Author Topic: NH Fish and Game Dept woes  (Read 5790 times)

Offline squamriverbait

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: NH Fish and Game Dept woes
« Reply #30 on: Jan 18, 2008, 11:57 AM »
They should have charged for every single search and rescue. There should be some kind of fine for being that dumb.
Hi, I own a small bait shop  and I see men on the lake with two tip ups and no fish for the day, where do they (F&G) get off with that. all other states allow five or six tip ups, the limit of fish is all you can take home so what if we use five tip ups. this state is in a lot of trouble with the hunters and fishermen. we are giving till it hurts and they want more. I think they should all work for $25,000 per year and after five years if they are still with us get a slight raise.then they would be walking in our shoes.and controlling the budget. he,he,he jim

Offline jgguppyboy2

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice ice baby!
« Reply #31 on: Jan 18, 2008, 12:30 PM »
This 5 and 6 trap stuff is getting old.  the only lakes this is a factor on is ones with laketrout and salmon.  And weather people want to admit it or not you put 5 or 6 traps on winni you will KILL a much larger population of salmon which we do pay for.  There are many things I dissagree with right now that fish and game are doing right now but the trap issue is not one of them.  If they put a 6 trap rule on the lake then they will put a rule that you MUST cut your line immediately up realizing you have a salmon.  No taking them out of the water.  Then everyone will complain because they are losing money in hooks and jigs.  Its plain and simple.  You put that many traps in the water and you will see our salmon fishery go down the crapper fast.

~Stefan~

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2008, 12:47 PM »
Kenman, that really stinks.  It bothers me when anyone breaks the law, let alone someone who has to know better, especially when he/she is relied upon to uphold that same law.  Ignorance is no excuse to break a law, but when someone knows the law and they break it anyway, it's just defiance.   It makes the whole department look bad because of one or a couple individual's actions.  It's a shame.

As far as the 2 trap rule, I agree with jgguppyboy.  A lot of us go out for catch and release.  For everyone to slay fish all day on 6 traps, that would put a big strain on the populations.  Even if you're a responsible angler who knows what you're doing, it's not always possible to release every fish unharmed.

I'm not sure if you were kidding about F&G officers making 25K a year, but that's a bit unrealistic.  Especially considering they are willing to put themselves in harms way to save a life.  Officers are hired at around 33K for the first year.  After a year of training and being on probation, the officer's pay is increased to 42 or 43K.  Given today's cost of living, I don't find that to be unfair.

Offline mgarvey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2008, 03:33 PM »
In regards to salmon. I thought the law was that you had to cut the line and that you where not allowed to pull them out of the hole. I have always pulled to the hole and if it is a salmon I have always cut the line unless he was lipped even then I would remove the hook but never pull him from the water.

Offline knurren

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2008, 04:08 PM »
I do the same thing as that is the safest way, in my opinion.  I don't want an officer to see one out of the water at all.  I don't usually fish just under the ice, so I'm able to avoid them but if I do get a salmon, I just cut the line as close to the hook as I can.

Offline mgarvey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 18, 2008, 05:18 PM »
You couldn't pay these guys enough, I think them police and fire personal are the most thankless jobs. They put there life on the line and they are the first jobs that tax payers want to cut when times get tough. And I am not affiliated with any of these professions.
Maybe the department is not managed correctly and hopefully some of the proposes get implemented but it is not fair that the money for the management of these great gifts to all be put on just sportsmen. Some of the money should come from the tolls on the road coming into the state. I am sure a majority of out of states coming into the state are coming to enjoy the great outdoors. I know that it why my wife and I come north.   

Offline jgguppyboy2

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ice ice baby!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 18, 2008, 05:37 PM »
the only time you must cut the line is when you catch a fish other than a cusk on a cusk device.      Upon catching a salmon the rulebook says you must immediately release it unharmed.  It does not say you cant take it out of the water however,  the less you can handle it the better off the fish will be.  Winni is one of nh most popular and most fished lakes, especialy with tourist and out of state fisherman.  with 6 traps your fish would greatly decrease in size as well.  It really would be a lose lose situation.  however I would be up for f&g to consider allowing a jigging hole in addition to the 2 trap limit.  as long as it is attended at all times when it is being used.

~Stefan~                             

Offline nhtroutfreak

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Newfound Lake, NH
« Reply #37 on: Jan 18, 2008, 05:52 PM »
I'd be up for that extra line,too.  I don't think it's unreasonable.  6 would definitely be too much.  I enjoy the salmon fishery during the open water months and would hate to see anything that would hurt it.
"Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have had no time to go fishing."
Clark Gable

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.