Author Topic: Tying Fluor to circle hooks  (Read 1555 times)

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Tying Fluor to circle hooks
« on: Dec 09, 2021, 07:07 PM »
How do you tie 40 lb Fluor to a circle hook?   Going to convert to the circle hooks for pike this year and want to do it right.  Thanks!

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Tying Fluor to circle hooks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2021, 07:28 PM »
Snell Knot.  Easy knot, check the net.

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2021, 07:31 PM »
Thanks

Offline sebago2jigtima

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2021, 07:48 PM »
uni knot
double uni braid to fluro

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2021, 08:08 PM »
Circle hooks must be snelled on to work properly.check out the quick snell knot on youtube.easy to tie.

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 10, 2021, 05:16 AM »
Circle hooks must be snelled on to work properly.check out the quick snell knot on youtube.easy to tie.

The Dr. is correct.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2021, 08:24 AM »
As always this site comes thru with great information.  Yes I know I can find a lot of info on the internet myself but when the info comes from another ice fisherman or fisherwomen on this site I know it is worth checking out.  Also, my computer skills are very limited🤣

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2021, 09:32 AM »
vaughan  Nice to see an acknowledgment from the original poster as to a job well done by the Ice Shanty membership. Some posters never do that ..I know a lot of research can go into answering a post .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2021, 09:41 AM »
Here I been using the palamar knot on circles for decades!

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 10, 2021, 09:53 AM »
I think it helps to snell an up-eye circle hook, but if it is a straight eye, I don't think snelling is necessary.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2021, 09:57 AM »
 I snell all my single hooks for trout, salmon and steelhead

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2021, 10:12 AM »
In reality any hook with a upturned eye should be snelled on.if a clinch knot for example is used it actually pulls the hook point out.when its snelled inline with the hook shank it drives and keeps the point pinned in the fishes mouth.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 11, 2021, 10:24 PM »

So Question.....I don't know if I actually Snell my hooks. The two knots I tie is a Palomar & uni knots.

When tying lines together I do a uni to uni knot. When tying my walleye spinner rigs....I tie a uni on the hooks line a snell.  If I tie to lures or jigs...palomar.

So is a "snell" just a hook tied with a unit knot on it.......or is a Snell a different knot then a uni......

Offline Knot there yet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Sub Zero Mafia Ice Team
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2021, 12:07 AM »
Bow knot ( single bunny ear) let’s hook do it’s job. Snell large diameter floro make it too stiff for hook to preform.  Loop knots work like crimps

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2021, 03:19 AM »
A uni knot can be used as a style of snell. Lead the standing line through the eye and tie it around the shank of the hook. No reason that wouldn't work. A snell works better because it changes the angle of the hook when you pull the string vs having it anchored on the eye itself.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #17 on: Dec 12, 2021, 05:33 AM »
So Question.....I don't know if I actually Snell my hooks. The two knots I tie is a Palomar & uni knots.

When tying lines together I do a uni to uni knot. When tying my walleye spinner rigs....I tie a uni on the hooks line a snell.  If I tie to lures or jigs...palomar.

So is a "snell" just a hook tied with a unit knot on it.......or is a Snell a different knot then a uni......
uni knot is tied on the eye of the hook and snell is a knot that is  wrapped  around the shank of the hook.2 different knots.the easy snell in the vid posted above is my go to for using a leader that's attached to a swivel on a catfish rig then the pic hd posted is tying a upturned eye hook using mainline with no leader.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 12, 2021, 01:46 PM »
Circle hook snell knot.......
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 12, 2021, 05:21 PM »
uni knot is tied on the eye of the hook and snell is a knot that is  wrapped  around the shank of the hook.2 different knots.the easy snell in the vid posted above is my go to for using a leader that's attached to a swivel on a catfish rig then the pic hd posted is tying a upturned eye hook using mainline with no leader.

I just tie my uni knot to the shank of the hook.....like the hook shank was the "other"  line......so....I assume that is a "snelled" hook then.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2021, 08:13 PM »
For eyeless hooks...well they ought to be snelled... ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #21 on: Dec 13, 2021, 07:41 AM »

Never knew this ???, I have used circles on and off for years and haven't used a snell, also haven't had any issues that I know of.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #22 on: Dec 14, 2021, 09:31 AM »
Never knew this ???, I have used circles on and off for years and haven't used a snell, also haven't had any issues that I know of.
its true,you want the hook to cam in the fishes mouth and if tied direct to the eye using a different knot,the hook rotates right,left and up and down which can prevent the circle hook to cam in..tied to shank the pressure holds the point in the mouth.theres a test where you pull the line thru your hand at the thumb and finger,basically simulating a fish mouth ,and run your leader and hook thru while turning your hand away like a fish grabbing it and turning and see that a snelled circle grabs 100%.other knots 85ish maybe which is still decent.ive been using circles for 20+ years on flathead and channel cats and always have snelled.most catfish guys do.each there own tho.whatever works.heres a decent vid that shows what the science is..

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 15, 2021, 02:31 PM »
I'm curious about using a fluoro leader for pike. Ive always used American fishing wire. Does 40lb fluoro hold up to the toothy ones?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #24 on: Dec 15, 2021, 02:41 PM »
Ive used regular 25 to 30lb trilene big game for almost 30 years.i like the forgiving stretch compare to floro.i tried 7 strand wire and twisting my own wire leaders per esox xtm instructions but was not getting the flags i did in years past and went back to mono last year.very few break offs over the years.anyways you can catch snot rockets with 40lb flouro.you might get a break off once in awhile,but just check the leader after every fish.

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 15, 2021, 03:12 PM »
Ive used regular 25 to 30lb trilene big game for almost 30 years.i like the forgiving stretch compare to floro.i tried 7 strand wire and twisting my own wire leaders per esox xtm instructions but was not getting the flags i did in years past and went back to mono last year.very few break offs over the years.anyways you can catch snot rockets with 40lb flouro.you might get a break off once in awhile,but just check the leader after every fish.

Thanks Doc, I'll get some and try that out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.