New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: DOES A CLAM ARCTIC WARRIOR COUNT AS A TIP UP??  (Read 4071 times)

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
DOES A CLAM ARCTIC WARRIOR COUNT AS A TIP UP??
« on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:26 PM »
on another site someone was telling me that it is considered a tip up since it has a flag... anyone know about that? thanks, Steve
If you drill it, they will come...

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: DOES A CLAM ARCTIC WARRIOR COUNT AS A TIP UP??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:33 PM »
Yep, its a tip up, it has a signaling device
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When you find your passion pursue it like crazy
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:35 PM »
"Tip-up means any device used for fishing through the ice that has a signaling device attached, except a bobber or other floating object on the water, that will visually or audibly signal a strike." NYS DEC

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/33067.html

IceShanty Tournament 1st Place Muskie 2012
ISNY Tournament 2nd Place Crappie 2013, 2n

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:39 PM »
Call the DEC and ask your question. They're very helpful.

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline reservoirdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:48 PM »
Good question , I was wondering the same !!! while we are on the topic  So if I have 5 tip ups set up with 2 dead sticks with bells that is not legal , ???

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2014, 06:52 PM »
thanks for the quick replys. per the dec's definition a dead stick with a bell is considered a tip up lol. i emailed the dec just to make sure but the definition is pretty clear... but as of 4/15 the regs are changing to allow any combination of 7 lines

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2014, 07:54 PM »
Good question , I was wondering the same !!! while we are on the topic  So if I have 5 tip ups set up with 2 dead sticks with bells that is not legal , ???

But, the good news is that you are allowed THREE dead sticks / hand lines.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:22 PM »
you've been allowed 5 tip ups and 3 hand lines for the past 2 years now....

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:25 PM »
you've been allowed 5 tip ups and 3 hand lines for the past 2 years now....

Yup. But you'd be surprised how many people tell me I'm crazy when I tell them that.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:26 PM »
Yup. But you'd be surprised how many people tell me I'm crazy when I tell them that.

The past 2 year that discussion comes up on here along with what is considered a tip-up and if you ask me the definition of a tip-up is clear as day

Offline Hardwaternubie53

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:31 PM »
Yup. I agree. But, some folks need more clarification than others.

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2014, 08:49 AM »
any idea why it doesnt say that on the dec website or in the regs book?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 11, 2014, 08:58 AM »
Not sure why it isn't spelled out more clearly in the publication...as is many things ..the website has tons of info but hard to find stuff at times ...the three line regulation  never made it to print and I believe they have just been using past regulation books and changing the cover page the past couple seasons . 7 devices will/could/should clarify things.
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline JiggerDan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 11, 2014, 09:06 AM »
7 devices will/could/should clarify things.
Don't bet on it. ;)
Jesus ain't the only one who walks on water!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2014, 09:07 AM »
Call the DEC and ask your question. They're very helpful.Rg

Yes Sir....  ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11, 2014, 10:54 AM »
This came up last year. The Arctic Warrior has a flag on it, so it is a tip up. The Jaw Jackers and the Automatic Fisherman style traps seem to be where the grey area begins, as they have no flags attached and are not clearly defined through the DEC's definition of the thing. You will hear opinions on both sides of the fence on this one. Use the search function and reference last seasons post and form your own interpretation. 
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline 10th MTN Dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Please pass the peck of pickled Pickerel and Pike!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 11, 2014, 01:37 PM »
Proposed changes for those interested [deleted text] with replacement following:

10.4 Ice fishing and use of [tip-ups]ice-fishing lines.

(a) For the purposes of this Part, [tip-up]an ice-fishing line means any device used for fishing through the ice, including but not limited to hand line, tip-up, tip down, etc. [that has a signaling device attached, except a bobber or other floating object on the water, that will visually or audibly signal a strike].

(b) General provisions.(1)No person shall fish through the ice in any water inhabited by trout except those waters specified in this Part.

(2) No person shall [operate tip-ups]use ice fishing lines on the frozen waters of the State during the period from May 1st through November 14th.

(3) Fish may be taken through the ice in accordance with open seasons, minimum sizes and daily limits set forth in this Part.

(4) Wherever ice fishing is permitted, no more than [two-hand lines and five tip-ups]seven ice fishing lines, with an ice fishing line meaning any device use for ice fishing through the ice (including but not limited to hand line, tip-up, tip down, rod and reel, etc.) may be used except where specified in this section or other sections of this Part.

(5) No more than 15 [tip-ups and two handlines ]ice fishing lines, with an ice fishing line meaning any device use for ice fishing through the ice (including but not limited to hand line, tip-up, tip down, rod and reel, etc.) may be used in Lake Champlain.

