Author Topic: Pb perch  (Read 958 times)

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pb perch
« on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:58 AM »

Had a few hours this morning and got the biggest perch I've ever caught through the ice. She was in 45 fow also caught a couple lakers and another perch that was smaller measured in at 11.5 inches. I didn't measure the big one the skimmer was to far and I wanted her back down the hole but if I had to guess it was in the 12.5 -13 inch range. Also jigged a bunch of smelt up too
Every fish is a good fish!

BrookieSlayer99

Re: Pb perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2017, 01:27 PM »
Nice fish! I always seem to get those jumbo perch earlier in the season rather than later.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2017, 02:00 PM »
Nice jumbo...
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2017, 03:12 PM »
jumbo perch in late winter are usually females loaded with eggs, which means less meat overall.
The early ones are a blast when you can get a school of them!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2017, 03:23 PM »
jumbo perch in late winter are usually females loaded with eggs, which means less meat overall.
The early ones are a blast when you can get a school of them!
That one was full of eggs......i snapped that and got it back in the hole quick

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2017, 05:45 PM »
I commend you on your release but perch taken out of deep water typically don't survive. Their swim bladder is different than a trout/salmon's.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2017, 06:14 PM »
I commend you on your release but perch taken out of deep water typically don't survive. Their swim bladder is different than a trout/salmon's.
Yes.....isn't that when they come up too quickly though? Normally you'd see it in the back of their throat too if they come up too fast...right? She swam off pretty well and I didn't see any signs of the "bends". When I fish deep i take my time bringing them up try to hold them at a couple different depths as I reel in.

BrookieSlayer99

« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:39 PM »
Yes.....isn't that when they come up too quickly though? Normally you'd see it in the back of their throat too if they come up too fast...right? She swam off pretty well and I didn't see any signs of the "bends". When I fish deep i take my time bringing them up try to hold them at a couple different depths as I reel in.
Idk I was simply advised by a very trusted contact to keep any out of 25+ fow. If you perch/crappie fish in the fall you would know what I mean when i say they take off but don't keep going lol. They might go 10 feet under the ice then just stop and float back until they hit the ice. Same goes for white perch too.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2017, 08:49 PM »
Idk I was simply advised by a very trusted contact to keep any out of 25+ fow. If you perch/crappie fish in the fall you would know what I mean when i say they take off but don't keep going lol. They might go 10 feet under the ice then just stop and float back until they hit the ice. Same goes for white perch too.
Interesting I'll keep that in mind..... I did a little research on it after you brought it up. I didn't see any signs of pressure trauma hopefully I brought her up slow enough

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.