Author Topic: Chubby Darter  (Read 4303 times)

Offline lawsonsfishers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Splake Splake Splake!
Chubby Darter
« on: Dec 09, 2008, 02:26 PM »
I hear a lot about chubby darters and am considering buying one. What kind of fish take them? They are kind of expensive for a jig. Thanks.  ???

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Chubby Darter
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2008, 02:29 PM »
I have caught perch, eyes, crappies, pike and bass on them so far.

Offline lawsonsfishers

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Splake Splake Splake!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2008, 02:34 PM »
Do they catch a lot fish? Do the fish like them?

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline QuantumPT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing at a Quantum Level
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2008, 04:15 PM »
i know a guy who loves these things on Pigeon lake for walleye when the bite is on!!  I bought a crapload of these things in various sizes and colors,  to try this year.  Even the new Goldfinger color that is available in only a certain place.
I can....jig it, rip it, pop it, crank it.

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2008, 12:13 AM »
Chubbies are the crankbaits of ice fishing, when the bites on, hang on!!!

Some chubby eyes

Go ahead make my day

Another chubby rigged
I gotta chubby

Offline Marlin07

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They were here yesterday...
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2008, 05:29 PM »
That rod holder you have rigged up, does it have a BBQ rotisserie motor on it? looks like what I'm after

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2008, 05:36 PM »
Icontact:

I fish the chubbies as well and have had good success lately.  

Based on your setup, it looks like you are allowing the chubby to deadstick.  Do you add a minnow to your chubby?  

I usually do not and work the lure continuously.  I have never caught a walleye on it without jigging.
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2008, 08:50 PM »
hear a lot about chubby darters and am considering buying one

I own a few, and use them a few times each season, I may have landed one fish on them...maybe..just does nto seem to be the ticket in my area...I have a variety of sizes and colors..no luck for me, but I hear so much i try them each year

icontact.....are you deadsticking the darter...i have never seen a crankbait on a deadstick befor, is it tipped? and just used for profile?

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 14, 2008, 09:31 PM »
I do not dead stick chubbies very often, I had one rigged on the rod I used on the automatic fisherman so I used it there, but usually I have them on the jigger, and I jig them with my rod in hand setup as well. Sometimes I tip them with a minnow head only, and usually in the evening when the bites on I don't tip them at all. They are one of the best fish attracting lures I have used, you will see a lot of fish on the flasher when using them, sometime a little reluctant to bite, so last year I started using a dropshot jig (not tied just loose on the line) about a foot and half above the chubby. This was toward the end of the season so I will be trying it more this year to see if it intices more bites when the fish are neutral.
On the jigger I usually have the chubby just touching the bottom when at rest, this seems to work best on the jigger anyway.
I use them everytime I go out on at least one line, and I keep catching fish on them so for me they are quite productive. They are like using crankbaits in the summer, a lot of guys don't take the time to play with them a bit, which  IMO you have to do, if you are going to be consistant fishing crankbaits. In the winter it allows me to fish an aggressive bait (chubby) and a more finesse, jig or dropshot rig at the same time only a few feet apart. If they are on the chubbies I switch both lines to them, and even when it is slow I always keep one on the jigger setup as they attract fish, even if they come over and hit the jig setup.
Started fishing a lindy rig a few years back when things were slow, a phelps floater on a short 6" snell, actually worked pretty good sometime, like any presentation, they all work good sometime.
Double hook drop shot setup with split tail gulps takes a few every year to, just gotta keep playing.
I have also used the chubbies with a small dropper for perch, works for them to.
I gotta chubby

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2008, 09:47 PM »
That rod holder you have rigged up, does it have a BBQ rotisserie motor on it? looks like what I'm after

Yes BBQ rotisserie, takes 2 D batteries which usually last a season. If it is quite cold I take another set of batteries that I keep warm in my jacket to switch out. I used it for lakers last year at Cold Lake, got a few hits on it, but never actually iced any lakers on it.
I posted this somewhere on here before but here it is again. The jigger in action
I gotta chubby

Offline Marlin07

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They were here yesterday...
« Reply #11 on: Dec 14, 2008, 10:17 PM »
That's genius! I think you might have to patent that baby. I can see that unit coming in handy out at Gull this winter after dark when a few cool ones are being had and the burbot bite is on.... thanks for the post

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 15, 2008, 09:12 PM »
That's genius! I think you might have to patent that baby. I can see that unit coming in handy out at Gull this winter after dark when a few cool ones are being had and the burbot bite is on.... thanks for the post

Actually it was a fishin buddy of mine that made it, I only changed a few things on it that seem to work a bit better than original.
I gotta chubby

Offline FishingNy03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2009, 05:08 PM »
what would you guys recomend for colors?? for walleye

Offline poorfisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2009, 02:35 PM »
I love the chubby darter caught alot of pike on them last year when nothing else was working
Blake from Elbow

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:07 PM »
What's that red rodholder/tipup called?  I know it works like a slammer, but I can't remember the name.  Any help?

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #16 on: Nov 30, 2009, 08:49 PM »
red rodholder/tipup called?

i believe they are called the "automatic fisherman"

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:29 PM »