The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fish taxidermy  (Read 1530 times)

Offline fishbbc

• IceShanty Rookie
Fish taxidermy
« on: Feb 19, 2018, 11:28 AM »
Who do you think does the best job on fish in the Chittenden county area?

Offline perch bait

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lil' Crayfish
Re: Fish taxidermy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2018, 12:21 PM »
Doug Yasner of Yasner Taxidermy mounted my 10 inch pumpkinseed a couple years ago and it turned out excellent. I would highly recommend him. He is located on North Avenue in Burlington. Check him out.
Perch bait- a small minnow that can have big results in the ice fishing game.  :icefish:
My Blog: https://jacobcrawford8.wixsite.com/pboutdooradventure

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2018, 12:31 PM »
Doug yasner hands down. Mounted a 26” rainbow for me almost 10 years ago. It had sat in my freezer improperly stored for about 6 years. He said it was one of the hardest he had done due to the conduction of the skin. It came out beautifully. His prices are a little under most other people too. He absolutely loves doing fish. His deer mounts are also very nice
tel:8028629043

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2018, 05:49 PM »
What are you going to mount?

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2018, 06:47 PM »
yasner does a nice job. he's done 2 for me.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline fishbbc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 20, 2018, 08:36 AM »
I have heard he does a good job but wanted to see what other people thought. My son caught a 15", 1.5 pound perch and we want to get that mounted. Beautiful fish.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2018, 09:16 AM »
Awesome!! Out of Caspian, by any chance? 

Offline fishbbc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 20, 2018, 09:40 AM »
No, but that would have been my first guess too!

Offline Hardwater Renegade

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:01 AM »
Wow that is one hog of a perch your son got, congrats to him.

Offline spb802

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If it's cold I'm on the hard water...
« Reply #9 on: Feb 20, 2018, 10:11 AM »
Go to Doug he does an awesome job, he's done three fish mounts for me all came out beautiful.
My passion for fishing and hunting, I owe to my Father and Uncle Art. RIP Art Rye, I will cherish all the days on the hard water we spent together and all the days in the woods. Miss you...

Offline Icemanvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:44 PM »
Doug is very good!  He did a few browns for me!
FLAG!!

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #11 on: Feb 20, 2018, 12:52 PM »
Congrats on the trophy perch..

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 20, 2018, 02:59 PM »
Everyone I talked to says Doug Yasner, but I got two perch done by him three years ago. They're already rotting, and have holes all over the faces. more than likely have to through them away. Maybe he just did a horrible job that year, but its hard to go back to someone after wasting that much money, and fish.

Offline EyERipLip

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Above the Ice, under the influence
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2018, 08:39 AM »
Everyone I talked to says Doug Yasner, but I got two perch done by him three years ago. They're already rotting, and have holes all over the faces. more than likely have to through them away. Maybe he just did a horrible job that year, but its hard to go back to someone after wasting that much money, and fish.
Have you contacted him about that?  Seems like a really odd problem to have with a mounted fish. They shouldn’t rot that’s for sure.  Had a friend with a deers ear splitting he had mounted 5 years prior. He took it and repaired it for no charge.

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2018, 12:35 PM »
So you catch the fish, now what do you do to prep it to be mounted? Never had a mount done before but have always been interested in getting one done. Do you just toss it in the freezer whole and then when it comes time keep it on ice in a cooler and bring it to the taxidermist?

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2018, 01:51 PM »
So you catch the fish, now what do you do to prep it to be mounted? Never had a mount done before but have always been interested in getting one done. Do you just toss it in the freezer whole and then when it comes time keep it on ice in a cooler and bring it to the taxidermist?

First take as many pictures that you can so the taxidermist has a good reference to match the color. I used to mount fish and I would wrap in plastic and then newspaper for protection and then another bag. I would try and not damage the fins. Freeze it whole.  You may be able to just keep it iced if you know immediately that your are getting it mounted and call the taxidermist right away.

Offline Will Vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2018, 01:54 PM »
First take as many pictures that you can so the taxidermist has a good reference to match the color. I used to mount fish and I would wrap in plastic and then newspaper for protection and then another bag. I would try and not damage the fins. Freeze it whole.  You may be able to just keep it iced if you know immediately that your are getting it mounted and call the taxidermist right away.

Thank you! 

Offline pikeaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 21, 2018, 02:04 PM »
Take pics, fold the fins down, wrap/roll it in a soaking wet shirt or towel like a cigar, wrap/roll it up in a trash bag (get as much air out as you can), tape it closed, place it in a freezer so it lays flat, and keep it frozen until the taxi gets it.

My taxidermist said DO NOT wrap it in any sort of paper!  It is an old method that is no longer suggested, because it draws moisture out of the skin and causes it to deteriorate faster.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 21, 2018, 02:16 PM »
For perchbait's pumpkinseed, we called Doug Yasner and he told us to carefully wrap in damp hand towels, then in a freezer bag and we layed it flat in the freezer until it was frozen solid.  The damp cloths preserved the colors and the skin very well.

Offline vtcountrychamp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 21, 2018, 05:13 PM »
Have you contacted him about that?  Seems like a really odd problem to have with a mounted fish. They shouldn’t rot that’s for sure.  Had a friend with a deers ear splitting he had mounted 5 years prior. He took it and repaired it for no charge.

I haven't yet. I got it done when I was stationed out west and just recently came back to Vermont, so I never had time to mail it all the way back. I think this summer I will bring them to him. Just seems weird because he has a really good reputation. Maybe he just rushed it or something.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.