Author Topic: bigger bait bigger fish?  (Read 6514 times)

Offline WeponsOfBassDestruction

• IceShanty Rookie
bigger bait bigger fish?
« on: Jan 12, 2007, 04:42 PM »
is it better to have bigger sized shiners or smaller sized? i know that "big bait = big fish" but didn't know if i would catch only small junk fish all day if i used small bait.
removed

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: bigger bait bigger fish?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2007, 06:28 PM »
in my opinion yes if there biting on minnows seems that bigger fish like the bigger bait and if i fish with smaller minnows i catch the smaller fish.

Offline BassHouse

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:43 PM »
I always use bigger bait.  With all the money, effort, and time we spend on fishing, I just feel your coming up short if you don't use larger bait.  I know a lot of folks have caught fish with small bait, but unless you are going for perch or panfish it just doesn't make sense to me.  Plus you don't waste as much bait because the small fry's stay away.  I also think the larger minnows are more robust and can take more of a beating.  I can't tell you how many times I have been right next to other guys fishing and while they seem to be getting a lot more flags, they rarely pull up anything decent. And let me tell you, when one of my flags go up I am running to it because there's a good chance it's something big.  Big Bait=Big Fish 

Offline blaster22077

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2007, 08:31 PM »
I was using big bait today and got a bass around 4lb.

Offline Scientist

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2007, 05:23 PM »
I do a mix of both small and large. The majority is larger bait to avoid the smaller fish.  :tipup:
breathing in, breathing out..this is life is all about ...We change when we start to make of life what we want.

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2007, 12:35 PM »
in my opinion yes if there biting on minnows seems that bigger fish like the bigger bait and if i fish with smaller minnows i catch the smaller fish.

your avatar is insane. how much that ski weigh?

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2007, 09:06 AM »
is it better to have bigger sized shiners or smaller sized? i know that "big bait = big fish" but didn't know if i would catch only small junk fish all day if i used small bait.
small bait mofish big bait big fish yes until that glutton 12" bass tears up your 2 buck shiner :'(  mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline trying to catch a biggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2007, 09:21 AM »
I catch decent size fish on small shiners,,,i think if a big fish is swimming by and hes hungry he will hit small bait..i snip the tails off my small shiners so if the big fish homes in on the small shiner the small shiner will not be able to get away...

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2007, 09:37 AM »
The next world record bass isn't coming off of a 2" minnow. Stands to reason the same would hold true for hardwater fishing for any species. Sure, small fish will hit a large bait just as a large fish would hit a small bait but, all in all the bait has to fit the fish, chances are that you are going to catch larger fish with larger bait.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline IrishIce99

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am number 1. All others are number 2 or lower."
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2007, 09:48 AM »
Usually that rule applies to almost all species of fish. For panfish, if the bite is slower i always go small because the chances of getting a fish (big of small) are greater than if i used a big shiner.
Support local bait and tackle shops --> Jay-Ve <br />   

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2007, 09:58 AM »
When I fish live bait, I fish small shiners for bows and if I want bigger togue, I fish 4-8" suckers.  Generally speaking, every big fish I have taken, the bait was over 4" long.

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 26, 2007, 06:59 PM »
danderson to be honest i didn't way the ski just had a pic taken and released the fish

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 28, 2007, 01:43 PM »
 I have generally found bigger bait = bigger fish BUT i have caught my biggest pickerel  through the ice a (28incher) on a 1.5" minnow i originally had down for perch but i think that was just plain lucky. I have also seen some big burbot and heard of some massive ones being caught on tiny little glow jigs at night but for the most part fish will eat what ever will give them the most energy for the energy it takes them to eat it
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2007, 02:03 PM »
Main problem I have found if using small baits for bigger fish...the dang hook to hold the bait has to be small also. I usually end up missing the bigger fish because the hook is too small to set right. The point doesn't even get past the barb. Then again, it all comes down to what you are fishing for....... small fish or big fish?  ;D
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2007, 09:57 PM »
I use medium shiners on tip ups when I fish for perch, just so I won't be bothered by so many dinks. Of course, I usually hook some nice bass, but they tend to be medium as well, 12-18''. I stick with the program, cause I don't keep bass at any size; but have no doubt if I moved up to larger bait I would catch clunkers. This applies to a lake with large bass and perch capabilities.

Offline mainefishaddict

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 06, 2007, 10:14 AM »
i always used med shinners. i really dont think its all about the size of the bait, its finding them at the right place at the right time.

Offline powdiddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • what is it ? its fighting like a submarine
« Reply #16 on: Dec 31, 2007, 04:42 PM »
never fished for pike on hardwater until last year and i was using the smaller shiners that we had 3'' to 4''  and i caught way more fish.and i did end up with the biggest pike .i also caught 8 largemouth to the rest of the groups 3 but i'm not sure if it was the smaller bait or the fact that i was using 20 lb floro leader instead of wire like the rest of the guys.and i also was using a single gold aberdeen hook and not trebles.i will use big and smaller shiners  this year and see what happens.still cant get myself to use wire or a treble.

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 08, 2008, 03:59 PM »
If you're looking for numbers I'd lean towards smaller bait but if you want a trophy the bigger the better - my best bass through the ice came on a 6" live shiner.  Bait in the 5-6" range will be taken by bass around 2lbs regularly used to catch them when fishing big shiners for pike.
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline Danderson

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 08, 2008, 04:54 PM »
If you're looking for numbers I'd lean towards smaller bait but if you want a trophy the bigger the better - my best bass through the ice came on a 6" live shiner.  Bait in the 5-6" range will be taken by bass around 2lbs regularly used to catch them when fishing big shiners for pike.

i agree, my 5 and 6 largemouths came on huge pike shiners. i was targeting large pickerel and bass, and finding an excuse to use up my pike bait  ::)

Offline freaknsweet17

• IceShanty Rookie
  • What Are you lookin at?
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2008, 04:41 PM »
i was fishing for pickerel and perch and my biggest shiner (4-5 inches) caught the lone bass
ICE FISHING!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.