Author Topic: Mini Nero auger first impressions  (Read 12331 times)

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Mini Nero auger first impressions
« Reply #30 on: Dec 07, 2018, 02:05 PM »
What is your thoughts on the blade covers for these? I haven't gotten mine yet but looking at pictures, its just two small individual covers, I can see a cut finger coming...I'm also worried about the blades icing up and not being able to get the covers on? :tipup:

Was out last night checking conditions, bouncing pond to pond poking holes to check thickness and I gotta say the Auger it self is excellent but that blade cover is 18 stitches waiting to happen, ended up tossing the cover in the truck and putting a winter hat over the end of the auger for transport pond to pond till I got home... Now my spare Eskimo blade cover is happy on the Nero...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 07, 2018, 11:16 PM »

This might be an option for for a Nero. Made from PVC..

<°)))>{

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Dec 08, 2018, 06:36 AM »
How much $ for one?
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 08, 2018, 12:47 PM »
How much $ for one?

The cover?

Pretty sure it costs less than $5 to make, I already had the tube piece..

<°)))>{

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 08, 2018, 01:35 PM »
To bad cold snap doesn't make something close to this.

Offline Jigalow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2018, 07:30 PM »
For those who have your Nero mounted to a drill, does it spin true? I used mine for the first time today, and it seems to have a lot of wobble.

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 08, 2018, 07:33 PM »
I run mine under a Clam plate and yes it wobbles but so did my LazerMag and my Nils. Once it bites into the ice the wobble goes away.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 09, 2018, 03:45 PM »
In talking to a tech at HT, the wobble is normal. He also suggests starting the first few turns slowly until the blades bite before you put the juice to it. As far as the blade covers, I don’t see much difference from those on my Nils or Strikelite other than they are 2-pieces instead of one. It’s all in what you’re used to. I always cover them when not in use. Common sense in my opinion.
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 09, 2018, 04:56 PM »
Just tried it out. Fast as .... well, you know. And extremely light and portable. I can see that we will get along just fine. :)
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #39 on: Dec 09, 2018, 04:58 PM »
Just tried it out. Fast as .... well, you know. And extremely light and portable. I can see that we will get along just fine. :)

<===Lefty===

Offline Bacardi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 09, 2018, 05:20 PM »
Well with all this talk I took the plunge bought a mini nero should be on my step tommorow. While I was at It figured I needed to get that 1,300 torque Ridgid drill. Buy the 9ah battery with charger get the drill free 202.47 tax and shipping. Will be here Friday.  Sunday plan on hitting lake milacs to give it a try. Hopefully I will have a few augers up for sale if I like the setup.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Dec 09, 2018, 05:27 PM »
Well with all this talk I took the plunge bought a mini nero should be on my step tommorow. While I was at It figured I needed to get that 1,300 torque Ridgid drill. Buy the 9ah battery with charger get the drill free 202.47 tax and shipping. Will be here Friday.  Sunday plan on hitting lake milacs to give it a try. Hopefully I will have a few augers up for sale if I like the setup.
Just be sure to remove the Nero Handle and just use the Drills handle. I made a sleeve to go over mine so it won't far in the hole. It is a piece of Truck bed liner. A good hard Frisbee would work. Just pull the shaft out put it on and put the shaft back on.

<===Lefty===

Offline Bacardi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Dec 09, 2018, 05:57 PM »
Why not use the handle with it? Is there issues? I could see it not really helping your wrist if catches funny or something.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Dec 09, 2018, 08:47 PM »
Why not use the handle with it? Is there issues? I could see it not really helping your wrist if catches funny or something.
Right it wont help you if the auger catches. And with 1300"#'s of Torque you can rip your arm off.
<===Lefty===

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #44 on: Dec 09, 2018, 09:03 PM »
Man. Scheels had 2 Nero auger kits in at $99 7in augers......almost bought one but held back.

Offline mistertwister

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 10, 2018, 03:32 PM »
Just got mine in today, looks nice. I thought the blade covers literally just covered the blades...thats what I saw from pictures. Not sure I love the cover design, but it's way better than I anticipated. I think this will be a nice set up with a rigid!

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 10, 2018, 03:46 PM »
Just be sure to remove the Nero Handle and just use the Drills handle. I made a sleeve to go over mine so it won't far in the hole. It is a piece of Truck bed liner. A good hard Frisbee would work. Just pull the shaft out put it on and put the shaft back on.

I was just going to let that extra handle fly around in circles lol.

I got with mine for the first time yesterday and it was pretty nice, no down force needed, breaking through was pretty rough though. Kind of had to slam it down to knock that last chunk of ice off the bottom of the hole, or spin the auger backwards to get it out.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #47 on: Dec 10, 2018, 06:21 PM »
I lift mine up and then hold back on it and then drill down again. It usually gets that chunk out.
<===Lefty===

Offline DrewFlu33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 11, 2018, 01:56 PM »
I’ve recently sold the ice gator and am now deep into the drill process. Just bought the Ridgid and am debating on bits. This looks like a good possibility!

One question that hopefully helps contribute to the conversation here: anyone try “Mickey mouse” holes with one?  Wanting to get after sturgeon this winter and that is a must to get those behemoths through the ice....

