The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: What would you guys do?? (long)  (Read 9019 times)

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
Re: What would you guys do?? (long)
« Reply #30 on: Feb 27, 2008, 05:04 PM »
If thats true at the very most they were near ONE TIPUP,if you cant handle a group near ONE tipup,move it.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 27, 2008, 06:20 PM »
Point is if your getting **censored** about people using PUBLIC PROPERTY because they are too close to YOUR SPOT you are going to be a very agrivated person,fishing and hunting is very popular right now and nobody has the right to lay claim to any public spots.If you are going to leave your gear out unattended its going to get messed with.If you cant prove someione did something you better not confront them,you have no idea who you may be accusing and it could turn into a s^&%v storm real quick,especially when you are accusing someones children,if you came up to me with accusations and I wasnt involved you better have your big boy pants on.Then you come here and b***h about it,what do you want to hear?You cant prove anyone did anything and if they did tip your flags big friggen deal,all your gear was still there,you got off easy.WTH should they have to relocate,they wernt breaking any laws,I dont think he even had a problem with them until he suspected them of messing with his gear,gear that was left out overnight and could have been messed with by any number of passers by.I dont understand why anyone thinks they should be given a wide berth after they set up a 2 mile long set regardless of the size of the lake,its not your property dont act like it is,those pepole setting up near you would have no effect on your fishing and you know it.Get my point?Is that clear enough for you?It would be like setting up decoys down 2 miles of river on public ground and then getting pissed when a fellow hunter sets up on a island a mile up river from your blind,then a few of your decoys float on down the river so you confront the fellow hunters children about it and then b***h about the river being 1200 miles long so they should go to another spot.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #32 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:43 PM »
Does your mommy know your on the internet? ::)

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 27, 2008, 07:58 PM »
Simple minds think alike. ::)

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:35 PM »
I would never have left tip ups unattended at night. It's unethical and I believe illegal.  There are many visual and aural alarms available for tip ups.  And its not so hard to look outside with a flash light if you're not willing to buy those.

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:40 PM »
Point is if your getting **censored** about people using PUBLIC PROPERTY because they are too close to YOUR SPOT you are going to be a very agrivated person,fishing and hunting is very popular right now and nobody has the right to lay claim to any public spots.If you are going to leave your gear out unattended its going to get messed with.If you cant prove someione did something you better not confront them,you have no idea who you may be accusing and it could turn into a s^&%v storm real quick,especially when you are accusing someones children,if you came up to me with accusations and I wasnt involved you better have your big boy pants on.Then you come here and b***h about it,what do you want to hear?You cant prove anyone did anything and if they did tip your flags big friggen deal,all your gear was still there,you got off easy.WTH should they have to relocate,they wernt breaking any laws,I dont think he even had a problem with them until he suspected them of messing with his gear,gear that was left out overnight and could have been messed with by any number of passers by.I dont understand why anyone thinks they should be given a wide berth after they set up a 2 mile long set regardless of the size of the lake,its not your property dont act like it is,those pepole setting up near you would have no effect on your fishing and you know it.Get my point?Is that clear enough for you?It would be like setting up decoys down 2 miles of river on public ground and then getting **censored** when a fellow hunter sets up on a island a mile up river from your blind,then a few of your decoys float on down the river so you confront the fellow hunters children about it and then b***h about the river being 1200 miles long so they should go to another spot.
Does Your Mommy know You use such foul language.  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap: :whistle: :woot: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:48 PM »
I would never have left tip ups unattended at night. It's unethical and I believe illegal.  There are many visual and aural alarms available for tip ups.  And its not so hard to look outside with a flash light if you're not willing to buy those.
Where are You from Andercee? If You are in Montana get out the regulations manual and read the part about fishing lines can be left out if they are checked at least once every 24 hours and they must have the owners name and address on them or else the fishing license no. and also as stated earlier in this post it IS ILLEGAL for anyone else to tamper with somone elses lines and F.W.P. game wardens just love it when they catch someone in the act of violating this rule.If You and Your wife have lines out and Your wife is not with You and they catch You checking one of Her sets it will be a big fine for You.

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:54 PM »
Allright, maybe it's not illegal but I consider it unethical.  Many other states have laws saying the tip ups must be attended and within 200 feet of you.  And that is in an area where there is a vast amount of hard water available. 

"When a line is used through the ice, the angler need not be in immediate
control, but must be in the vicinity and in visual contact with the line." Page 48

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Feb 27, 2008, 08:58 PM »
Allright, maybe it's not illegal but I consider it unethical.  Many other states have laws saying the tip ups must be attended and within 200 feet of you.  And that is in an area where there is a vast amount of hard water available. 
Explain unethical please.  ???

Offline Jack Ryan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 27, 2008, 11:13 PM »
If you leave your gear out and it happens again you have nobody to blame but yourself,in this day and age nothing is safe.I learne this lesson the hard way,decoys,fishing gear,stereo equipment,hunting gear,traps,nothing is safe from the *****s that call themselves hunters and fisherman these days.

Bullchips. The thief is still to blame. He's the theif and it's still his fault he's a theif and he's liable for a good stomping if he get's caught. Your arguement is just exactly the arguement low life theives use when they are stealing from some one to justify it to them selves.
"Be the one you want to catch"

Offline naschafe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Feb 28, 2008, 08:56 AM »

"When a line is used through the ice, the angler need not be in immediate
control, but must be in the vicinity and in visual contact with the line." Page 48

Here are the Regs.  Read all statements before you post untrue things.

