New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice fishing Lake Chautaqua  (Read 4042 times)

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice fishing Lake Chautaqua
« Reply #30 on: Dec 13, 2011, 03:57 PM »
Yes, try the Chautauqua Lake Snowmobile Club's website. There was a nice webcam in back of the local snowmobile dealer right on the lake. This area is where many guys fish. Hope this cam is still working.

Offline icemandm666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Dec 13, 2011, 03:58 PM »
Yes, try the Chautauqua Lake Snowmobile Club's website. There was a nice webcam in back of the local snowmobile dealer right on the lake. This area is where many guys fish. Hope this cam is still working.
thanks will try that site

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:21 AM »
Last year we put in at Prendergast Point Launch area and ATV'd to the Bell Tower area where a lot of fellows were doing OK.  We did OK also but on the way back we stopped and put in at several spots on the way. Every where we put in was OK and even better. It seems that wherever there was no one was nearby, the fishing was better since there was less fishing pressure and more fish available. So do not think putting in next to someone who is doing well is the best move. Instead of sharing the nearby fish, find your own honey hole.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline PerchPirate97

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 14, 2011, 01:43 PM »
Had the same luck last year Jimski, further from crowds you got, the bigger and more cooperative the perch tended to be

Offline icemandm666

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 14, 2011, 03:40 PM »
Last year we put in at Prendergast Point Launch area and ATV'd to the Bell Tower area where a lot of fellows were doing OK.  We did OK also but on the way back we stopped and put in at several spots on the way. Every where we put in was OK and even better. It seems that wherever there was no one was nearby, the fishing was better since there was less fishing pressure and more fish available. So do not think putting in next to someone who is doing well is the best move. Instead of sharing the nearby fish, find your own honey hole.
YES I WILL AGREE WE FISHED SHERMANS BAY WITH NO ONE AROUND AND DID VERY WELL ON NICE PERCH AND A FEW CRAPPIES

Offline hammer44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Dec 28, 2011, 05:44 PM »
been ice fishing lake chautaqua the past 4 years but never  catch any perch over 9 or 10 inches is there a reason why they dont get any bigger than that ?

Offline StCroice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:16 PM »
I have just started coming up to chautauqua last season from PA can anyone tell me if there is normally safe ice there in early march?

Offline hammer44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Dec 28, 2011, 08:52 PM »
          YA STC. FIRST OR SECOND NORMALLY STILL HAS GOOD ICE IT GETS A LITTLE SLUSHY  AND HARD TO DRAG A HUT BUT FISHABLE.

Offline BillionaireBoyzIceman44

• IceShanty Rookie
  • da bears
« Reply #38 on: Dec 28, 2011, 09:05 PM »
all i've gotten are smaller perch with the occasional crappie, anyone have better luck?
gotta risk it to get the biscuit

Offline davskin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Dec 28, 2011, 10:26 PM »
is there any ice out there yet ??? im itching to get  out

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:09 AM »
The small perch are a result of a failure to harvest enough of them to grow bigger fish. The growth rate of a thirteen inch Lake Erie perch in years is the same as a 10 inch Chautauqua Lake perch of the same age. The perch there are out of control as they devour all the walleye, bass and musky fry and minnows. The small fish control the biomass, not the large predator fish. Lake Erie has the Canadian commercial fishermen targeting the eight to ten inch perch and the larger ones survive to supply the sport fishing fleets. This may be contrary to many thoughts, but it is what it is. If the Musky hatchery did not raise muskys to fingerling size, there would be no muskys since the uncontrolled perch numbers consume all the small critters. Where are all the small bass and walleyes? In the bellies of the perch.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline Snoman2005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #41 on: Dec 29, 2011, 08:53 AM »
So if I wanted to target musky, it would be smart to use catch some perch in the lake and use as bait? 

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:08 AM »
So if I wanted to target musky, it would be smart to use catch some perch in the lake and use as bait?

Actually it says that if you want to catch perch, you can use Musky fry!! That was a joke, or as my father used to say "kidding on the level". Cya....

Offline Snoman2005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #43 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:11 AM »
Disregard...just saw that season ended on 11/30/11 for NY.  May have to still come over for walleye and perch though.

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Dec 29, 2011, 11:41 AM »
Disregard...just saw that season ended on 11/30/11 for NY.  May have to still come over for walleye and perch though.

Tiger Musky open until Mar. 15th.   Basically you catch Musky fishing for Northern Pike-just have a camera with you. Cya...

