Author Topic: Vexilar Choices  (Read 758 times)

Offline Snoops77

• IceShanty Rookie
Vexilar Choices
« on: Feb 03, 2017, 09:33 AM »
First off thanks so much for having this board.

I'm going to take the leap into getting a Vexilar after reading the difference it makes and wondered which would be the best bang for the buck. I am really trying to stay between 300-400. I was looking at the FL-8, 12 and 18 models and wanted to get suggestions from all of you since you use them. I plan on doing some fishing on Winni for white perch, crappie  and maybe Lakers with this technology. i also fish some shallower warm water lakes and ponds. 

Also a question as some as listed as ice-transducers and some are not.

Thanks for your time and help in this area. I will start posting once I get out on the ice.

Steve

Offline MFallon

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Vexilar Choices
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:30 AM »
My first was FL12 and then I picked up an FL20 when it became clear that my girlfriend was not going to let me use the FL12 : )
I like the FL20 a lot more for deeper water because of the bottom zoom feature, I do 90% of my fishing in 12ft bottom zoom mode and like having it oriented top to bottom also makes it quicker setting tip ups with it, etc. They both work awesome. If you're primarily fishing in less then 20ft of water, then there's not a big need for the zoom, but if you're getting into lakers and fishing deeper, it's nice to have!

The FL18 is a good compromise, I believe it has the 6' bottom zoom which is nice for perch. For crappie and lakers which can come off the bottom a little ways, the 12' is really nice to have.

Offline Snoops77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2017, 10:43 AM »
You are a funny guy .. Hope it has worked out well with you and the FL20 ;) Thanks for your input.

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2017, 12:39 PM »
I have an FL18 and FL20.   Lately Ive used the FL18 because I've only been jigging yellow perch.  pretty close to the FL20 bug a little smaller screen.   I still have my old FL8 but I only use it when I'm jigging for suspended crappie in less than 30 ft. of water.
Make sure you get the ice ducer unless you want to use it in the boat for summer? 
Dick

Offline Snoops77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2017, 12:52 PM »
Thanks very much. I updated my profile..Any of you feel free to message if you need/want a fishing partner ..Look forward to meeting some of you on the ice over time.

Offline Snoops77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2017, 01:00 PM »
Hi Dick Thank you. I am hoping to use it for both so does that mean I will need two different transducers?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2017, 01:10 PM »
Hi Dick Thank you. I am hoping to use it for both so does that mean I will need two different transducers?

The 12 deg transducer will fill a multitude of situations ...kinda a best of both worlds Shallow/Deep . I have a FL18 w/TriBeam and a FL12 w/12 deg....if you can swing for an FL18 then that would be my recommendation...pair that with a 12 deg and pretty much set for life ...my 18 was bought it 2003 ...so built to last ...I upgraded the FL18 several years ago w/Tribeam new Ultra pack ...light.. rod holder..transducer arm ...the left over parts are whats in the FL12 set up .

reconditioned units are also an option

https://shop.vexilar.com/en/reconditioned-products-1
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline MFallon

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2017, 01:26 PM »
I have 12 degree ducers on both of mine and they work great.

Offline Snoops77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2017, 01:27 PM »
Thanks hard water...I think I will pay the extra to gat an 18 ...Just the info I was looking for Best of luck..

Offline celtbass

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2017, 05:16 PM »
Marcum LX5 is the best vexilar you can buy!   Hehehe  ;D
Let it freeze

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.