Author Topic: Industrial grade shack  (Read 22070 times)

Offline propaganda

• IceShanty Rookie
Industrial grade shack
« on: Nov 07, 2011, 03:05 PM »
Long time here lurking, wanted to share some of my shack build this winter. I own a company that builds custom buildings for oil and gas industry in Canada, and thought what if I took some of the materials to build a shack, so started with all aluminum frame and skid, I thought of doing it on flip down axle but way too much snow up here to pull a trailer around, so did 6 inch wide skis with puckboard skin, fold up and down removable tow hitch. Building is double clad aluminum insulated to R12 and floor is R12 as well. Put in loft and cast iron wood stove, commercial grade carpet, RV smoked sliding windows, some cabinets. Still need to finish the maple shelves and custom fold out benches and cushions, corner jacks and put in the catch cover holes. Also 120 VAC and 12 v wiring, TV and sound system hope to have it ready by freezup. It's super light and super tough should get a lifetime out of it.

Offline Santo180

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Industrial grade shack
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2011, 03:11 PM »
That is one sweet looking shack.  Hope to see some pictures once you get it on the ice.

Offline NanookofN-MN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2011, 03:14 PM »
I am thinking you might have found a new side business.
I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do. – Izaak Walton

surflizard

« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2011, 03:14 PM »
WOW, That is as nice if not nicer then the commercially available fishing trailers on the market today ! Fantastic Job !!

Offline WalleyeHunter84

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " Flag Down "
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2011, 03:16 PM »
All you need now is DirecTV hooked up
"The Dirty Andy"

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2011, 03:26 PM »
Don't think you missed anything. Awesome build man! ;D
Fish on!

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2011, 03:30 PM »
Nice job that thing is sweet. How big is it?

Offline nonamer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2011, 03:48 PM »
a lot of very good craftsmanship there. nice to have the talent to do such a nice job.

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2011, 04:48 PM »
Very IMPRESSIVE WOW!!!  ;D You're a true craftsman

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2011, 04:57 PM »
awsome job nice going

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2011, 05:12 PM »
Very cool, great craftsmanship and attention to detail.  :tipup:

Its actually very similar to the 8x12 im currently building though I decided to frame mine with wood(as im just learning how to weld aluminium) but its pretty much the exact same concept/style.. right down to the loft and diamond plate behind the stove.

Who do you work for in alberta? I work for a CNC/fabrication shop out of Regina.

Cheers

Layne
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline propaganda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2011, 05:14 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback everyone.

Nice job that thing is sweet. How big is it?

The unit is 8 x 12 with 8 foot walls and a 4:12 pitch roof, there is lots of vertical space and the loft is 40" wide. The foldout benches will go 40" wide as well so it will sleep 3 comfortably. Generally when we go out we like to stay on the lake for a couple days because it's usually a long trip to get to some of the better lakes in Northern Alberta.  The ski width is set so it fits on a standard car hauler and I pulled it around a bit on my 20' deck trailer with no issues so will try it on a 14' car hauler. The corner jacks will be good to jack it up on the lake and block the skis up so it doesn't freeze in. Also going to do a fold up table on the back outside for cleaning fish or putting stuff on when it's warm and a guy wants to fish outside. I don't even want to say what it cost to build but the way I see it it will last me a long time and I will get more use of it than the $40000 I spent on a crappy paper walled holiday trailer that sits in my yard most the summer  :-\

Who do you work for in alberta?

@Layne I own the company and we build specialty buildings much like you see on well sites for separators and motor buildings.

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 07, 2011, 05:16 PM »
Totally awesome. I'm jealous.

Offline TJR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2011, 05:30 PM »
 very nice :o :o :o

surflizard

« Reply #14 on: Nov 07, 2011, 05:52 PM »
We got so excited lookin at the cool shack, we plumb forgot to Welcome ya to the shanty propaganda, glad to have ya aboard ! Have you got a finished weight you can share with us ?

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 07, 2011, 05:53 PM »
That thing is AWSOME!! What size sq. tube did you use? Also, approx what was the finished weight? (without the stove)
Nick.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline Big Fortin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 07, 2011, 07:52 PM »
Nice job

Offline propaganda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 08, 2011, 12:05 AM »
I estimate the finished weight at 1300 lbs with the stove and jacks. The tubing size is 2".

surflizard

« Reply #18 on: Nov 08, 2011, 07:27 AM »
Hypothetically speaking of course, what would some one have to get for a unit like this to make it worth while for them ?  :whistle:

rickl1968

« Reply #19 on: Nov 08, 2011, 08:03 AM »
Welcome to the sit Propaganda

Beautiful shack! well done.  :thumbsup:

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #20 on: Nov 08, 2011, 08:10 AM »
So what do you get for rent on that fortress I could move right into that for the winter.  :woot:

Offline propaganda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 08, 2011, 10:29 AM »
So what do you get for rent on that fortress I could move right into that for the winter.  :woot:

If you get out to Alberta Cat let me know I will give you the combo and coordinates go ahead and help yourself but any stays longer than 3 days will get eviction notice  ;)

I got the stereo and TV in, the stereo is a dvd and ipod multi function thing, I will wire the video out to tv so it can play dvd's and the speakers are Exile marine they sound pretty decent. The TV is 1080p 24". Also had the corner jacks come in.

surflizard

« Reply #22 on: Nov 08, 2011, 12:43 PM »
Damn Prop, that is gonna be one Premo Shack ! :thumbsup: :clap:

Offline androwildfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 08, 2011, 05:44 PM »
I like where your going with this I have a satellite dish on mine and all I need is to find a quite generator to run it. Also I'm looking to run LED lights in my shack any ideas on this?

Offline propaganda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 08, 2011, 09:40 PM »
Quiet inverter genset should go atleat 1600 watts, can get some pretty inexpensive ones. As far as LED's there are 2 ways to do this. You can run straight 120 VAC LED's off a genset or the better way is to run as much as you can off of 12V, use 2 6V batteries in series, then a charge converter off the genset, like they do in some RV's. That way while the genset runs the batteries are charging. You can further tie in a small solar panel to trickle charge and prevent battery freezing or a larger solar panel system to power the unit. In fact a large solar system with 120 VAC inverter can run a small TV and reciever. I mean a guy can get pretty high end on that but it get's expensive. Then there's small wind turbines as well, which I am looking at. Again it gets pretty expensive. In my opinion the best policy is run as much as you can off 12V and charge convert. Then in the evenings if you sleep in your shack you can shut the genset down, even if you run a propane forced air furnace.

Offline snowman6902

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 08, 2011, 09:47 PM »
Wow! Great setup propaganda

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 08, 2011, 09:55 PM »
We put men on the moon and they didn't have the half the technology as you have in this shack.

Actually I don't think the word shack could be used when referring to your build.
It's anything but a shack

Offline propaganda

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 08, 2011, 10:24 PM »
Force of habit lightningz, "shack" is the common term in Alberta. "Hey you get your shack out yet" or "did so and so get their shack finished". And no one says "what shack", everyone knows it refers to an ice house lol.

Well if I don't get it out much can always stay in there if the wife boots me out I suppose can just burn old pallets laying around the yard to keep warm  ;D

Offline androwildfire

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 09, 2011, 12:40 AM »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
We put men on the moon and they didn't have the half the technology as you have in this shack.

Actually I don't think the word shack could be used when referring to your build.
It's anything but a shack

Well put!! I agree!

surflizard

« Reply #29 on: Nov 09, 2011, 06:47 AM »
If my lottery Ticket ship ever comes in, I'm on the next flight to Alberta to get me one of these Units !! :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.