The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: inline ice reel  (Read 804 times)

Offline Crappiehunter1981

• Team IceShanty Addict
inline ice reel
« on: Feb 26, 2014, 07:41 AM »
Last week I was traveling through Salt Lake City Utah.  They recently opened a Scheels off of IS 15.  I was extremely impressed with the ice fishing section,  by far the largest Ice section I have ever seen.  I picked up an inline rod and reel combo.  Fished with it briefly on Monday, but not long enough to make my mind up.  If anyone has experience with these reels please let me know what you think.

Offline john1026

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLLAGGG!!!
Re: inline ice reel
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2014, 07:58 AM »
Inline is all I've been using.  I like the faster drop and it's comfortable to me.
FLLAGGG!!!

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2014, 06:53 PM »
I started using inlines last year with a Frabill 101.  It was really nice until you got in over 20 feet of water.  Then you had to reel like crazy if the fish started to run to the surface.  I got a Black Betty 6061 from Don at Tackle Shack and it is incredible.  You will hear people say that it can not drop a jig down very fast, but this one seems to keep up with the jig drop.  When it is cold, I usually pull the line off the reel anyway, just like a spinning reel.  Today, I caught a 20 inch carp with my black betty and it worked flawlessly.  The drag was very smooth and was able to keep up with the fish.  The Black Betty is more expensive, but I feel that it is worth the money.  You get what you pay for.  Best of luck.  Nez

Offline Perchdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2014, 10:23 AM »
I've been seriously considering getting a 6061 and I think I'll make a trip to Don's to check one out.
Granted they are a little pricey and thats what I'm worried about,I'll really like it and want several more.
Talk about price,check out fly fishing reels.Sounds like most guys who have them really like them. 

Offline hawgchaser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2014, 09:13 PM »
Don at the Tackle Shack showed me his setup last weekend. I liked it enough to know I will have 1 or 2 for next year. I would already have one, but he was sold out of the model I want.
You can't get them from the couch!

Offline NEZ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Good fishing and safe ice
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2014, 08:45 PM »
Reg, I was worried about the price of the reel also because I had an Eagle Claw in-line and had problems with it the 3rd or 4th time out.  I have used it now for several weeks and this reel is the reel deal.  The drag is very smooth and it works flawlessly like I said earlier.  You definitely get what you pay for.  Many of us don't bat an eye at spending a few hundred dollars for a rod and reel combo for bass, walleye, etc fishing, but want the cheapest outfit for the ice.  The quality of this reel, I should have it for several years.  I can assure you that I will have another one of these reels for next year.  Nez

Offline wileyc3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • T7 Custom Rods, CatchEmAll Custom jigs
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2014, 12:06 PM »
I have 3 Clam spoolers, agree with the rest, best used for shallow. I fished Lily about a month ago in 19'-28' FOW with them and it was a bit of a pain getting them back down the hole quick after catching a fish cuz I dont loosen my drag back up so the line peels off easily, I just try to peel it off with my hand as quick as possible and yes when a fish takes a run to the surface it can be a lil tough to try to keep up with it unless ya buy one of the geared ones on the market.

With all that said I still use that set up 90% of the time because that is what I have gotten used to and learned to deal with it. I do like not having to deal with line twist which was the main reason I started using them. If you do go with that type of reel may I make a sugestion...... back them with foam strips to build up the arbor diameter, even though the clams have a large spool diam. I still backed it bigger. I went to the craft store and bought a sheet of craft foam ( about a dollar ) cut it into strips to fit inside the reel and taped it down ( electrical tape ), you can fill it up to within a 1/4" of the edge and still fit a 100 yds of 1-4 lb test on with no problem. Just keep wrapping the foam till you get it filled as far as you want it. Here's a pic of one of mine. Good luck in what ever ya decide........ Wiley

Be safe & Tight lines...........Wiley

Offline ShimmyShack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2014, 03:08 PM »
Just today picked up a Frabill 241 which I'm going to spool with 6lb blue Trilene.  1.  It looked interesting and undoubtably has it's own characteristics and technique and 2. I'm curious to see how it can relieve line twist.

I'll try to remember to post my opinion after this weekends fish.
Bad day fishing…Better than a good day at work.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.