The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Huge mark on my vexilar!  (Read 2929 times)

Offline jigging the dream

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishins' always good sometimes the catchin aint...
Huge mark on my vexilar!
« on: Jan 05, 2014, 09:49 PM »
Ok guys I'm kind of stumped and amazed at this. I was fishing yesterday at black sandy. I got my holes drilled, dropped my vex ducer in the hole, started dropping my jig down to the bottom. Right away I see something on there that looks like it might be a fish huggin the bottom. When my jig gets down there the mark starts moving. I have the fl18 with split screen bottom lock.(shows the bottom 6')what ever it was starts swimming  up towards my jig and out of sight. The only thing is, it was a solid red mark and it took up at least 2 to 3 feet or more of depth tick marks on the vex. I thought ok my gain is cranked up. Nope. It wasn't. I've owned my vexilar for a few years now and I've caught some decent sized fish but I have never once seen a mark that big register on the screen! Whatever it was it was it was humongous! Am I crazy?!?

Offline 4reel

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Huge mark on my vexilar!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:13 PM »
Where is black sandy,what kind of fish are in there? :-\

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:15 PM »
Hauser Lake. As far as I know theres walleye, trout,ling,and silver salmon

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:16 PM »
I'd be curious to see if the blip stayed after you hit the IR.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:19 PM »
I did do that and nothing changed! That's why I was so blown away by what I was seeing!

Offline 4reel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:23 PM »
My thoughts (I'm no expert by any streach) could have been a big ling,thats a large body of water it probably has some woppers in it.

Offline NorthernAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 38.5 Inches of Power
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:25 PM »
Easy one, scuba diver. Looking for gold. Next time snag him, teach a lesson.
NorthernAnglers - "You Catch It, I'll Put It On The Wall"

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:26 PM »
Carp:)

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:26 PM »
Whatever it was I wish it would have latched on to my offering lol. That would have been fun.

Offline flylinemt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:27 PM »
Maybe it was a bunch  of fish moving together, sometimes perch stack on the screen & look like a big mark , but eventually break up as they move.

Offline NorthernAngler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 38.5 Inches of Power
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:31 PM »
actually, honest answer here. If they have channel cats. 95% sure that is it. A buddy I know catches 15 to 18 lbs ice fishing, He said that fish will take up must of the graph in red because of the wide back.
NorthernAnglers - "You Catch It, I'll Put It On The Wall"

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:36 PM »
No channel cats in there

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:37 PM »
Wow! Yea I don't know if it holds cats. I've never heard of catfish being caught there. Coulda been a huge ling I suppose

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:44 PM »
beaver?
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline Yelloweyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:51 PM »
there are some huge fish in there, about 10 years ago a little girl caught a very large brown at the face of the damn on a dare devil and a barbie rod...... wanna say it was over 12#......

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2014, 10:59 PM »
I'd have to agree with mike, there are huge carp in all the missouri river res.  I've seen them in the 30lb range in the shallows at canyon ferry bow fishing.  I know guys who catch them flyfishing (on purpose :o) so they would prob take a look at your jig as well.

Offline grandTheft

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2014, 11:03 PM »
nessie?

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2014, 11:03 PM »
I shot a 25lb carp in that area bowfishing this summer.

Offline MTwalleyehunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2014, 11:51 PM »
Realistically probably a Big Brown or Ling.  There are three foot browns in Hauser and at least that big of ling.   Id bet on the brown though.

Offline Strippnthedream

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep ur knots tight and ur lines tighter!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2014, 12:26 AM »
I'd go with ling! We caught 1 on canyon ferry last year that was pushing 12+ n she is still swimming 2day if nobody else has caught her.
Luv2strip

So good with my rod I make fish come!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2014, 12:34 AM »
I'd love to fight a ling or a brown that big! Wow! I was just amazed when I saw that on my vex. It just swam away slow, almost like I annoyed it or woke it from a nap or something. It didn't even stop to look just swam away slow

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2014, 01:52 AM »
Carp are notorious for coming in slow, looking like the actually might bite, then the just slowwwwly fade away. I get excited Every time they show up.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:21 AM »
I've had ling do that.  They come in like regular marks till you hook em and they go vertical.  At that point I've seen marks that take up a good portion of the fish finder.   Wasn't there and just guessing a ling starting to go vertical and getting ready to strike.  I've seen the same thing with bass, with the limited experience I have with them
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline UncleFarm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2014, 11:31 AM »
That was Howie, the Hauser Lake Monster. He eats all the big walleye and perch, gives false readings on electronics, and his mighty methane releases cause that weak spot in the causeway channel ice. In the summer he hangs out by the dredges on the east side, wrecking the props of all who dare try to fish there with slip bobbers. He is also notorious for attaching the nicest fish of the day to the lines of the least experienced anglers in the group, often little girls with Barbie poles and red and white daredevils (true story),  and he is responsible for each and every skunking on Hauser, not to mention lost tackle. He bribes biologists, uses survey nets as a buffet, is on the board of PETA, has an "I Love Jane Fonda" tattoo, and leaves gates open and the seat up, getting sportsmen in the doghouse with both landowners and at home. Local tribal elders call this legend "Stupid, and grossly inaccurate" but offer me no better explanation for such phenomena than "Maybe you are a terrible fisherman?" at which I scoff and pshaw. Howie, the Hauser Lake Monster. Yessir, that's my story, and I'm stickin to it!
:tipup: Helena Hand-Auger :tipup:

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2014, 05:27 PM »
That was Howie, the Hauser Lake Monster. He eats all the big walleye and perch, gives false readings on electronics, and his mighty methane releases cause that weak spot in the causeway channel ice. In the summer he hangs out by the dredges on the east side, wrecking the props of all who dare try to fish there with slip bobbers. He is also notorious for attaching the nicest fish of the day to the lines of the least experienced anglers in the group, often little girls with Barbie poles and red and white daredevils (true story),  and he is responsible for each and every skunking on Hauser, not to mention lost tackle. He bribes biologists, uses survey nets as a buffet, is on the board of PETA, has an "I Love Jane Fonda" tattoo, and leaves gates open and the seat up, getting sportsmen in the doghouse with both landowners and at home. Local tribal elders call this legend "Stupid, and grossly inaccurate" but offer me no better explanation for such phenomena than "Maybe you are a terrible fisherman?" at which I scoff and pshaw. Howie, the Hauser Lake Monster. Yessir, that's my story, and I'm stickin to it!
I think that is best explanation yet!!!!

Offline bowhtr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2014, 05:39 PM »

:thumbsup: :roflmao:  Good one!!!
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º'>

BOWHTR

Offline pike_fisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2014, 08:57 PM »
Dude that is the most well-thought out line of bull that I have ever read!  It is AWESOME!!!
Fishing, the best stress management seminar for the money!

Offline vicster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2014, 09:30 PM »
Might be the best post I've ever seen on this site!!! ;D

Offline UncleFarm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2014, 11:32 PM »
Legends have to start Somewhere! These are the good ol' days!  ;D
:tipup: Helena Hand-Auger :tipup:

Offline ColdHole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2014, 11:36 PM »
I'm stumped.  Here I sit trying to think of how to type how funny that was! Well done Mister!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.