Author Topic: What's the biggest  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
What's the biggest
« on: Dec 13, 2005, 06:23 PM »
northern pike to come from the Mat-Su area?  I've heard rumors but nothin concrete or first hand.  If your up to the body of water it came from would be interesting as well-don't think there are any "secret spots" in this area-I may be wrong though. 

Called F&G on this topic, their thoughts on size were; Anch- up to 18", Nancy lakes-up to 35".  Trapper lake use to produce 40+" fish before taking it out of trophy pike status and the west Mat-Su lakes (Figure Eight, Flat Horn and Alexander ect.) same as Nacy lakes with the exeption of Alexander which is a well known hotspot for 40+" northerns.  I was surprised that the area doesn't have larger Pike, could it be because by-n-large it's a catch-n-kill by the truck load fishery?

Amber might be a sleeper, Redshirt is large enough that you aren't going to killem all but Trapper, by the depth and structure of the lake does seem like it could be over fished in short order.  I will be punching holes in the ice on Fire, So. Rolly and possibly Redshirt over the next couple of weeks.  I'm very interested in your comments on this fishery.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
Re: What's the biggest
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2005, 11:26 PM »
Redshirt! nudge nudge...... ;)
TEAM ALASKA

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2005, 11:39 PM »
Griz,

I tried last year a couple of times for pike on Fire Lake.  The closest I came was an 18" rainbow with a fresh pike bite.  Judging by the width of the the bite mark (about 2 1/2 inches) I would have guessed the pike to be at least 20-25 inches in length.  I plan on going out there again myself a few more times this year.  We did very well on the rainbows.  We landed quite a few over 20" using a weighted egg sucking leech about 12 inches under a size 000 herring dodger.

Icy Mike

Offline alaskanate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2005, 03:46 AM »
Where do you guys go on fire lake? iv heard over by island is pretty good. iv only fished it from the shore and caught a few hammer handel pike.

Let me know if ya dont mind another guy tagging along, always up to meet new people!

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2005, 04:14 AM »
Thanks for the replies guy's. 

Icy Mike, I thought there should be pike bigger than 18" in Fire-I've seen pic's of pike in that 20"-25" range ;), don't think ADF&G is too worried about the size of pike in Fire lake.

Barleydog,  sometimes I need a nudge in the right direction-Thanks!

alaskanate,  My Wife has been whittling away at my fishing time, sooo what was two whole days is now a 1/2 day of fishing, aw I'm soft and it's Christmas and she'll be shopping for me (hope).  Anyway I'm planning on Friday morning on Fire lake, my 3 yr old will be my pard so it isn't going to be a grinder. Your more than welcome to meet up with me or just show up at the lake n look for a bigun and a littleun.  Oh It's going to be my first time at Fire in over 20yrs so we will both be learning.

-Grizz

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2005, 10:18 PM »
Good luck on Fire lake Grizz!  Hope your youngen has a great time, and don't forget the hot coco!!! :D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2005, 12:19 AM »
Nate and Grizz-

when you park at the public access you will see a modern style tan colored house with a flat roof.  Try in front of it.  I did well on the rainbows there last year.  4-8 feet of water.  Use a herring dodger or big spoon to attract them in if the fishing is slow.

Icy Mike

Offline chef viktor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 16, 2005, 10:40 AM »
I live at the north end of fire lake. From what I have seen fishing it the last 20 year sis the island is very good for smaller silvers and rainbow. Near the public access to the right of the culvert is good for rainbows. Be careful with your child near the culvert the ice near here often stays very thin and some times open water is present. The pike appear to like the weed beds and logs near the flat roof house on the East side near the old Glen highway. There is also a small slough type creek that comes through just a few hundred feet from the flat roof house. You can see this open up in spring and watch it freeze this time of year. Again I would carefully check the ice level near that area. I was a solid 10 inches last week but it has been warm and the ice is not as thick near that area. I am going to fish this lake on Sunday if we do not get enough snow to go into igure eight. Hvae fun with your boy!

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 16, 2005, 06:24 PM »
Well went to Fire lake and boy was it a mess, standing water and could see a small spring opening up-anyway no place for a 3 yr old to be.  Headed back to ol anchortown to hit a little lake there and started to punch a hole, wouldn't you know it was just spinning not digging ::).  Looked at my blades and they were buggered up-headed back to the house, stoned the blades and my boy crashed out.  Maybe another day :-\

-Grizz

Offline alaskanate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 17, 2005, 12:50 AM »
sorry i didnt make it out there grizz! had a bunch of stuff to do for a x-mas party im going to tomorrow. were was the spring opeing up at?

Let me know if ya want to bring the kid out here some other time, we could fish beach lake, mirror lake, or edmonds lake. all have lots of fish most small but they bite bare hooks. would be fun for the little one....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.