Related I suppose would be asking how they are for reopening holes.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 11, 2018, 02:04 PM »
I’ve recently sold the ice gator and am now deep into the drill process. Just bought the Ridgid and am debating on bits. This looks like a good possibility!

One question that hopefully helps contribute to the conversation here: anyone try “Mickey mouse” holes with one?  Wanting to get after sturgeon this winter and that is a must to get those behemoths through the ice....

Related I suppose would be asking how they are for reopening holes.

You want a chipper blade for that, the nero might do it, but a K drill will do it a lot better.

Offline DrewFlu33

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Dec 11, 2018, 03:44 PM »
You want a chipper blade for that, the nero might do it, but a K drill will do it a lot better.

That's good advice...trying to avoid paying for the K-Drill when I've not been all that impressed with the ones I've been around.  I suppose that's a byproduct of the chipper blades vs shaver blades though.

I have been doing it with a Lazer bit that I had on my Ice Gator and it worked great for that, but having the centering point on it I think was a really big deal for making it work. 

Offline Philip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 11, 2018, 03:49 PM »
Used her for the first time last night.

Very sharp- cuts through the ice a little to fast and leaves very jagged edges that are hard to pull the auger out of. Slowing down and focusing on not putting any pressure on top seemed to help, also I think this will improve once I get use to the offset handles. Bashing the hole with the auger flights to get it out always worries me.
Team Comfy Skunks

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Dec 11, 2018, 03:55 PM »
That's good advice...trying to avoid paying for the K-Drill when I've not been all that impressed with the ones I've been around.  I suppose that's a byproduct of the chipper blades vs shaver blades though.

I have been doing it with a Lazer bit that I had on my Ice Gator and it worked great for that, but having the centering point on it I think was a really big deal for making it work.

Maybe you can get the same bit that you had? Unless it was a 10" the drill might work.  Another option is nils with a center point but that is just as pricey as a k.  I'd try it for you with my nero but don't have spare blades yet and don't want to bang them up if I don't have to.

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Dec 11, 2018, 03:59 PM »
This was my first day out with the k drill in 2016, I didn’t need a big hole at the time but had to try it lol

Offline knotcase

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Dec 11, 2018, 04:20 PM »
I've used my Nero in combination with Milwaukee F18 Fuel for the full 2017-18 season and I couldn't be happier. I also have a Nils but I'm tired of its finicky nature. There is a good reason why ice fishermen in Russia need compact size and light weight. They've "trolled the ice" way before the term had been invented here (as some people claim). I grew up in Russia and I know because my dad is an ice fishermen. It's moving and drilling all day long to chase those schools of fish. He had the same old auger all his life and never complained about it. An occasional blade sharpening - that's all it ever needed. That's why I bought that Nero as soon as I saw that video. It's no frills but it does the job very reliably. And let's not forget, the pair of blades is only $13 shipped! Compare that to Nils head sharpening at $60 - $70 depending on your shipping. I also liked the ease and flexibility of converting from hand to drill with the drill handle already in place that is also your insurance from loosing your auger down the whole if it detaches. Run out of juice? No problem, just convert to hand no tools needed! Love the thought they've put into it. Looking forward to 2018 - 19 season! BTW... after the whole season, no blade replacement is needed, the original blades are still in business. 

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Dec 12, 2018, 08:45 AM »
I've used my Nero in combination with Milwaukee F18 Fuel for the full 2017-18 season and I couldn't be happier. I also have a Nils but I'm tired of its finicky nature. There is a good reason why ice fishermen in Russia need compact size and light weight. They've "trolled the ice" way before the term had been invented here (as some people claim). I grew up in Russia and I know because my dad is an ice fishermen. It's moving and drilling all day long to chase those schools of fish. He had the same old auger all his life and never complained about it. An occasional blade sharpening - that's all it ever needed. That's why I bought that Nero as soon as I saw that video. It's no frills but it does the job very reliably. And let's not forget, the pair of blades is only $13 shipped! Compare that to Nils head sharpening at $60 - $70 depending on your shipping. I also liked the ease and flexibility of converting from hand to drill with the drill handle already in place that is also your insurance from loosing your auger down the whole if it detaches. Run out of juice? No problem, just convert to hand no tools needed! Love the thought they've put into it. Looking forward to 2018 - 19 season! BTW... after the whole season, no blade replacement is needed, the original blades are still in business.

Except that they can't be found right now, the only ones I see are 18 on ebay + 10 for shipping.

Offline knotcase

• IceShanty Rookie

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:33 AM »
yes, it became a hot item but you can pre-order:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/nero-folding-7-hand-ice-auger-with-drill-adapter-and-extension?a=2157724

I already have the auger, just can't seem to find a spare set of blades without the price jacked up to double what it is supposed to be.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #58 on: Dec 12, 2018, 09:44 AM »
I already have the auger, just can't seem to find a spare set of blades without the price jacked up to double what it is supposed to be.
Try Cabelas web site. I also was in a Cabelas last week and saw some there.
<===Lefty===

Offline NateD

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Dec 12, 2018, 10:20 AM »
Try Cabelas web site. I also was in a Cabelas last week and saw some there.

Thanks man, Cabelas doesn't have HT Mini in the name they just call them nero augers so maybe that is why it didn't show up when I was searching last night.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.