Author Topic: Pike steaks  (Read 4136 times)

Offline saskman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team CanAm
Pike steaks
« on: Jan 27, 2007, 04:21 PM »
how does one go about making steaks from a pike?
go to taxidermy, mount it on the wall

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Pike steaks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2007, 05:40 PM »
We steak them by laying them down belly down. Then make 1" to 1-1/2" cuts at right angles to the backbone. Cut through the backbone and there you go. I use a cleaver for this. We only do that with larger fish we keep say. 32" to 35" that are bleeding to bad to release. They are good broiled on the grill that way or any other way you like them. Below is a definition I found on the net. Hope this gives you an idea.
Steaking
A large fish is often cut across the body into thick steaks. First, clean the fish and skin or scale it. Usually, a fish is scaled only if the scales make it difficult to cut the steaks. Before steaking, chill the fish or put it in a freezer until it is partly stiff.

For most fish, cut through the body, working from the tail toward the head. Make each steak from 1/2-inch to 1-inch thick. After steaking, trim away any belly fat or bones that you can see, but not the backbone.

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2007, 07:05 PM »
We steak them by laying them down belly down. Then make 1" to 1-1/2" cuts at right angles to the backbone. Cut through the backbone and there you go. I use a cleaver for this. We only do that with larger fish we keep say. 32" to 35" that are bleeding to bad to release. They are good broiled on the grill that way or any other way you like them. Below is a definition I found on the net. Hope this gives you an idea.
Steaking
A large fish is often cut across the body into thick steaks. First, clean the fish and skin or scale it. Usually, a fish is scaled only if the scales make it difficult to cut the steaks. Before steaking, chill the fish or put it in a freezer until it is partly stiff.

For most fish, cut through the body, working from the tail toward the head. Make each steak from 1/2-inch to 1-inch thick. After steaking, trim away any belly fat or bones that you can see, but not the backbone.

pretty good descripiton there, clean the fish's guts out, cut off the fins, lay on the belly, cut downward every 1"-1.5", then cut off and discard head
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2007, 04:47 AM »
pretty good descripiton there, clean the fish's guts out, cut off the fins, lay on the belly, cut downward every 1"-1.5", then cut off and discard head
Pikemaster,we better say here that you can lay them on their side also.  ;D  Anyone laying them on their belly knows that sometime when you sever the backbone, which sometimes needs a good whack, with the head on or off, that fish will slap you back and scare the h*ll out of ya. I don't know what kind of reflex that is but I'm here to tell ya, look out! Now when I have to steak a big one I use a fillet knife to slice the intended steaks, and then use a roofers ax and tap with a hammer through the backbone. Clean and easy. Beats the cleaver. You earn your steaks, if you survive it.  :roflmao:

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2007, 06:19 AM »
Pikemaster,we better say here that you can lay them on their side also.  ;D  Anyone laying them on their belly knows that sometime when you sever the backbone, which sometimes needs a good whack, with the head on or off, that fish will slap you back and scare the h*ll out of ya. I don't know what kind of reflex that is but I'm here to tell ya, look out! Now when I have to steak a big one I use a fillet knife to slice the intended steaks, and then use a roofers ax and tap with a hammer through the backbone. Clean and easy. Beats the cleaver. You earn your steaks, if you survive it.  :roflmao:

lol yea they will slap back pretty good, but I rather get slapped in the stomach sideways, than in the face when they are on their side.

plus I usually wait until the pike is dead
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2007, 06:59 AM »
plus I usually wait until the pike is dead
with the head on or off, that fish will slap you back and scare the h*ll out of ya. I don't know what kind of reflex that is but I'm here to tell ya, look out!
Pikemaster, if the head is off, I consider it dead! The fish will not agree with this by reaching out and touching you. Had it happen several times. Crazy, beware.  :roflmao:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.