Author Topic: Anyone use Por 15???  (Read 951 times)

Offline jigginrap

• IceShanty Rookie
Anyone use Por 15???
« on: May 17, 2015, 03:55 PM »
Hi guys! I picked up a 10' pop up camper that I just tore down to the frame. Before I start my build, I went through and re-enforced some welds and supports. I'm thinking I should coat the frame with some Por 15 before I start building on it. I've never used the stuff so I'm wondering how much of the stuff I should order to do my 10' frame. They sell them in a 6pk of 4oz cans which may be the way to go cause it sounds like the stuff hardens once you open the can. I was wondering if this was something that I can do over the course of a couple days or do I need to put the Por 15 on right away after I use the degreaser and metal prep? I was hoping to wire brush/wheel all the loose stuff off one day, maybe do the degreaser+metal prep one day, then Por 15 another day?? Maybe I could do half the frame at a time...free time is minimal (2 kids, oldest is 4yrs old!!)... Thanks for any advice or tips!

Offline Big Slabs1982

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Anyone use Por 15???
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 08:08 PM »
I've used it a couple of times, most recently on a 6x10 utility trailer.  I bought a quart and was able to do 2 coats it goes pretty far since it almost has the consistency of water.  You should be fine with your timeline, just if you open a container and don't use all of it place a layer of saran wrap between the can and the lid before you close the container because if you get paint in the grove of the lid you will not get the container open again.  It will basically weld itself shut, it sticks to everything and if you get it on your hands the only thing that takes it off is time. ;)

Offline jigginrap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 07:12 PM »
I ended up getting my frame pretty clean, do I'm kyat gonna spray it with an epoxy primer and top coat

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #3 on: Jun 17, 2015, 08:45 AM »
Great stuff, need to follow instructions for prep very important.
Also it needs to be top coated or it won't last.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.