Author Topic: browns boat basin ice?  (Read 1558 times)

Offline snomaker321

• IceShanty Rookie
browns boat basin ice?
« on: Feb 05, 2008, 08:39 PM »
Does anyone know what the ice is like out by browns in meredith and around pine island. Can you get on the ice from there. Will mostly be fishing out there for the derby since we will be taying at my uncles place right up the street.

Offline snomaker321

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: browns boat basin ice?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2008, 04:09 PM »
Has anyone been out that way? Any ice conditions for anyhere else in the area like pine island, loon island, bear island, black cove, cattle landing?

Offline cSpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2008, 04:14 PM »
Has anyone been out that way? Any ice conditions for anyhere else in the area like pine island, loon island, bear island, black cove, cattle landing?

I just heard today that cattle landing has a pretty good pressure ridge near it. not sure what direction as it just came up in general pressure ridge conversation. I'd imagine there to be 6-8" of ice in that area. Thats what we had around three mile two weeks ago and that is in the same general area.

Spike
Traps? Who needs traps? I have a jig rod and a Vexilar!
gallery

Offline snomaker321

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2008, 04:22 PM »
6"-8" of crap white ice or of nice black ice?

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 06, 2008, 05:45 PM »
 crap ice and the pressure ridge isn't all that big it truns from the north end of bear Island towards shore. You can put on at cattle landing and theres a small parking lot that the town pushed back today.
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline snomaker321

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 06, 2008, 06:07 PM »
wait the pressure ridge is running from the north end of bear island to cattle landing? :-\ thats seem kinda far, over a mile and would have to be running pretty much vertically. Did you fish fish there today. We fished around there last year for the derby for rainbous but only managed a nice salmon, ste free obviously, and a monster bass that we didn't even know we had until we pulled up the line to leave. so would you say the ice around there should be safe for the weekend?

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 06, 2008, 08:25 PM »
I have not fished it this year but I saw the small ridge when I went out there today. Some one that works with me said there is 8-9 " of ice this past weekend.  CORRECTION : The Island runs east to west and the ridge is at the east end  of bear Island to shore .
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline snomaker321

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 06, 2008, 08:42 PM »
Thanks for the info. It looks as though the ice should be fine up there. I would still like some info of the ice at around pine island and at browns, especially getting on the ice there. The access is between docks so it gets kinda iffy sometimes. One year we were there and we got a pic of a pickup that went through trying to get off the ice. It was sitting there with the front down in the ice, with the windshield wipers on, and right behind it was a thin ice sign ::).

Offline snomaker321

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2008, 06:17 PM »
I'm finding it hard to believe that no one has been there. I know there are usually quite a few people who park there and access the water there. I am getting a little nervous about what the ice is like getting on especially since an atv went through in meredith bay today. Any reports for the area are greatly appreciated.

Offline fishnchuck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2008, 06:24 PM »
i talked to a friend of mine who was behind Bear island today , 10" of ice and hard going for the four wheelers because of the snow and slush..snowmobiles is the way to go for easy mobility. he didnt mention any pressure ridges though.

Offline snomaker321

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2008, 06:31 PM »
Do you think the sluch will freeze since its supposed to get colder now. we will most likely be on foot with maybe 1 snowmobile to haul out the gear. where behind bear island was he since it is a pretty big island and was it white ice, black ice, or a combination of both. also how much snow was on the ice and where did he get on the ice?  thanks

Offline bluecaddisfly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TIGHT LINES AND SMOOTH DRAGS
« Reply #11 on: Feb 07, 2008, 06:54 PM »
wheelers will probably be ok after all the sleds get out and pack some trails down. the slush won't freeze 'til after this weekend if at all.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.