Author Topic: DIY Jaw Jacker  (Read 171351 times)

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: DIY Jaw Jacker
« Reply #30 on: Nov 21, 2014, 10:20 PM »
Here is mine.  I made mine from the design of what my friends have been using for years.  I have had mine for a couple of years.  this picture is from a trip 2 years ago.  It uses a 36 inch med heavy rod.  It gets a good hook set.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #31 on: Nov 27, 2014, 08:26 AM »
I have made four different types of hook setting devices here are my versions of the slammer and the jawjacker.

I also make my own hole covers for our extreme Saskatchewan winters out of black puzzle mat.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline anglure

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Nov 27, 2014, 09:21 AM »
  Great homemade Jawjackers guys !! Thanks for all the ideas and photos.  Some very impressive and simple lookin release mechanisms to boot !! :thumbsup:   

Offline blitzfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, forced to work.
« Reply #33 on: Nov 27, 2014, 11:46 PM »
Ive made several like IDBasser, but i really like anglerbrian's design. How much did that cost you?
Live to fish.

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #34 on: Nov 28, 2014, 06:44 AM »
Ive made several like IDBasser, but i really like anglerbrian's design. How much did that cost you?
none of mine cost much. The jawjacker imitation was$3.00 for the coil rod holder. The scrap pine and maple 1x4 I had laying around. The metal brackets for the trigger mechanism come from an old door closer in my junk bin. For the metal rod I used one of the hold down stakes for outside christmas lawn ornaments. It is a little heavier than coat hanger wire but still bendable.. I soldered a small piece of coat hanger to this where the loop that attaches to the rod goes. This prevents the loop from sliding too far down and getting stuck. The loops I make out of plastic coated wire leaders 30#. Just tie an overhand knot to create the loop and pull tight with pliers. Someone that is good with metal could probably build their own brackets or come up with something better. I just look at what I have laying around and try to come up with something that might work. This one even surprised me with how well it works.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline kidretro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!
« Reply #35 on: Nov 29, 2014, 08:35 PM »
My version....gonna get a better rod!

Offline kidretro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!
« Reply #36 on: Nov 29, 2014, 08:37 PM »

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Nov 29, 2014, 08:50 PM »
Looks great.
<===Lefty===

Offline kidretro

• IceShanty Rookie
  • have a crappie day!
« Reply #38 on: Nov 29, 2014, 08:58 PM »
thanks! that rod is 24" ultra light. i want to use a 28" medium light!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #39 on: Nov 30, 2014, 01:05 AM »
Compact and thought out.     ;)2

I have yet to use a rod over 78"  with any of my home built parabolic-rod-bow, fish fired hook setters.

My fav is a one foot 1X4 with an ice anchor  rearward of the mounted rod holder and an adjustable non-stretch line to the trigger that fits a small clip off the tip-top guide brace and a foot or two of slack line held down with bright trail-tape between the first two guides ahead of the reel. Got that ?
 Easy to grasp if you just draw a side view on paper.  And, if the rod holder is threaded, just screw it in the ice and burn the 1X4, ha. So simple.      :woot:

Some day, I may hook a big fish that puts me on my knees, but it hasn't happened in all these many years, so, the 5" hole is plenty, ha.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Dec 03, 2014, 08:34 AM »
I added a little piece of 2x4 to mine the other day. This keeps it from tipping over if it misses a fish. I also bent the rod holder down so the pole doesn't come out real easy.

Those are wood Staples holding it down and I also have in the picture my longer rod holder with a shorter rod. If I put the longer rod in there is bends more. Same if I put this rod in the other rod holder it would bend more. I can trip this and the rod stay's in the holder and it doesn't tip over.
<===Lefty===

Offline Glowjigger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 12, 2015, 02:02 AM »
Thanks for posting all of these great ideas everyone. Thanks for the red wire rod holder idea lefty. I saw your version on the first page of this tread and immediately made one almost the same way. I used a piece of fly line to hold the rod in place and a piece of fencing wire for the trigger. I was just testing it out in the kitchen and got concerned about the entire setup being tipped over and also the pole popping out of the holder. It looks like you have solved those problems with your latest version. How has it been working for you? I can't wait to give it a try.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Jan 12, 2015, 06:59 AM »
Well I have done a couple of improvements on it. First I smashed in the 2 contact points to the rod holder so the rod doesn't fly out of it. Then I cut an 2x4 8" long and attached it to the front for weight and stability. Wont tip over. Here is the finished product. Attached with Fence Staples pre-drilled with a small bit.
<===Lefty===

Offline Zube

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 12, 2015, 10:04 AM »

Here are some we made a couple of weeks ago to use for lake trout . They worked very well and are cheap to make .

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #44 on: Jan 29, 2015, 12:07 PM »
Nice job on everyone's creativity. Here is my configuration...

Chasing Ice

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #45 on: Jan 29, 2015, 12:31 PM »
Those are the nicest I've seen. Great work and workmanship.
<===Lefty===

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #46 on: Jan 29, 2015, 02:52 PM »
Nice to see the beauty of oak, NHHARDWATER !      :bow:

A couple of questions, if I may ?       ???

Does your 'rod holder' have indexing notches or depend on wing-nut tension ?

Does your trigger set in the 'tip-top' eyelet of the rod ?

Thanks.      ;)2

Offline Bladik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 29, 2015, 03:16 PM »
After making oh about 10 different ones last year made of wood and PVC I ended up with this simple one.

Does that stay put aftet the set or do you have to pack it with slush to hold it down?

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #48 on: Jan 29, 2015, 03:21 PM »
Glad to hear the great compliments on these. Thanks guys.

The rod holder doesn't have indexing notches yet, but it will by this weekend. It currently depends on the wing-nut tension (which holds okay) along with the reel resting on the base. It works good, but could be improved with the advent of the pin and notch deal. (upgrading this soon)

The trip wire is now being held by a small split ring I installed onto the side of the tip eye. Using the tip eyelet originally, didn't seem to bother the line during the testing, but I would hate to have it happen when it counts, so I did put the split ring on to play it safe.

Thanks again for the comments. These were made from stuff I have hoarded over the years. Each is made from two 12" lengths of oak flooring (one cut into three strips) some 1" sq. aluminum tube, 1.5" copper pipe and some misc. hardware kicking around the shop.
Chasing Ice

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #49 on: Jan 29, 2015, 03:45 PM »
Ah yes, NHHARDWATER, handy work from hoarding ~ I resemble that.    :woot: :thumbsup:

In fact, I can't even fathom what could result from my "Junk Box",   LOL.

Offline NHHARDWATER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • -Aaron-
« Reply #50 on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:02 PM »
I can't even fathom what could result from my "Junk Box",   LOL.
:woot: You're not kiddn Idaho. I am willing to bet, that out of my junk drawer, I could whip up something to make the snuggie look like an "As seen on TV" gimick :bow:... Oh, wait.
Chasing Ice

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #51 on: Jan 29, 2015, 04:28 PM »
Does that stay put aftet the set or do you have to pack it with slush to hold it down?
I added a 12" piece of 2x4 on the front of it to keep it stable. I plan on changing that though to something simple.
<===Lefty===

Offline Zube

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 30, 2015, 01:33 PM »
We use a mono loop around then end of the rod and run it out the top eye so the trigger hooks to the loop instead of the eye on rod . Kinda like the loops that come with the jaw jackers

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.