Author Topic: TUCR quick tip replacement  (Read 894 times)

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
TUCR quick tip replacement
« on: Nov 09, 2021, 10:35 PM »
Looking to replace my tucr quick tip. Was hoping to build something but I don't think I'll have the time. Any off the shelf options?

Offline bigstorm

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: TUCR quick tip replacement
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2021, 01:16 PM »
Have you checked out the TUCR Fusion? It has a different action than the quick tip, the tip loads up almost like a noodle rod and the transition to the backbone is further down the blank. I use it for walleyes and perch

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2021, 01:50 PM »
Have you checked out the TUCR Fusion? It has a different action than the quick tip, the tip loads up almost like a noodle rod and the transition to the backbone is further down the blank. I use it for walleyes and perch
That was their recommendation, I really liked the faster action of the quick tip but may convince myself to buy the fusion.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2021, 03:23 PM »
You should build one.  It really won't take that long, and you'll get twice the rod of a TUCR for 1/2 the money.

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 10, 2021, 03:55 PM »
You should build one.  It really won't take that long, and you'll get twice the rod of a TUCR for 1/2 the money.

I've built quite a few rods, just don't have the time before ice season. The quick tip was the last rod I needed to build something to replace. Broke it two seasons back and after profiling the blank I decided I wasn't going to replicate it. Last season I missed having it as an option. The quick tip has a strange profile that would make for some cutting and a good bit of sanding when compared to the blanks out there. Goes from almost nothing to a real solid backbone quite quickly. I can agree it'd be half the price but imo TUCR aren't bad rods they just aren't what most builders consider custom. I don't need any of the artistic nonsense that most custom folks get excited about lately.

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2021, 06:06 AM »
Hweber, i have a 28" cork handle, standard blue thread TUCR i can be talked out of. i havent used it for a few seasons. i have the bullwhip, the powernoodle, and the precision models, so don,t use it. PM me ,n, we,ll talk. P.S. everyone, i,m looking for a med. 28" RED MOJO ( first model) to complete a set. thanks, wire

Offline bwjay

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 11, 2021, 09:20 PM »
I love my TUCR rods, but my Fusion is my least favorite. It does not have a fast tip. I find it pretty difficult to detect light bites with it. I don't know, maybe I just haven't found its niche. But I don't think it's a replacement for a Quick Tip.

Offline Gotem123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2021, 05:12 PM »
Maybe I missed it, but why did they discontinue the quick tip?  Seemed to be a very popular rod.

Offline Baetis62

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2021, 09:49 PM »
Maybe the tip was too fragile for more people than I.  I have 2 and one snapped a tip off with normal use the first year I had it and I rarely break rods.  Maybe snapped one other tip off in 20 years.  I threaded on a Ice Strong so it still gets used often enough but that makes it a different setup all together.  I handle the other QT gingerly.  I like the the QT a lot and can see why it was a popular rod for Eyes but the Fusion suits my needs quite well.  They are not much alike IMO. 

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2021, 10:11 PM »
Fished my quick tip for quite a few seasons. Used it for anything from crappie to eyes. Landed dozens of 10 pound plus fish with it. Most were carp but still large fish  ;) broke the darn thing being lazy packing up. Put it in a bucket instead of my hard case with my other rods. No clue why it was discontinued was just given the recommendation of the fusion which as mentioned behaves differently

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.