on otisco. 

I opted for the slobs on sodus. 

Jiggerman

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
Went out again, started off good got some 10"er's right away then 11" a 9" etc. lasted about hour and then shut off. oh well.

Bucket O' Perch 8"-11" no slobs only 18 fish kept :(

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
Thats a great big fat perch.  Its looks like you are at sodus bay in NY.  Am a right....  If so when were you there.  I was there this weekend and did alright. Ill be posting pics tomorrow under Jiggermans 05-06 season. 

looks like you were near thrird creek on the north end. 

JiggerMan
JiggerMan, close enough! Bayside of Leroy Island for the perch! The tigers,bass,gills and crappies all in the same area between dam and the narrows. How have you been doing at Sodus? Any slobs for you? Last season you could go anywhere on that bay and catch limits of nice fish with some slobs mixed in. Lot of little ones this season. I only been there three times this season. Seems slow! Ice conditions haven't helped!

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
Congrats on the slob looks like she's ready to pop :)
Thanks fishingking, I want to get one mounted I think i'll wait for a 15"er may never happen we'll see! :-\

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Nothing wrong w/ 18 of em!  That's a nice bucket of fish - and should make a mighty fine couple of dinners ;).  Congrats on your outing!

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
Nothing wrong w/ 18 of em!  That's a nice bucket of fish - and should make a mighty fine couple of dinners ;).  Congrats on your outing!
Thanks waubay, they will taste great!

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
Myself, krappie-king, and  ??? went out in the boat yesterday only to get rained on and blown off the lake after 15 mins. Packed up and decided to hit a spot off shore. To our amazement there was ice! We only had our open water gear with us and the ice was only an inch to two inches thick. But there was holes drilled from days prior! Pitching pimples past the holes with or spinning rods. Dropping into the holes! Fish on!!!!!!!! I could not stop laughing it was great! ;D fishing from shore casting and pitching into holes on the ice! we caught aprox. 100 perch kept 25 8"-9" it was awesome, amazing and fun!

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
nice perch
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline JOASMON

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Slobs anyone?
Nice ones and you guys were casting into old holes and catching fish, that's too funny and can't say I've ever done it but I guess it's all good until you hook a BIG one :o
Your right slip if there was a big fish I don't know what we would have done. Belly crawled Maybe? It took me awhile to stop laughing. It was so fun!  ;D crazy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.