Author Topic: Vandalism, burglary and theft!!  (Read 4739 times)

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Vandalism, burglary and theft!!
« on: Aug 16, 2007, 10:29 PM »
  What, do you think?  Is the problem, bigger now, than in the old day's?   ??? 

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Vandalism, burglary and theft!!
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2007, 06:06 AM »
             problem bigger now..my son & a cousin are cops ...some of the storey's are pretty bad.....and it seems alot of kids  are messin up early in life.... kinda sad :'( thats why i like hunting & fishing ....keeps me together with family & friends...  take a kid fishing ....might just help a youngster get through the peer pressure years..... ;D :tipup:

Offline Shantydweller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2007, 07:02 AM »
take a kid fishing

Amen holehog. Getting kids interested in the outdoors can go a long way towards keeping them out of trouble.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2007, 08:54 PM »
   I didn't start this post, to point finger's at who!  Your right, holehawg and Shantydweller, kids are part of the problem, so are persons much older.   :o   Just two questions, that everybody can dwell on. 1. Why does it happen?   ???  2. How to prevent it?    :unsure: :unsure:

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2007, 04:53 AM »
it happens because each generation thinks they figured out what their parents generation did wrong ... there are more experts on any given subject than ever before. yet things still seem to get worse with each generation...solution? no only treatment...take a kid fishing and he will at the very least have something magical to carry with him or her for life, no matter how messed up the rest of the world is at least he or she will have that time that they went fishing with you to reflect on.

Since this post is in the Ice Shack Tips forum im going to assume that the author was referrring to vandalism , burglary and theft of and to ice shantys.burglary and theft are easy problems to fix. I never lock my shanty so no one ever has to break into it, and i never leave anything of value in it when i am not there. vandalism isnt a big problem in my neck of the woods .

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2007, 05:36 AM »
builditrite you nailed it...kinda what i was trying to say in my own messed up way :thumbsup: here in eastern pa ..alot of bored kids whose parents are not really in tune  with their kids seem to be the ones..breaking into the summer cabins/stealing 4 wheelers/etc. just my 2 cents but if ya make alittle time to share with them ..hunting /fishing /sports/music/etc. maybe they will carry themselves more responsibly just my take on this .......

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2007, 08:54 PM »
  Thanks. for the input, billditrite and holehawg!   :)    I've never had any problems, on what I posted! Other's are on the lake are! I'm really trying to make a list of Iceshanty opinion's, on what to do, or not do.
  • 1. Do not lock your shack. This makes a reason to break into it!                                                           
  • 2. Do not lock your shack and cover the windows. Doubles the reason!
  • 3. Do not leave anything, that you want to keep, or would miss. Behind!

• Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
    • Team IceShantyholic
    « Reply #7 on: Aug 19, 2007, 05:24 PM »
    I quit doing the hardside thing, my portable comes home with me every night. If I want a comfy shack to drink and play cards in, I throw one of the local resorts some dough and use one of theirs.

A far as theft, builditrite has her hit on the head! If you don't want the door ripped off, don't lock it. If you don't want it stolen, bring it home. 

It seems that the shacks that are all by themselves in the boonies get hit the most. It seems there is safety in numbers is a shack town. This is doubly true when you get to know the "shack neighbors". Just like at home, the neighbors are more likely to watch you stuff when you drop in from time to time with some brew. ;)

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
    « Reply #8 on: Aug 19, 2007, 05:53 PM »
    Had this happen to a friend , I suggested a trail camera .
    He did use one in a hidden spot with the flash covered and caught who the vandals were .
    He spoke with the district attorney and got them restitoution for the damage and missing items and community service that he suggested for them to have to clean up the ice and parking ares for a few weekends and thats what they ended up getting .

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
    • Team IceShanty Addict
    « Reply #9 on: Aug 19, 2007, 07:35 PM »
     Skipper!   ;)2  1TIGGER! Great idea.   :thumbsup:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
    • Team IceShantyholic
    • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
    « Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2007, 09:24 AM »
    Had this happen to a friend , I suggested a trail camera .
    He did use one in a hidden spot with the flash covered and caught who the vandals were .
    He spoke with the district attorney and got them restitoution for the damage and missing items and community service that he suggested for them to have to clean up the ice and parking ares for a few weekends and thats what they ended up getting .

A friend has never had his shack broken into, but he has a trail cam in it with infra red flash that can't be seen by humans. Me? Mine goes where I go. The only time it stays on the ice is when I do an overnight.
    It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
    • Team IceShanty Addict
    « Reply #11 on: Aug 22, 2007, 09:58 PM »
     In forty plus years, including, fishing with my father. Never, have been broken into.  Entered, yes!  Never locked the shack , left nothing behind!   ::)   I'm asking why, are the (fancy pants shacks) complaining, to me?   ::)   ::)  Or you, when it's obvious!    :-X

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
    • Team IceShantyholic
    • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
    « Reply #12 on: Aug 24, 2007, 12:51 PM »
    I've never had it happen, but if ya pull my door open in the middle of the night you could find a grumpy old coot with a 357 magnum.  My Lab would just try to lick ya to death. lol
    It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
    • Team IceShanty Addict
    « Reply #13 on: Aug 24, 2007, 08:09 PM »
     TWO! Very good way's, to deal with the problem!   ;D   ice dawg.

Offline Shantydweller

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #14 on: Aug 25, 2007, 11:44 AM »
     I do what most of you do, and leave the door unlocked and take my things with me when I go. It's too bad you have to do it, but...... Hehehe, went out to the shanty one day and discovered a feller in my shack. He didn't hurt anything, and I asked him to keep it clean and he could use it when I wasn't there. Saved me from a lot of spudding,lol.

Offline johnnyrottendadto4

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #15 on: Aug 25, 2007, 02:35 PM »
    I lock my door, but my windows are pretty big, so anybody can see that I dont leave anything behind. If it did get broken into the only thing they would get would be some old pans I got from the dumps swap shop, and maybe some frozen butter. I may not have the best stuff in the world but I would like to keep it.

John

Offline putback

• Team IceShanty Regular
    « Reply #16 on: Aug 25, 2007, 07:27 PM »
      What, do you think?  Is the problem, bigger now, than in the old day's?   ??? 
    Yep it is, I was around in the old days. You got caught and justice was immediate, severe, efficient and usually with out "the court". You learned quick. One small example. Those rock salt loads you've heard of, they're real, very very REAL. Unless your an imbecile you will only let the air out of the school bus tires once. I personally haven't done that since 1969! Now up to date. We're the kinda guys the Boy Scouts need. They seem to have folks for the books and inside work. Not enough for the outdoors. I signed up, ice fishing was something few had done, they'd beg to go. May sound corny but it do'es make a difference, I've seen it.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
    « Reply #17 on: Aug 26, 2007, 06:59 AM »
    Yep it is, I was around in the old days. You got caught and justice was immediate, severe, efficient and usually with out "the court". You learned quick. One small example. Those rock salt loads you've heard of, they're real, very very REAL. Unless your an imbecile you will only let the air out of the school bus tires once. I personally haven't done that since 1969! Now up to date. We're the kinda guys the Boy Scouts need. They seem to have folks for the books and inside work. Not enough for the outdoors. I signed up, ice fishing was something few had done, they'd beg to go. May sound corny but it do'es make a difference, I've seen it.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    amen putback.. :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: I've turned a few folks on to hunting & fishing...got good friends & good times out of it...might not solve all the worlds problems...but couldn't hurt... :whistle: :whistle:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
    Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
    © 1996- Iceshanty.com
    All Rights Reserved.