Offline Snoman2005

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!!!
« Reply #45 on: Dec 29, 2011, 12:18 PM »
Thanks "OneBucket Mike".  Good to know!!!  That is my kind of thinking.  As I release all of them I catch, it shouldn't be a big deal anyway. ;)

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 30, 2011, 03:05 AM »
Looking for a little help from knowledgeable fisherman in area. Was put in charge of securing a lake and lodging for a large group of fisherman for our annual ice fishing excursion. Normally a Thursday thru Sunday trip. Group has averaged 25 to 35 fisherman over the last 15 years.Spent the first 10 years going to Canada(Simcoe & Nippising.) and the last five at New York waters. looking for different waters and accommodations. Anyone have knowledge of accommodations at Oneida,Sandy pond,Chaumont, the finger lakes or Chautauqua lake please drop a line. Maybe a group of cottages or sportaman club

Thanks

Ps:  fishing  preference  (perch,crappie and walleye)

Pss. This question is lake specific,therefore placed in the specific lakes of concern.lodging might not be considered a condition by some, but it will solely determine were our group of 35 spend our vacation fishing.. So for those of you that feel that you  wasted 20 seconds of you life reading this thread save your comments.

Offline nateG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • institutionalized
« Reply #47 on: Dec 30, 2011, 10:04 AM »
Looking for a little help

Webbs in Mayville.
Vexilar Entertainment System

Offline hammer44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 08, 2012, 02:37 PM »
               does anyone  know  if its legal to use lead split shots anymore?I know they dont sell them in N.Y.  but  sometimes  i like to put a split  shot on when fishing deeper water and tackle box full of lead. just want to follow the rules. thanks

Offline fishfry95

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 08, 2012, 03:29 PM »
It's legal to use but not legal to sell anymore.

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 08, 2012, 03:38 PM »
               does anyone  know  if its legal to use lead split shots anymore?I know they dont sell them in N.Y.  but  sometimes  i like to put a split  shot on when fishing deeper water and tackle box full of lead. just want to follow the rules. thanks

Or...you could just go to PA and purchase it there...it is not illegal in PA...yet.

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline dtrain

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 11, 2012, 03:57 PM »
you can buy alternative split shot made from steel. i think little gremlin sells them.

Offline wooly bully

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 18, 2012, 01:25 PM »
I've seen a lot of guys coming off the ice over the years.  Not many of those buckets have eyes in them.  I seem to get a few every year, caught them on the Meadows, off Bemis, and off Long Point.  You'll see them on the flasher; but it's hard to get them to commit.  The crappie seem to be feast of famine.  Perchin is real reliable.

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 18, 2012, 05:37 PM »
Anyone actually been on the ice in the last couple days?  The last time I went was burtis monday night when it started to rain hard.  The ice was about 3" and solid everywhere I went.  The fishing sucked as it often does there but I got my first bullhead on the ice!  Thought I had a nice crappie but it was mr. whiskers.  Hoping something else is solid after this rain-refreeze.  Anyone been out on mayville besides the one dude on the bucket monday afternoon?
130 mile an hour, smiling at the camera with a toothpick in his mouth!

Offline iceman7471

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:02 PM »
Panamaniac::::::Definitely no one out in mayville......I was expecting to see better results today with the cold temps and lack of sun today....but I can only hope that tomorrow morning I find a dream come true....solid ice,,,,shore to shore....leaving friday for a finale for the ice machine!!!!

Offline steel123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:10 PM »
im heading down to my camp friday afternoon or sat (AM), which is 5min from the lake... Is the ice safe at all anywhere besides burtis?? Gotta feeling by sat that lake would be safe all around, but who knows..  MAy have to go back up north fishing, did well over the weekend..(fished eel bay and black lake) Did well on the pike, and got some nice crappies ...
"There's no head like steelhead".. -a wise fisherman

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:50 PM »
Maybe by tomorrow night.  I'll probably go look.

Offline Panamaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:44 PM »
No body out on Mayville friday night.  Didn't get there till about 8pm.  It held me at a whopping at 6' and 175 lbs.  No tracks; no wonder.  I went out until I knew I was over my chest if I went in.  Kicked through about an half inch.  Retreated.  Haven't stepped on anything since then.  Sun. afternoon Barcelona had about 80% chunky ice and 20% open water, Still no signs of life on Mayville so I didn't even stop.  Should have checked Long Point or fished Chautauqua CREEK but didn't.  Heard of a few getting out on long point before the rain.  Both the beach and boat launch/harbor side?   I'm pretty sure most of the north end is not safe at the moment.  If anyone has info on general condition (open water?) it (c)would save me some gas the next couple days. Be safe.

Offline Grizz747

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:18 AM »
I hope to fish Chautaqua this winter.  What are the regs on using a 3 wheeler?

luv2fish2

« Reply #59 on: Jan 25, 2012, 05:41 AM »
registered and insured and a helmet same as on land it's an atv like a four wheeler also rigid tow bar no ropes

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.