Ice Fishing
Lakes, Reservoirs, Rivers and Streams
• 6 lines with 2 hooks per line through the ice. When a line is used through the ice,
the angler need not be in immediate control but must be in the vicinity and in visual
contact with the line unless they are used as setlines. See regulations for Setlines
below.
Setlines
• Number of lines is the same as for Hook and Line Limits. Setlines may be used in all
waters unless prohibited in the District Exceptions to Standard Regulations.
• Setlines (unattended lines) must be checked by the owner at least once every 24 hrs.
• The angler’s name and phone number or name and 9/10-digitALS#must be attached
to each setline.
• Setlines shall not be attached to jugs or other floating devices.

pg.79

It is sad this post has come to this.  People getting all worked up........  Please make it stop :) 

Offline naschafe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 28, 2008, 09:00 AM »
Simple facts.

Walltrout did nothing illegal.
The other people may or may not have done anything illegal.
Lakes are public property.
It is illegal to steal or mess with others equipment.
People have disagreeing opinions how how close is to close to set up.

There is no reason to take it any further. 

Name calling and hate is not what this site is all about. 

I wish people would devote as much time to report on other lakes, as they do to this post.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #42 on: Feb 28, 2008, 09:10 AM »
i had a guy spud his hole right next to one of my tip-ups last week. it took alot to not flip out. i did say something at the end of the day. didn't bother him a bit. he only gets one chance with me. next time his spud goes in the drink!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #43 on: Feb 28, 2008, 12:22 PM »
Can't we ALL just get along!

:-X :-X :-X

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Mar 03, 2008, 11:41 PM »
Here's an email I received from FWP concerning setlines.  In short the legality depends on where you are fishing. This statement cleared it up for myself and should help anyone else who is not familiar with the subject.

"We will try to clear up your valid questions on the fishing regulations here but feel free to call or write if you need more clarifications.  The general regulations for fishing is that the rod (s) must be in immediate control.  The commission authorizes a little more leeway when it comes to ice fishing and recommends you be in visual control.  The question you have as to are tip-ups considered a setline actually depends on what the tip up is used for.  If the body of water allows setlines such as the lower Missouri River or Fort Peck Dredge cuts, you could put out tip-ups and leave them overnight.  If the water allows lines through the ice and they must be in visual contact with them, then of course you may not leave them unattended.  The general regulations on say the central fishing district under ice fishing says, When a line is used through the ice, the angler need not be in immediate control, but must be in the vicinity and in visual contact with the line.  So, in a nut shell, look at the general regulations,  then the district regulations and finally the exceptions to the certain bodies of water you are going to fish.  If the body of water you are fishing on has exceptions, then they are the regs for that body.  If the regs have no exceptions to that body of water, you revert to the district (as in Central, Western, Eastern).  If you still are unaware of the regulations and the body of water you will be fishing on  I would recommend you call the local FWP officer or game warden.  Sorry for the lengthy reply and hope this clears it up for you.  Good luck fishing but of course be careful of late winter ice."

Mike Mehn
Enforcement
FWP Fishing

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Mar 04, 2008, 03:12 PM »
Andercee,

As it has been said over and over by several members of this board, it is 100% legal to leave 6 tipup lines with up to 2 hooks on the ice overnight on Ft. Peck. 

There is no reason to discuss the legality of this anymore. 

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #46 on: Mar 04, 2008, 04:32 PM »
"When a line is used through the ice, the angler need not be in immediate control, but must be in the vicinity and in visual contact with the line."
So you can or can not leave them out over night out of your sight?

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Mar 04, 2008, 04:41 PM »

From the Eastern District Regs.

"When a line is used through the ice, the angler need not be in immediate control, but must be in the vicinity and in visual contact with the line."
So you can or can not leave them out over night out of your sight?

Ice Fishing
Lakes, Reservoirs, Rivers and Streams
• 6 lines with 2 hooks per line through the ice. When a line is used through the ice,
the angler need not be in immediate control but must be in the vicinity and in visual
contact with the line unless they are used as setlines. See regulations for Setlines
below.

Setlines
• Number of lines is the same as for Hook and Line Limits. Setlines may be used in all
waters unless prohibited in the District Exceptions to Standard Regulations.
• Setlines (unattended lines) must be checked by the owner at least once every 24 hrs.
• The fisherman’s name and phone number or 9/10-digit ALS# must be attached to
each line.
• Setlines shall not be attached to jugs or other floating devices.

"Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after." - Henry David Thoreau

"If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads, you're doing something wrong."  John Giera

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Mar 04, 2008, 04:47 PM »
The eastern district regs are different from the western and central.

Western District does not allow set lines period.

Central only allows them in certain water bodies.

Eastern allows them in all water bodies unless specifically prohibited.

Hope that clears up some confusion.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #49 on: Mar 04, 2008, 05:00 PM »
Yep,Thanx.

Offline Walltrout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Mar 04, 2008, 05:22 PM »
My bad.... I'm an idiot....

Offline naschafe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Mar 05, 2008, 01:09 PM »
wow, that was a lot of work to get that cleared up.  Good team effort. 

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Mar 05, 2008, 01:29 PM »
wow, that was a lot of work to get that cleared up.  Good team effort. 
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :clap: :clap: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.