(6) No person shall operate [tip-ups]ice fishing lines without being in immediate attendance while the [tip-ups]ice fishing lines are in the water.

[(7) All tip-ups must be marked with the name and address of the operator while tip-ups are in the water.]

([8]7 ) No person shall [operate a tip-up]use an ice-fishing line that has more than five lures or baits or a combination of both.

([9]8 ) No person shall [operate a tip-up]use an ice-fishing line that has more than 15 hook points in any combination of single, double or treble hooks.

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:08 PM »
any idea why it doesnt say that on the dec website or in the regs book?

says it right here in the big green box.... not sure how you could miss it.... also the same link I posted before

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:37 PM »
What about tip downs? Are they hand lines or tip ups?  ::)
 :P

Where'd that horse carcass go?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:42 PM »
Actually, they're proposing legislation requiring the registration of all automatic style fishing devices. Minnow buckets will be limited to 7 minnows.  ::)

Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline sjord89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get reel
« Reply #20 on: Dec 11, 2014, 05:45 PM »
says it right here in the big green box.... not sure how you could miss it.... also the same link I posted before
i missed it because i only looked at the definition of a tip up. thanks for pointing that out for me loudmouth

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2014, 08:34 PM »
What about if I attach a bell to my jig pole but I'm too far away to hear it does that count as a tip-up?

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2014, 10:55 PM »
I did call DEC about this last year. I have the Automatic Fisherman. DEC response - The rod going off (triggered) is a visual indicator. No need for a flag/bell.

There is a thread about this from last year ...

Offline Reel_Force

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Dec 12, 2014, 05:20 AM »
heres  my question and I need help I bought a box of ice fishing stuff at a yard sale ... it had  some spools  with clips on them and when you pulled the line a bell inside  made noise .... however theres no flag .... 

question two  what if my jigging rod has a strike indicator on it ???? is that then a tip up ????

what if a device has  both a flag  and a bobber ...what the heck is it then??????....

if I leave  my auger half in the ice near a hole and attach my jigging rod   and watch the tip of the rod ...is that a  tip down??????

can anyone help me  ?????

Offline bcons

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 12, 2014, 05:47 AM »
Trapper, its my interpretation that in your scenario if you leave the auger 1/2 in the ice and attach a jigging pole, you should use the rattle wheel you mentioned and some duct tape, add the wheel to the butt of the rod as a counter balance so the rod can then move up and down easily, while making noise.

The only thing I'm unsure of is whether you'd want to put your name and info on the rod, auger, rattlewheel, or all 3????
I asked my neighbors cousin who said he heard from a guy at the gas station who got it first hand from the guy who changes the oil on the truck driven by a guy who fishes with an ECO it should be on the auger.
 :blink: :blink:

Offline NatefishNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 12, 2014, 06:02 AM »
Actually, they're proposing legislation requiring the registration of all automatic style fishing devices. Minnow buckets will be limited to 7 minnows.  ::)

Rg

Don't give the state any ideas RG please, we'll have to have another sled full of nothing but bait buckets to haul our in addition to our gear...  :woot: :woot:

Trapper, its my interpretation that in your scenario if you leave the auger 1/2 in the ice and attach a jigging pole, you should use the rattle wheel you mentioned and some duct tape, add the wheel to the butt of the rod as a counter balance so the rod can then move up and down easily, while making noise.

The only thing I'm unsure of is whether you'd want to put your name and info on the rod, auger, rattlewheel, or all 3????
I asked my neighbors cousin who said he heard from a guy at the gas station who got it first hand from the guy who changes the oil on the truck driven by a guy who fishes with an ECO it should be on the auger.
 :blink: :blink:

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
            P.E.T.A. = People Eating Tasty Animals

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Dec 12, 2014, 06:07 AM »
THANK YOU  BCONS!!!!!

I  should  have  called  you  and  asked  ...finally a  straight  answer!!!!!

ya  know  b cons  not  everyone  is  as  serious  as you and  me  in  here ...

hey  so if I  take  the  flags  off my  tip ups  and   use a bobber instead  they  are  considered  hand  lines??????

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Dec 12, 2014, 12:38 PM »
(6) No person shall operate [tip-ups]ice fishing lines without being in immediate attendance while the [tip-ups]ice fishing lines are in the water.

My favorite line.....
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline Loudmouth879

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 12, 2014, 04:55 PM »

My favorite line.....

Well what is immediate attendance? I can run pretty fast so does that mean my immediate attendance is a bigger range than someone who is slow? What if I have an atv or snowmobile and a pair of binoculars and I check my flags every 30 seconds can I go even farther?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.