Author Topic: How do you hook your bait?  (Read 1456 times)

Offline Meppsfan

• IceShanty Rookie
How do you hook your bait?
« on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:20 PM »
First off I'm home with a back injury in case any of you are wondering why the hell I'm on here so much...booooored/addicted to ice fishing! I like to hook my shiners through the back, behind the fin with eagle claws laser sharps. I used to hook them through the mouth but find that they don't always swim right when they get tired. I've had good luck in recent years with the red hooks, probably looks like blood to the fish, maybe. I usually use a small egg sinker to get him down. I here a lot of guys don't use any weight? Like in one of my earlier posts I will try a free sliding egg sinker "fish finder rig" this season. Also I ordered the troutberry press. I don't know if you have seen it but it's cheap and looks like a great tool to put in the tackle box check it out here.. http://www.troutberry.com/
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the ice like an idiot.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How do you hook your bait?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2009, 11:51 AM »
I hook my bait in front of the dorsal using a size 8 gamakatsu octopus hook with no weights.

as far as using the troutberry press, i think its easier just using power eggs unless the trout are biting on a specific color of power bait that dont come in egg form.
JMHO

james

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2009, 01:14 PM »
Right in front of the dorsal. Hook size varies. Bigger for lakers and warm water, smaller for just trout, and large singles or quick strikes for pike. Another rig I had good luck with was a steel leader that had a single hook in the front and a treble in the back (trebles/quickstrike in VT only) for pike. I love octopus hooks but not the circle hooks, I can't catch anything on the circle hooks....

Offline shadfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2009, 08:54 AM »
Through the mouth. I believe bass always eat there prey mouth first. I think ???

Offline ADK NH GUY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2009, 03:44 PM »
First off I'm home with a back injury in case any of you are wondering why the hell I'm on here so much...booooored/addicted to ice fishing! I like to hook my shiners through the back, behind the fin with eagle claws laser sharps. I used to hook them through the mouth but find that they don't always swim right when they get tired. I've had good luck in recent years with the red hooks, probably looks like blood to the fish, maybe. I usually use a small egg sinker to get him down. I here a lot of guys don't use any weight? Like in one of my earlier posts I will try a free sliding egg sinker "fish finder rig" this season. Also I ordered the troutberry press. I don't know if you have seen it but it's cheap and looks like a great tool to put in the tackle box check it out here.. http://www.troutberry.com/
I use the bright yellow #8 hooks Gamakatsu Octopus same as James.  I done use circle hooks either because I can't catch anything with them.  Red hooks are good because red I believe is the 1st color in the spectrum and therefore the 1st to dissappear under water?  Mike sorry to hear about your back man.  Better fix that before hard water season starts.  I am planning on fishing as many days as I can this winter.
A mans Shanty is his Castle

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2009, 04:22 PM »
Through the mouth. I believe bass always eat there prey mouth first. I think ???
i think pike like to get them head first and i would bet a bass has taken a bait fish head first as well........however, i like to mix it up.......my bigger shiners 5 to 7 inches or suckers i go through the mouth, because it will not set off the trap as often....the smallers ones i hook through the back.....better action....its a preference though....atleast for the strictly business crew......who is ready to get going
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline shadfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 02, 2009, 05:46 PM »
i think pike like to get them head first and i would bet a bass has taken a bait fish head first as well........however, i like to mix it up.......my bigger shiners 5 to 7 inches or suckers i go through the mouth, because it will not set off the trap as often....the smallers ones i hook through the back.....better action....its a preference though....atleast for the strictly business crew......who is ready to get going

You fish for pike locally ? For the smaller ones they way you hook them would good for trout I would think. I'm going to try both ways this year.

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 02, 2009, 07:06 PM »

Hey Jibbs, 

How've ya been? Lookin' forward to getting out with the "SB Crew" again this season ;) and another one of those 100+ fish days...I'd also like to be there to take the photo of ya with the 8 lber+ you've been lookin' for!  ;D

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #8 on: Nov 04, 2009, 10:29 AM »
Hey Jibbs, 

How've ya been? Lookin' forward to getting out with the "SB Crew" again this season ;) and another one of those 100+ fish days...I'd also like to be there to take the photo of ya with the 8 lber+ you've been lookin' for!  ;D
things have been good....been hunting patridge and doing a little bass fishing....nothing worth putting up though for pics.....it will not be long for a 100 fish day.....the place freezes pretty early in the season....hope to have the strictly business get together this season......will probably wait until february vacation instead of christmas break....however, we will be up there for christmas again.....we will have to get a hold of knurren.....see if he can best his biggest bass....last time he had  his biggest of all time in what?.......20 minutes......as for the picture of the 8.....i hope so....plan on doing some of the same lakes, but have a few hidden gems i want to try out......see you on the hard water kid!!!!!!
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.