Author Topic: Good thermos  (Read 4398 times)

Offline tomturkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Good thermos
« Reply #60 on: Jan 11, 2015, 11:28 AM »
Nothing but a Stanley!!!

Guaranteed for life. A couple years ago I gave up on the one I bought in the summer of 1966. It was probably the only design screw up by Stanley. The stopper was held in by the cap with just an O ring to seal it. Was always leaking. I had bought a replacement.

In around 2012  I saw it in a closet in the basement. I knew about the guarantee so I called them. I had a hard time convincing the gal that the thermos was so old it did not have a code number on the bottom. They send me a new Stanley free of charge.

I wonder what they would do about the two that I got in a box of junk at an auction. They have to be from the 40's at least. One is a 2 quart.

I think that the failure of a Stanley is caused by the steel around the base cap and the shell rust out and allow air to get in between the shell and the base cap losing the vacuum insulating property. I know that water was getting in the vacuum space on the one I bought in 1966.

Offline Dinosaur1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 11, 2015, 11:44 AM »
WOAH THERE!  A lighter brew?  My friend, if my tungsten jigs float on the surface of my coffee then I know I've got it just about right...

I had two uncles, one liked his coffee about the consistancy of roofing tar and the other considerably lighter. They had an old tin thermos and took turns making the brew. One day while out fishing the one that liked the lighter looked inside the old tin thermos and noticed the finish was gone. He said, "Well, Butch, I'm galvanized to my a$$hole. I think we better get one of them new glass bottles." That's the story they told anyways.

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Jan 11, 2015, 02:46 PM »

I had two uncles, one liked his coffee about the consistancy of roofing tar and the other considerably lighter. They had an old tin thermos and took turns making the brew. One day while out fishing the one that liked the lighter looked inside the old tin thermos and noticed the finish was gone. He said, "Well, Butch, I'm galvanized to my a$$hole. I think we better get one of them new glass bottles." That's the story they told anyways.

Absolutely cracking up right now!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #63 on: Jan 11, 2015, 05:00 PM »
Stanley!

End of story.

Rg
Agreed!
Fish on!

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Jan 11, 2015, 05:53 PM »
i can't stand stainless steel thermos. the stainless changes the flavor and can't keep fluid as hot as glass.
look for glass lined.

I would rather taste stainless flavored coffee than glass shards. :o

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 11, 2015, 06:08 PM »
I had an old Stanley that lasted for a couple of decades.  One morning during a duck hunt, my coffee was cold after only a couple of hours.  Then I noticed charcoal in the sink when I cleaned it.  The leak was on the outside where the handle attached.  It broke the vacuum seal.  So, I called them, gave them the code number and they sent me a new one.  I didn't have to send the old one back, so I compared them and noticed the new one weighed about half as much.  It also felt more tinny, seemed more cheaply constructed and said "Made in China".  But ya know what? It works just as well, at least for now.  If it only lasts for a year or two, I will just send it back.  In the mean time, I may start looking on Ebay for a vintage stanley.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.