Author Topic: The warmest ice fishing boots  (Read 55396 times)

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: The warmest ice fishing boots
« Reply #90 on: Dec 02, 2005, 03:11 PM »

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #91 on: Dec 05, 2005, 08:22 AM »
Lacrosse Ice Kings...rated to -125 or so

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Dec 05, 2005, 12:45 PM »
I thought my LaCrosse Ice Kings doing good then I got new liners for them. I can't believe how warm they are now. Best boots ever.

Offline ice hoose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #93 on: Dec 05, 2005, 12:54 PM »
Fishin Willy,instead of spending a lot of money for another pair of boots buy a good battery operated boot heater for your current ones.I've used one that goes inside a pair of ski boots that works extremely well.I had bought a pair of Lacrosse icemans 7yrs ago before they had ice kings.And found like you that after extended periods of standing or sitting on the ice my feet would get cold.So istead of spending another $150 for a better boot I bought the boot heaters for $50 instead.I also have ciculation problems due to diabetes but hav't had anymore cold feet.You can also try bringing a piece of carpet with you and placing it on the ice to form an insulation barrier between your feet and the ice.But if money is no object than there are alot of boots on the market that are rated for -120° and below.Just beware that they are big and bulky.
[/quote

Offline ice hoose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #94 on: Dec 05, 2005, 12:57 PM »
the best boots for the ice in my mind are the white bunny boots. original army issued. fleet farm has them on sale 39.00 hope this helps. ice hoose

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Dec 05, 2005, 01:08 PM »
Fishin Willy,instead of spending a lot of money for another pair of boots buy a good battery operated boot heater for your current ones.I've used one that goes inside a pair of ski boots that works extremely well.I had bought a pair of Lacrosse icemans 7yrs ago before they had ice kings.And found like you that after extended periods of standing or sitting on the ice my feet would get cold.So istead of spending another $150 for a better boot I bought the boot heaters for $50 instead.I also have ciculation problems due to diabetes but hav't had anymore cold feet.You can also try bringing a piece of carpet with you and placing it on the ice to form an insulation barrier between your feet and the ice.But if money is no object than there are alot of boots on the market that are rated for -120° and below.Just beware that they are big and bulky.
[/quote

http://www.lacrossefootwear.com/product_detail.asp?catid=15&prodid=2362

The difference with the Ice Kings is the 1/2" insulation in the sole. The carpet on the ice is a great trick that works wonders. The Ice Kings MSRP is $109. I have seen them for $85 online and cheaper on EBAY.

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #96 on: Dec 05, 2005, 01:54 PM »
If you poke around enough and check in your local footwear stores you may score a deal. I got mine for $65 in NYC of all places. Prolly not stylish enough to move off the shelves, function goes out the window down there. And no they are not chinese knockoffs  :)

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Dec 05, 2005, 02:36 PM »
Just grabbed the LaCrosee Extreme PFT's, hope the cold feet are a thing of the past

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #98 on: Dec 19, 2005, 08:54 AM »
Finaly got the LaCrosse Extreme PFT's in and tried them out this past weekend
cold feet will be a thing of the past with these boots

Offline NewportMe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Dec 22, 2005, 07:41 AM »
I agree with rgfixit alaska and woodman the trans alaksa boots get my vote

Offline BillB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Dec 22, 2005, 11:11 AM »
What do you guys thing of the quality on the LaCrosse's?  Reason I ask is that the Ice Kings I bought last year were made in China.  Upon inspection, I found the quality to be reasonably good.  Guess they have decent quality control at their plant in China.  Not at all like the Sorels I was looking at.  :o  Too bad about Sorel. Use to be a great boot maker.  I took them back to the store and ordered a pair of Made In Canada, Kamiks......

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Dec 22, 2005, 02:12 PM »
I have 3 pairs of LaCrosse boots and love them all
I have not hany problems and they keep the feet warm and dry.

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #102 on: Dec 22, 2005, 05:27 PM »
the la crosse icemans are my boots of choice. have had the same pair for 16 years with the original liners and they still keep my feet warm. no wear on the bottoms. good product, excellent quality.

HIMO
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Dec 23, 2005, 08:08 AM »
One nice thing about the Ice Kings is the price. For the money you will not find a warmer boot.

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #104 on: Dec 28, 2005, 11:18 AM »
Rocky ice stalkers  even have built in cleats... $130 on sale at dicks...  1000gr thinsulate :-) -moose
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Offline PigShanks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #105 on: Dec 28, 2005, 12:41 PM »
Cabelas Predator Pac Boots get my vote. Was a diehard Sorel user until I was talked into trying these. I thought that when the toes started to get cold you just walked around a bit until they warmed up in the Sorels, but the Cabelas Predator Pac Boots don't even let your toes get cold.  :bow:

Offline FWFeecherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!
« Reply #106 on: Dec 29, 2005, 10:36 PM »
I've only been seriously ice fishing for about three years and last year I bought a pair of Mickeys and they are the best purchase I have made for ice fishing so far.  I put on a pair of tube socks and my feet haven't gotten cold yet whether I am moving around or just sitting.  I will say they are not the most comfortable boot though.  My feet tend to be sore the following day.  They can be slick too if the ice is without snow.  Just my two cents.   Tight Lines and Screamin Drags to Ya!!!!

