Author Topic: Using a Dolly on ground with no snow.  (Read 1102 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Using a Dolly on ground with no snow.
« on: Dec 13, 2017, 06:35 AM »
I have a two wheel dolly for moving things around. I plan on putting 2 cross pieces on it with 2x4's for stability of my Cabela's sled, and then attach a handle at the end to lift one end. Anyone do something like this before and if so how did you make the handle?  I also might try just adding one wheel to the front of it.
<===Lefty===

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Using a Dolly on ground with no snow.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2017, 06:50 AM »
LOL! I have a 4 wheeled moving dolly I got at Harbor Freight real cheap this summer. Put 4 eye hooks (2 on each side) and use a bungie to hold the sled on it like I do with my smitty sled. Just run one bungie from the left side of the dolly up and over the front of the sled to the other side and the same in the back.

I considered fixing wheels to the sled somehow, but I decided the dolly was the way to go since I did not have to mount any hardware to the sled this way.
Where's the FISH?!

Offline chilly-willy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2017, 07:52 AM »
Sounds like the pier cart I weld up for a buddy ..

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2017, 12:30 PM »
Should be worth a try, Lefty --- I tried a similar thing for a while, with a two-wheel dolly, but lifting one end got annoying over long distances. Everything kept sliding back, and it kept bumping into my heels as I walked.  Also, the wheels on my dolly weren't the best, so they were getting stuck in rocks/gravel.  I would definitely add another wheel, and a good handle.

I got one of these for making long hauls in areas without snow:

It's a Gorilla Cart from Home Depot -- I pop my sled on top, a few bungies, and it's good to go. I like the big wheels for rolling over rough terrain, and it works quite will on the ice/slush, too.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2017, 12:42 PM »
Well I mounted 2 Cross pieces on my Hand truck and strapped everything down. I think this is going to work for me.  Mine has big wheels on it. The sled is 48" and the hand truck is 49.5".

<===Lefty===

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2017, 12:54 PM »
Looks good Lefty, let us know how it works after you get a chance to use it some.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2017, 01:05 PM »
Will be using it tomorrow. I moved everything around in my gravel driveway and it seems to work good. I most likely won't be going more than 1/8 mile with it and once on the ice I think I can flip it over on top the gear and strap it down.  All we have around here is ice. No snow at all.  SO everything should be good pulling it across the ice.
<===Lefty===

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2017, 01:17 PM »
should work ok for short distances but I know from experience it will eventually wear on your shoulders...

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2017, 01:52 PM »
I figure I wont have any trouble going down a hill. So what I did is put a cross bar on the top so when I go back up the wife can hold on one side and me on the other. Should be fine that way. I won't ever have to worry about this when I go by my self. I will lighten the load a lot without the tent,heater extra chair,rods, rod holders and such when she goes. Wont be any problem then.
<===Lefty===

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2017, 03:00 PM »
Looks good --- let us know how it works!!  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

CowDawg

« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2017, 09:57 PM »
This is my new setup for this season without any snow or those long dry drags. The wheels are removable too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.