Author Topic: Dropper Flies  (Read 3514 times)

Offline Mikey B

• IceShanty Rookie
Dropper Flies
« on: Dec 05, 2006, 08:49 AM »
Anybody still use this old trick ? First time i read about it was in Outdoor Life, like 10 years ago.
Have used it some, and it does work, when times are tough, and the fish get pickey.

For those that still use it, what kind of flies do you use and what size ?    THANKS Mike

Offline crappiekid24

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Dropper Flies
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2006, 05:11 PM »
I like black spiders or ants. You can buy the foam bodies any place they sell fly tying stuff.

Offline Chuckles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2006, 06:47 PM »
Mikey B.....Any wet fly , nymph, or scud will do you well. The smaller the better...sometimes.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2006, 10:05 PM »
I (where allowed) never send down 1 hook. Since i started doing it, 80% of the fish i get are on the dropper. Here's the lure, take a # 16 or 18 dry fly hook and bend the eye 90 degrees up. then take some .35 lead wire and add to the shank. then paint black. fingernail polish wks great. hang about 4-6" below jig and slap a spike on it. It is small and heavy so it doesn,t foul up. Its deadly!!   
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Mikey B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2006, 08:29 AM »
I (where allowed) never send down 1 hook. Since i started doing it, 80% of the fish i get are on the dropper. Here's the lure, take a # 16 or 18 dry fly hook and bend the eye 90 degrees up. then take some .35 lead wire and add to the shank. then paint black. fingernail polish wks great. hang about 4-6" below jig and slap a spike on it. It is small and heavy so it doesn,t foul up. Its deadly!!   

16 or 18, dang that is SMALL, you must use a microscope, to thread the eye. I have used a 12 or 14 black nymph and black does seem to be the best color.
I have allways tied mine in above the teardrop so in doesn't tangle, you have any trouble with it tangleing the way you tie it on ?

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2006, 10:42 PM »
Since the botom fly is smaller and heavy they sink at the same rate.any dropperw/over 8" will foul but 6 works well. The bottom fly when formed has enough weight that if it is lifted my spring bobber will go up...then whack!!!!!   2# vanish works well and yes its tiny but its deadly. Just make sure you got your hemos handy. One half hearted suck and its in their gullet. You would also think the dinks would drive you nuts but the double rig kinda scares 'em. watch'em on the aqua vue and they just aren't sure what to think.

Offline Mikey B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2006, 08:37 AM »
Since the botom fly is smaller and heavy they sink at the same rate.any dropperw/over 8" will foul but 6 works well. The bottom fly when formed has enough weight that if it is lifted my spring bobber will go up...then whack!!!!!   2# vanish works well and yes its tiny but its deadly. Just make sure you got your hemos handy. One half hearted suck and its in their gullet. You would also think the dinks would drive you nuts but the double rig kinda scares 'em. watch'em on the aqua vue and they just aren't sure what to think.

Will give this a try if we ever get any ice, here in Ohio, from the way the weather report looks i don't look for much, if we do get some, some of the ponds have skim ice right know, but weatherman calls for 50 to 55 this week with a chance of rain.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2006, 08:41 AM »
I have experimented with wooly worms and wooly buggers for droppers. They seem to produce very well for perch.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2006, 09:20 PM »
My thoughts are simple on a dropper. ever go out and eat so much you have to loosen your belt and swear you can't eat another bite. Then on the way out grab two of those little mints.Larger flies require more active fish. I use a dropper to catch those that wont take the main fly...but eat the mint.

Offline icebucketjohn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 25, 2007, 05:54 AM »
I use the dropper set up all the time along with a "no-knot"/easy snap set up.  It works well when fish are stratified or moving up and down the water column.
Ice-Fisherman: We're all highly addicted, shivering, psychotic patients in the asylum of the frigid.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.