Offline mccabedoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #107 on: Dec 30, 2005, 06:51 AM »
My LaCrosse Ice Kings are seriously warm boots. I got them last year for Christmas after owning a pair of Sorel Superiors for 18 years. The Sorels were good boots, but after time, even with copuous amounts of Sno Seal, they were no longer waterproof and my feet were getting cold even with new liners.  Thus, they were mercifully retired.

The Ice Kings are a bit bulky (like most decent pac boots) but at temps above 20 degrees, with just one pair of cotton sox, my feet actually get TOO warm. Nice problem to have. So if size and weight is not an issue, the Ice Kings are a nice warm boot.

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Dec 30, 2005, 10:55 PM »
A good bet is looking online. I recently purchased a pair of new Browning pacs, a discontinued model, with 800 grams of thinsulate for $29. However, I have not field tested them as I am awaiting their arrival. I have bought several pairs of work boots from this outlet and have not been disappointed. For a poor man's budget they make good sense.

...Hmph, I been settin' so long my old behinder is stiff..." Doig's Grandma

Offline unoman

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Dec 31, 2005, 11:49 AM »
Trans alaska from cabelas are the warmest boot I have ever owned....drawback is that they are bulkier than most but weight is not bad....hard to fit ice grips on them though...for what its worth on the same topic, the Cabelas trans alaska extreme one piece suit is extremely warm,,,,what a find these two items were for me...never a chill.... :-X

Offline Fingerlakes Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
  • She thinks my shanty's sexy
« Reply #110 on: Dec 31, 2005, 05:54 PM »
Has anyone tried Baffin Boots?  They are a Canadian company.  Found them at Dicks.  I bought a pair today as they seemed really warm.  Have not field tested them yet but they are real cozy.  They are rated for -70C. 

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Jan 01, 2006, 03:40 PM »
Cabelas Snow Squall...1200 gr ....good to -135...second year on them...super warm!

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #112 on: Jan 04, 2006, 08:59 AM »
LaCrosse Exterem PFT's
Rated for -150 VERY comfortable and VERY warm

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Jan 06, 2006, 11:19 PM »
Has anyone tried Baffin Boots?  They are a Canadian company.  Found them at Dicks.  I bought a pair today as they seemed really warm.  Have not field tested them yet but they are real cozy.  They are rated for -70C. 

I would take them back before you even use them. I have pair and they are the worst pair of boots I have ever owned. They feel cozy because of the big spongy liners. The liners act like one big sponge absorbing all your sweat without wicking it away from your foot, my boots leak like crazy and once again the liners are nothing more than a sponge soaking up as much water as they can. If that isn't bad enough the liners take forever to dry compared to felt liners used in sorels. And to top that off the stiching is all pulling apart. I only use mine for a spare pair of boots to keep in the truck "just in case." Trust me TAKE THEM BACK I would stick with sorels if you want a fabric pack boot or La crosse if you are looking for the leather upper/rubber bottom style. I sure wish Sorel didn't sell out to Columbia and quite making thier high end leather upper pacs.

Jeremy

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Jan 07, 2006, 07:12 AM »
Just because a pair of boots is rated for -70 doesn't mean they're going to keep your feet warm all day.  These are rated for -65 for 8 hours.  I've seen Baffin boots and they don't look like much.  If you're going to go ice fishing and want to be comfortable spend the money... if you don't have it then save up or watch the thrift shops and yard sales like a hawk.  I got 2 pair of these for $10 /pair  ($400 value) at a garage sale in the middle of summer. (Just like with the snowshoes, off season can mean a baragin).
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Jan 07, 2006, 07:58 AM »
LaCrosse Exterem PFT's
Rated for -150 VERY comfortable and VERY warm
tats what i bought this year ,my feet are allways cold even at home. i did a lot of reserch and even called lacrosse to find out about the warmest boot they make,they told me about the extreme pft's i am so glad i got them.  ican even put them on cold and there warm in no time and they have vents in bottom so you don,t get all sweaty killer boots if i have to buy another i would by them again. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #116 on: Jan 07, 2006, 06:19 PM »
For my money  the LaCrosse Ice Kings can not be beaten. Yes they are bulky and clunky but they are the best boots I have ever had in the 40 plus years I have been dragging my weary old Scottish butt out on the ice and here in NE Wis. it does get coooooooooooooooold. :tipup:
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline novice2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Jan 10, 2006, 12:26 PM »
I have the LaCrosse Ice Kings as well.  They are incredibly warm and comfortable.  My feet are never cold.  It will tire you out though if you need to walk any distance in them through the snow.  They're heavy.

Offline Slowbago01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #118 on: Jan 11, 2006, 02:29 PM »
Cabelas Predator Extreme - the best ice fishing boot ever!

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #119 on: Jan 11, 2006, 05:56 PM »
ifishi
I am so glad I bought the LaCrosse Extreme PFT's
Cold feet are a thing of the past
They are broken in now and are just like LARGE warm slippers.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.