Author Topic: Fish Trap help  (Read 998 times)

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fish Trap help
« on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:26 AM »
So my Yukon is coming earlier than expected and the cover and runners won't be here until next week. I read it's much easier to install the runners before setting it up - but I want to use it this weekend. How much of a pain is it going to be if I set it up and use it this weekend and then install the runners before next weekend? 

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Fish Trap help
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2016, 10:32 AM »
A little bit of work ...easier prior to assembly ...I did my Frabill Adventurer after a season of use ...some tricks ...hot bucket of water to assist in bending ...drill your holes smaller to hold screw/bolt while you put the nuts on ...two people and some saw horses will do wonders as well as two drills  ...one for holes and one to screw in bolt/screw .   ;)2
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2016, 11:14 AM »
A little bit of work ...easier prior to assembly ...I did my Frabill Adventurer after a season of use ...some tricks ...hot bucket of water to assist in bending ...drill your holes smaller to hold screw/bolt while you put the nuts on ...two people and some saw horses will do wonders as well as two drills  ...one for holes and one to screw in bolt/screw .   ;)2

Thank you for the tips! 

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2016, 11:24 AM »
Anyone think of some accessories that are a must have for fish traps?

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2016, 02:02 PM »
longer rope, led lights, reflectix if non insulated, storage, rod holders....spend some time and read this thread http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=42669.0

Catchin' Fish

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2016, 07:09 AM »
Thanks!  Lots of good info in that thread. From what I can see the pile system extends with the use of clips but if I am running and gunning is it going to be a problem with leaving the bars extended?  Will the fabric drag if I don't strap or cover the trap?? Or should it just collapse on itself and be ready to pull without any prep??

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2016, 07:16 AM »
I like the Clam console

http://stores.clamoutdoors.com/clam/accessories/shelter-organization/corner-console.html

the Frabill light ...easy ...portable ...no wires ...adjustable

http://www.frabill.com/ice-fishing/ice-shelter-accessories/super-bright-she.html

Rod holders ....LED lights
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2016, 07:24 AM »
Anyone think of some accessories that are a must have for fish traps?

Take it out as is and see what you could use. Led lights and reflectix are only good if your sitting hunkered down and not moving. If your actively moving the reflectix is pretty much useless since all heat retention is lost when u flip it open anyway, i always got plenty of light with a headlamp or uncovering a window.

As for moving, just flip and go, no need to pack everything up and cover it. Only need the cover if its snowing or raining when dragging out and when leaving. If you plan to pull with a vehicle the cover is nice too.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2016, 07:28 AM »
I did my runners after canvas assembly. You will need an extra set of hands, but no big deal. And when moving my Yukon I leave the back pole in and just flip and go, unless it's super windy.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2016, 08:59 AM »
Again, thanks guys. Looks like rod holders, lights and that console will be my next buy.  Rug what do you mean by back pole?  Is there a way to have the trap half open as a windblocker??

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline GourdneckGills

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2016, 10:53 AM »
just tuck the fabric in between the poles and youll be fine.  an I-bolt in the back with a carbabiner is real handy to hook other sleds to when pulling.  i can pull 3+ loaded jet sleds behinf it with a snowmobile
Life is hard, its harder if youre stupid

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2016, 11:49 AM »
I was thinking two I bolts on each side of the back to avoid the back sled from zig zagging too much and if it's full of fish or heavy hear it will be less stress on the Yukon tub.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2016, 11:52 AM »
I was thinking two I bolts on each side of the back to avoid the back sled from zig zagging too much and if it's full of fish or heavy hear it will be less stress on the Yukon tub.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2016, 12:17 PM »

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2016, 03:35 PM »
Yes, the back pole fits in a hole on the edge of the tub and the other end clips onto the rear support. With that in, you can simply flip up the canvas and it will stay upright, not dragging on the ground, works just like a wind block. Great feature to socialize with some buds out on the ice. I try to set up with my back to the wind, although that can change in an instant. Love my Yukon!

Offline TNT5859

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2016, 07:45 PM »
great stuff..

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2016, 09:51 PM »
Got it mostly set up tonight besides the screws around the molding. what a pain!!  It seems like the sleds leaning forward but if I pull any more fabric towards the back the front end lifts off the ground.  Tried adjusting the velcro and the separators but it doesn't seem to work. Tilt is barely noticeable so I will probably just screw it in place tomorrow.  What is up with the 2 clips per pole?????  Do you snap them to something?  The directions were not the easiest to figure out haha.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2016, 07:20 AM »
I have an older Yukon, not sure what changes they've made over the years.....are you referring to the spreader poles? In high wind they help keep the canvas from lifting. I rarely ever use them, in fact they stay home most of the time.

Offline VTMatt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2016, 07:31 AM »
I have an older Yukon, not sure what changes they've made over the years.....are you referring to the spreader poles? In high wind they help keep the canvas from lifting. I rarely ever use them, in fact they stay home most of the time.

Yes those poles. They had me attach two clips per pole and didn't really explain what they're for..

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2016, 03:52 PM »
Got it mostly set up tonight besides the screws around the molding. what a pain!!  It seems like the sleds leaning forward but if I pull any more fabric towards the back the front end lifts off the ground.  Tried adjusting the velcro and the separators but it doesn't seem to work. Tilt is barely noticeable so I will probably just screw it in place tomorrow.  What is up with the 2 clips per pole?????  Do you snap them to something?  The directions were not the easiest to figure out haha.
I just put a new cover on an old clam guide, and the directions said to pull down on the fabric in the back of the tub until the poles in the front are 1in. off the floor. I did that with mine and it seems to be ok. Won't know till I get on the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.