Author Topic: to poly or not to poly  (Read 550 times)

Offline Bearseatfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
to poly or not to poly
« on: Oct 19, 2017, 08:16 AM »
Hi team do any of you polyurethane your unfinished tip ups? Does it extend the life of your tip up? Do you find it worth it?

:tipup:
In winter we become gods and walk on water....

Offline rbalkevitch

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: to poly or not to poly
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2017, 09:36 AM »
i have some from the 60's that were passed down to me.  I sanded them and away i went with them.  No issues even without a finish on them.  I think the wood that the older tip-up were made from is treated.

I did apply a coat of lacquer finish on one of them just to give it a shine.  I work with poly sometime, and i think it may be too thick of a finish, and could cause you some issues with the tip-up having a hard time opening and closing if they are put together tightly.  Note, i took my apart so that i could lacquer the joints too.  I used Red and green Kool-aid to stain the wood before adding the finish.  It looks cool, but they lasted since the 60's without needing the finish.
A wise man once said nothing. Rob~

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2017, 11:18 AM »
Hi team do any of you polyurethane your unfinished tip ups? Does it extend the life of your tip up? Do you find it worth it?

:tipup:

Poly is nice for a couple reasons. One being that the wood doesnt absorb water and swell. Making breaking them down easier.

On real cold days then the water in the hole freezes over, it doesnt stick to the poly like it does to untreated wood.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2017, 01:12 PM »
I think finished tilts are nice and maybe someday I might finish my 25-year-old Heritages... In a decade or to...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.