Author Topic: Need sonar  (Read 2580 times)

PerchBusterSD

Need sonar
« on: Oct 22, 2003, 06:53 AM »
Got a ?. I had a vexilar fl-18 sold it because the wife could not read it and when i was outside the shack jigging she was in the shack asking if there was fish on the screen. Makes ya shake your head so i bought a underwater camera thought if she could see the fish she would shut up and fish but as far as i can see if you dont have good clear water you cant see anything so.....i sold it. Now.... i target perch all winter and i think if you keep moving till ya find them they will bite. Am i making a mistake by not using sonar? ::)

Exudedude

Re:Need sonar
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2003, 07:45 AM »
I dont know if the word mistake is correct.  However, I dont see how its possible to catch more fish without a locator.  its just a fact, you will catch more fish if you use a depthfinder of some sort.  In my opinion you should not have gotten rid of the FL-18.

Thats just my opinion.  It took a few trips for my wife to get the hang of it, but now she wont fish unless she has the FL-18.  I had to buy 2 of them.. LOL

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 22, 2003, 09:08 AM »
I would never be without my FL-8.

There are a few more sonar options available. Maybe she can read one of the other brands better. Take a look at the Lowrance X67C.

Jam_Jam

« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2003, 10:18 AM »
Get another Vex or marcum or whatever flasher and take the time to teach the wife how to use it!  it is a powerful fishing tool!  If she watches the video that comes with the vexilar a few times I can't see how she won't pick up the theory behind it.   I drill three holes close together with the transducer in the middle hole and me and my fishing partner (girlfriend usually) on either side and we can both see our lures on the unit specially when fishing deeper water.  I'd like another Vex but I definitely can't justify spending that kind of dollars X2...at least not right now:)

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2003, 10:59 AM »
Ooooh no! should have kept the fl-18.Whats up with that.Never heard such A thing........Get rid of the FL-18 !! no way not me
How many men does it take to open a beer,
None...it's open when she brings it! ! !

Offline shwung79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2003, 11:22 AM »
I  never fish with out my vex 18 unless my girl friend steals it from me!! >:(
TEAR'N UP THAT ICE!!

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #6 on: Oct 22, 2003, 01:13 PM »
I invested in an Fl18 for this season. I use a polar vision last year, and will use it this year, mainly for depth reading before I drill. Its to my understand that LCD units are a little slower in picking up your bait,and fish, so you dont have "real time movements" noticed as on a flasher. Ive seen how the flashers worked, and preferred getting one over an aqua view. I would teach your wife to use one, most of the pro packs come with a video (which mine was missing from the box, but Vexilar is sending me one ), with Mr. Genz on it explaing how to use it, maybe have her watch it a few times. Ive heard many people say it increase there catch by double. I did well last year without a sonar, mainly because, I know my home lake well,and fish it year long, so I have a good idea where perch and other fish usally hold, but a flasher will let you know what depth there at. Also the ability for the FL-18 to pick up fish laying on the bottom is a plus for me. Seems like every walleye & Yellow perch I nailed was near the bottom.

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #7 on: Oct 22, 2003, 08:11 PM »
Bad move, you should have got rid of the wife, not the FL-18

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 22, 2003, 08:39 PM »
Whoa, kennelz, thats harsh.
Exudedude is right on. Its not a mistake but you would probably catch more fish. But since the limit there is 10 its not a big deal really. I dont think anyone in NE SD uses sonar. I fish all over up there and basicaly never see vexilars. For perch its not as important as for fish that move up and down the water column more.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline nunzio

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love a day on the ice!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2003, 09:15 AM »
Wouldn't fish without my FL18!! Here in Mn most folks fish with electronics. The first time you see fish coming off of the bottom or rising/chasing your lure...... I can't wait!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.